STMicro is laying off 4,500 people - one in ten of its workforce - and won't provide revenue guidance for next year until the market is clearer. The company will cut $700m from expenses in 2009 by slashing jobs and "resizing" manufacturing operations. STMicro makes chips for industrial applications, set-top boxes and cars. …
Not enough fanboys buying the latest cutting-edge high end gizmos? Damn, imagine that.
To quote the article "STMicro makes chips for industrial applications, set-top boxes and cars."
That's a real company than employs real people, designs and makes real things, all of which are used by other manufacturers of real things. This is the real economy, stupid.
- Asteroids as powerful as NUCLEAR BOMBS hit Earth TWICE YEARLY
- Review Ubuntu 14.04 LTS: Great changes, but sssh don't mention the...
- Vid CEO Tim Cook sweeps Apple's inconvenient truths under a solar panel
- Got Windows 8.1 Update yet? Get ready for YET ANOTHER ONE – rumor
- HTC mulls swoop for Nokia's MASSIVE Chennai plant