back to article American Stereotype™ walks Google's mean Street View

We're fully aware that some of our UK readers have pretty well decided that the average American wears a baseball cap, Harley-Davidson sweatshirt, jeans and cowboy boots and walks the mean streets of the Land of the Free with a hunting rifle while swigging from a bottle of hard liquor. Nothing, of course, could be further from …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Joe
    Thumb Up

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahahaha that is TOO perfect!

2. Alex
    Pirate

may I be the first to say

HELL YEAH!

that is all.

3. alan
    Happy

I am waiting for the British equivilent

A group of 13 year old hoddies, with knives and cider :)

4. Rick Giles
    Joke

Easy....

Or you will get a cap popped in yo ass!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Nope

Hes not a stereotypical Merk'n, he looks quite slim and there's not a V8 pickup piled high with dead deer in the photo.

6. Bassey

Obviously a fake

The rifle has obviously been photo-shopped in but that doesn't matter in the least. A fake well done, with a sense of humour, is a wonderful thing.

7. John McNeally
    Thumb Up

Wohooo.....

Stereotypes are the best ;)

He looks mormon...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Watch out

Lester Haines, I don't know where you're based, but if it's in North America I recommend you wear a Kevlar vest at all times because there is a high chance this guy will not be amused...

If he is upset and you're not careful... well, the icon says it all...

9. Jan

YeeeeHaawww

...´nuff said

10. Adam Williamson

Baseball?

Nah. More like UFC. Or NASCAR.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How?

How do people keep finding stuff like this?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Blighty must respond!

Only a picture of an 18 year old drunken chavette being taken from behind while she gropes for a bag of chips while her two children, Chantelle and Jason, look on, will do!

13. Boz
    Happy

What the...?

Mom, put down that frito pie! Dad is on el reg!

14. Anonymous Scotsman

</title>

What amuses me the most is that he appears to have dress-shoes on...

15. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Bottom of the screen...

... I just love the option at the bottom of the screen... "Report a concern".

Unfortunately, I fear it may be rather too late for this chap's wife and kids!

16. Dan

Optional accessories for this picture

Confederate Flag

Can of Budweiser in right hand

17. Will Shaw
    Thumb Up

"Report a concern"

Ha! Loving the link bottom left of the image. "Report a concern" indeed. Hmmm, where do I start?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

fsckin' awesome

even the moustache fits

19. easyk

that container is a Thermos

not a bottle

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

May

I be the first to welcome our gun-toting, liquour-drinking overlords.

21. alan
    Happy

Re Anonymous Coward 13:28 GMT

its not v8 pickups piled high with dead deer its Google Street View cars :)

22. Tim

@ Bassey

Surely it hasn't been photoshopped... as if you follow the link to it direct on Google then there the gun is still. Unless I'm being dim & am unaware that people have write access to Streetview to enable them to photoshop stuff. Which would be a whole lot of fun, come to think of it.

Oh, have we had either (a) the roadsign hacking story which is doing the rounds (e.g. http://www.thevine.com.au/blog/tobler1/iz-in-yr-box-steeling-yr-worningz.aspx ) or (b) any playmobil?

Tim#3

23. Nick Davey
    Thumb Down

@ Wohoooo

Actually (active) Mormons don't drink alcohol so I doubt that he is really. Just sticking up for my homies.

24. Psymon
    Coat

american sterotype?

There's no ways he's an American!

Yeah, he dresses the part, he's got the gun, the moustache, the cap...

but he's at least 200lbs underweight!

To be the all-encompasing stereotype that world instantly recognises as 100% burger munching stars and stripes, he needs to be taller when he lies on his back than standing up!

25. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

Up with this sort of thing...

I've got some corkers, to which address should we submit them?

PS where the playmobile reconstruction? It is friday isn't it?

26. Stu
    Thumb Up

So how come...

...Google StreetView car didn't knock HIM down and send him sprawling across the pavement at 60mph, all finely captured across a 4 frame comic strip style recreation, as the streetview car trundled on?

Now thats what I would call a senseful killing!

27. Conrad Longmore

He's just leaving the gun shop

The shop on the corner of the street is a gun shop - http://www.firststopguns.com/aboutus.php - so I guess that kind of explains it.

Although seriously.. put it in a gun bag dude. What's amazing is that nobody seems to care.

I can see an el Reg Playmobil mocukip..

28. Matt
    Thumb Up

pickup....

if you pan round a bit you will see an assortment of pickups for him to choose from!

29. Solomon Grundy

Party Pooper?

Everything else seems to be correct, but the "bottle" he's carrying is what we call a "thermos". That's actually a brand name so it should be "Thermos", but we apply it to any of the magical containers that keep hot things hot and cold things cold. I'm sure you islanders have something similar.

While I'm absolutely certain he's not carrying a bottle of liquor, I can not vouch for the contents of the thermos. But if I were guessing it'd be vodka with a bit of coffee mixed in or straight bourbon.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

FYI

Keep in mind, he's in South Dakota. Like, 5 people live in South Dakota. Hunting rifles are very common in SD, and part of everyday life. Ever wonder why the biker rally at Sturgis, SD never turns into a bunch of thugs trashing the town? It's because the residents have the bikers outgunned.

