Cisco is urging admins to update their wireless LAN hardware following the discovery of multiple vulnerabilities in its enterprise Wi-Fi kit. Security flaws in Cisco Wireless LAN Controllers, Cisco Catalyst 6500 Wireless Services Modules (WiSMs), and Cisco Catalyst 3750 Integrated Wireless LAN Controllers create a mechanism for …
What about my home Linksys router with its Cisco logo on the front? No mention of that but is it safe?
This is a warning for big, high load carrying enterprise kit. Frankly if you've pissed off someone enough to get them trying to DoS your broadband line, no home router stands a chance, Linksys or otherwise!
Cisco, the Microsoft of hardware
Ha ha ha. And you pay double (or triple) for that quality!
All equipment/software contains vulnerabilities - its just a matter of time before they are discovered. It just so happens that Cisco kit is so popular that statistically there's a higher chance of a vuln being discovered (than say a lessor vendor), and that people will go out of their way to exploit it purely for the kick.
wou;dnt be running old firmware anyway!
these software releases are fairly old - anyone keeping up with bug-fixes,
features etc would already be running the latest firmware anyway
of course, you'll then hit the caveats and bugs in the newer release - but
at least those ones aren't known/published yet! ;-)
- Boffins attempt to prove the UNIVERSE IS JUST A HOLOGRAM
- China building SUPERSONIC SUBMARINE that travels in a BUBBLE
- Review Raspberry Pi B+: PHWOAR, get a load of those pins
- That 8TB Seagate MONSTER? It's HERE... (You'll have to squint, 'cos there are no specs)
- Review Reg man looks through a Glass, darkly: Google's toy ploy or killer tech specs?