back to article Big Blue boasts cloud drag-and-drop

In IBM's world, some clouds are public, and others are private. There's blue sky between them, but high-flying IBM engineers believe they can bring the two together. Inside its Silicon Valley Lab, an hour south of San Francisco, Big Blue is running a so-called "cloud management console" designed to seamlessly move application …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

IBM sez ... WHAT, exactly?

"With Big Blue's drag-and-drop demo, all data remains on the private cloud. The public cloud handles nothing but processing."

Holy Farting Mary ... Does anybody, anywhere, buy into that line of bullshit?

Oh. That's right. It's "cloud computing", so it must be OK ... Marketing says so.

Gawd/ess ... I'm going to make more money in retirement cleaning up after these kids than I made in the last third of a century. Sometimes I think I'm surrounded by idiots ...

2. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Alien

Danegeld Blue Chip Investments

""With Big Blue's drag-and-drop demo, all data remains on the private cloud. The public cloud handles nothing but processing."

Holy Farting Mary ... Does anybody, anywhere, buy into that line of bullshit?" .... By jake Posted Tuesday 10th February 2009 08:47 GMT

Yes, jake, some do. Especially those who can especially compartmentalise information and secure their own private data clouds for Intelligence Lock Down and Lock Out.

IBM's Real Mr Big Trick though, for them to stay as Industry Lead, is for them to Buy into/Purchase those Systems Players which can Lock out and Lock Down their Plans. As you can easily Imagine, that would be Something of Considerable Interest to a Lenovo Cloning Control Operation or a Foreign Energy Power Producer, whether Raw Natural as in a Russia or Definitively Refined as in a Japan.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Joke

"Intelligence Lock Down and Lock Out"

Well now that sounds like SOP for a lot of people to me.

4. Suburban Inmate
    Linux

@jake

My thoughts exactly!

I was thinking along the lines of how far you would need to obfuscate the task you're performing privately so that an insider (i.e. on the other end of the VPLS: Malware, BOFH or whatever) cannot capture the data and run some kind of crypto/statistical attack upon it.

5. jake Silver badge

@amfM

"Yes, jake, some do. Especially those who can especially compartmentalise information and secure their own private data clouds for Intelligence Lock Down and Lock Out."

But that's not what IBM is trying to sell ... IBM is trying to convince people that their data won't be vulnerable because it's only the processing that is being done at IBM, while all their corporate data remains safe "at home" ... which is where my WTF? comment came from ... See the diff?

Put another way ... once corporate data is transferred from hardware(1) to hardware(2), hardware(1) no longer has full control of that data.

Try to remember that data, instructions, I/O and CPU are all states of hardware ... Software is a myth invented by marketing departments.

Agree that IBM wants to stay a market leader. Who wouldn't?

6. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Alien

Selling to Governments or Alternative Entrepreneurs, Quantum, ....

...... is just the Same, for there is No Real Difference between them, except that the Latter appear to be Much More Honest and Involved in their Business than the Former.

""Intelligence Lock Down and Lock Out" ... Well now that sounds like SOP for a lot of people to me." ..... By Pascal Monett Posted Tuesday 10th February 2009 10:55 GMT

Yes, Pascal, it does/is, but very few can guarantee and provide it, because of what they do. And that makes them easy prey to those who can, or even better still, in the more sophisticated betas available from special agents/cloud manufacturers, easy prey to those who would purchase/licence the facility to work to their stealthy advantage.

It is one of those Magic Invisible Export Earners which makes its Programs/Programmers/Clients, an Indecently Obscene Fortune and all for the Cost of a Call/Invite/Returnable Investment ...... which is about as close to Money for Nothing and the Chicks for Free as you are ever likely to get without being criminal in a Criminal Society. And IT is an Immaculate Trojan for them to remain way ahead of the Great Game and leading IT too.

It does though require ITs AIgents/Channels/Partners to Possess and/or Accept Provision of Tact and Sensitivity and that Stirling Stalwart of Sterling Stealth, whenever out and about in the Market Place of Spooky Bazaars, Plausible Deniability. But hey, whenever that is also so easily Provided, who wouldn't Buy into IT, although there are no prizes for guessing ...Maybe a one eyed Scottish idiot working to a failed and failing foreign agenda?

7. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Alien

Big Blue Blowing Hot Air ... and Running EMPtied and on EMPty

"Gawd/ess ... I'm going to make more money in retirement cleaning up after these kids than I made in the last third of a century. Sometimes I think I'm surrounded by idiots ..."

Surely, jake, you know that most of the time you are surrounded by idiots and those who have no Concept of what Virtualisation in Clouded Controls can do/is doing. And as you say, it is like taking candy from a baby , tidying up after/for them.

"But that's not what IBM is trying to sell ... IBM is trying to convince people that their data won't be vulnerable because it's only the processing that is being done at IBM, while all their corporate data remains safe "at home" ... which is where my WTF? comment came from ... See the diff?

Put another way ... once corporate data is transferred from hardware(1) to hardware(2), hardware(1) no longer has full control of that data." ... By jake Posted Wednesday 11th February 2009 06:26 GMT

I wish IBM luck in their sell but it does render third party advantage to them [IBM] with newly processed IBM information trying to lead/replacing corporate data ...... and surely that is what your second paragraph clearly states? But as you say, who wouldn't want to stay in the lead.

In the lead with idiots though is hardly going to render them that Goal. Methinks they have lost the WAI and their sparkle .... which is a problem always of a Lack of Necessary Future Ability/PreCogniscence right at the top of the Executive Pyramid and thus is easily fixed with a Fit and Proper Replacement/Novel* Appointment.

* Well, it would have to be different in order to be different from the present failure. More of the same is not an option.

And how very strange that the Banking and Finance Sectors would think that things will stay much the same, rather than being Fundamentally different. But then what can one reasonably expect of idiots other than sorry nonsense.

8. jake Silver badge

@amfM

"Surely, jake, you know that most of the time you are surrounded by idiots and those who have no Concept of what Virtualisation in Clouded Controls can do/is doing. And as you say, it is like taking candy from a baby , tidying up after/for them."

Yeah, I get it. But what a waste of brain power! Surely we should be advancing, not stagnating?

"surely that is what your second paragraph clearly states?"

Yes. Not absolutely certain of Martian syntax, trying to make my point clear.

"In the lead with idiots though is hardly going to render them that Goal. Methinks they have lost the WAI and their sparkle .... which is a problem always of a Lack of Necessary Future Ability/PreCogniscence right at the top of the Executive Pyramid"

It's MBAs making techie decisions ... with predictable results.

"and thus is easily fixed with a Fit and Proper Replacement/Novel* Appointment."

Ain't gonna happen. Follow the money. MBAs don't care about technology.

"* Well, it would have to be different in order to be different from the present failure. More of the same is not an option."

To an MBA, it is the only option, unfortunately. I had the pleasure of working for Bill & David for a time, and later TOPS-10 DEC. We'll never see the like again.

"And how very strange that the Banking and Finance Sectors would think that things will stay much the same, rather than being Fundamentally different. But then what can one reasonably expect of idiots other than sorry nonsense."

Banking and finance have no clue how the equipment works. From my perspective, they think that addition, subtraction and percentages can't change, so there is no reason to eyeball technology, because it can't change either ... I'm beginning to think I should take advantage of the clueless idiots ... but I'm fundamentally too honest :-/

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like