On a side note, the pic makes it kind of look like he's pointing the gun ahead of himself, but it's at a funny angle, so I think the barrel is actually pointed down (so the gun is not pointing at anyone, which is good because it's very rude to point a gun at someone, even accidentally, even if the gun is unloaded).

BTW, SD has one of the lowest crime rates in the country, so you can all stop being asses about the fact he has a gun.

31. Kate
    Heart

Chavs

This IS pretty funny... but it's most definitely not something you'd see every day.

London, however? You can't swing a dead cat without hitting some half witted, knife-wielding chav.

32. Peyton

@watch out

No, Lester need not be concerned. I have encountered this type of compatriot in the wild, and they are usually most proud of whatever degree of arsenal they manage to accumulate. After all, those guns are not cheap, and represent many paychecks - think of it as his version of a Ferrari. If he learns of his new célèbre, the only thing Lester should be wary of is an invitation to the resulting party (probably involving vast amounts of PBR* and tiki torches).

*a profoundly cheap American beer

33. Dave
    Happy

Face

Nice to see that Google blurred his face, or did they? ...

34. Doug Glass
    Paris Hilton

Well Just Damn!!

What did I tell him about wearing those damn wimpy faded jeans! He's supposed to be wearing original Levi's! And he calls himself a Glock man. Damn I'm embarrassed.

Paris because even she knows what pants to wear.

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Rick Giles

"you will get a cap popped in yo ass!"

-are you suggesting the use of some kind of anal contraceptive? I don't get it.

36. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Thermos

magical containers that keep hot things hot and cold things cold

yeah, but how does it know?

just because she's puzzled too.

37. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Oh no!

A hunter during hunting season is carrying a hunting rifle and a hot jug of coffee! Will the problems never end? This poor guy is about to go out and shoot at some poor, defenseless, antlered, fast as a deer or elk, deer or elk that only outweigh him three or eight or so to one! They should never be hunted and should be allowed to overpopulate and die from starvation and disease after eating all the farmers' crops, I tell ya!

38. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

sigh

Gotta love the Brits for attacking US gun ownership. You guys have no personal guns and you still have gun crime, and stabbings are up, woooooo! I can make stereotypes too, ready? All Londoners are pasty, tea drinking ninnys. See it's easy.

My guess is this guy had just purchased the rifle. You see there is a sports/hunting store at 513 7th st.

http://yp.yahoo.com/yp/Rapid_City_SD/Recreation_and_Sports_Sporting_Goods/8111484.html

Way to be an ass author.

39. Andy Bright

@FYI

Lowest crime rates? I always find that one amusing. In Alaska you can buy machine guns and assault rifles in Walmart. This guy would be getting at least 2 tickets in Anchorage but in SD he's not breaking any laws. Does that make Anchorage a more dangerous place to live because it has crime statistics that include arresting people for getting drunk in public places?

My feeling the city that gets drunks off the street, particularly armed drunks, is the better place to live. Even if that means a statistic is higher because of it.

40. James
    Joke

@John McNeally

"Wohooo.....

Stereotypes are the best ;)

He looks mormon..."

Did you mean to say moron?

41. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So what?

Well, that's South Dakota, so what's the problem?

Enjoy your Nanny State™

42. Stuart Butterworth
    Flame

@AC 18:01GMT

>>I can make stereotypes too, ready? All Londoners are pasty, tea drinking ninnys. See it's easy.

That may well be true for Londoners, but up here in the North of England, we are a different breed from those southern pansies.

Londoners are a bunch of soft nancy-boys, while we are real, red-blooded, hairy-chested MEN!!

The average Mancunian could kick the average Londoners arse any day of the week - so please stop lumping us in with them soft buggers, please...

43. Paul Leroux
    Gates Horns

rednecks

I am sure his sister is waiting for him across the street sitting in their pickup truck

44. dontsurf
    Go

Set up...

Sometimes these things are set up, go to Google Maps and enter :

8 Sampsonia Way, Pittsburgh, Allegheny, PA 15212

Walk down the street and have a look around.

45. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Stuart Butterworth

"The average Mancunian could kick the average Londoners arse any day of the week"

Then why are all Northern England football supporters so scared of Chelsea and Millwall fans then? Why is the home of the British army just outside London? Why all the most famous English boxing gyms in London? I could go on, but I need to give my (Hull born and bred) assistant a slap for forgetting to make the tea.

46. theotherone

how in

how in God's name did these people get independence from, and then overtake you?

47. chris

yep..

welcome to America where we haven't traded in our god given rights in exchange for constant interference from the government.

how are you Brits enjoying those Truvelos and Gatsos by the way? your tax money paid for them.

48. ian

@Stuart

Arrr Stuarrrt! Dinna come to Glasgow, ye cake-eatin, Beurla-speaker. Arrr!

I love listening to stereo-types.

49. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doesn't look like a bottle to me...

Look at the way he grips or, or zoom out one level.

Looks like an appointment book or some kind of case.

50. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Smells like...

Envy :)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.