STMicro is laying off 4,500 people - one in ten of its workforce - and won't provide revenue guidance for next year until the market is clearer. The company will cut $700m from expenses in 2009 by slashing jobs and "resizing" manufacturing operations. STMicro makes chips for industrial applications, set-top boxes and cars. …
Not enough fanboys buying the latest cutting-edge high end gizmos? Damn, imagine that.
To quote the article "STMicro makes chips for industrial applications, set-top boxes and cars."
That's a real company than employs real people, designs and makes real things, all of which are used by other manufacturers of real things. This is the real economy, stupid.
- YARR! Pirates walk the plank: DMCA magnets sink in Google results
- Pics Whisper tracks its users. So we tracked down its LA office. This is what happened next
- Review Xperia Z3: Crikey, Sony – ANOTHER flagship phondleslab?
- Ex-US Navy fighter pilot MIT prof: Drones beat humans - I should know
- OnePlus One cut-price Android phone on sale to all... for 1 HOUR