back to article DDoS attack boots Kyrgyzstan from net

The central Asian republic of Kyrgyzstan was effectively knocked offline for more than a week by a Russian cybermilitia that continues to flood the country's internet providers with crippling data attacks, a security expert said. The attacks, which began on January 18, bear the signature of pro-Russian nationalists believed to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

State sponsored terrorism?

People in some of these former USSR states are really quite spooked by stuff like that. The boogey man exists, can come and get you and nobody is going to help you.

How safe are you now?

Then add in some percentage of the population that are non-local (usually 2nd or 3rd generation ex-USSR emigre?) and they are likely to perceive it as help. Where once they were the elite uberlording on the locals now...

It's all a bit too spooky and far worse than an Ian Fleming novel?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Didn't respond to emails?

Not surprising really, I think I read somewhere that they were suffering some sort of DDos attack.......

3. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

meh

I can understand the unlikely Russian government involvement in the attacks on the Estonian and Georgian infrastructure – though in both cases the responsible parties where outraged Russians. Forums where flooded with batch scripts and tools, designed to be simple; end-user just extracts the zip, runs the cmd, and becomes part of the Russian government’s attack on [current evil]

HOWEVER. Public opinion genuine or orchestrated is always followed up by media campaigns – there is nothing about the “evil” Kirgiz on the news/blogs now.

If ever there was something that the Russian government has nothing to do with – this is it.

4. John Savard

Simple Response

When this sort of thing happens, simply cut all the cables by which Internet traffic enters or leaves Russia. That would make it difficult for hackers in Russia to interfere with the Internet. Presumably, the Russian government would take stopping this sort of thing a high priority once this policy is in place.

5. foo_bar_baz
    Paris Hilton

Russians

Is it just me or do the tend Russians come across as juveniles with huge issues with self esteem? Make them lose face or even look at them the wrong way and BAM.

Paris because even she is more mature.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Russian Government

right up there with North Korea, what a joke and a shame.

Acting like third world dictators when they could be a respected, responsible world power.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like