Feeds

back to article Wi-Fi roaming: US T-Mobile gets it, BT drops it

While BT is busy cutting off its Fusion customers, T-Mobile USA has announced a deal with Meru to provide cellular roaming to Wi-Fi networks. BT is replacing BT Fusion Business with Office Anywhere, which the former monopoly describes as being cheaper and coming with a free BlackBerry too. But for customers who were using Fusion …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Coat

Great idea for your parents...

I was at the Sprint store the other day, explaining to the staff (they always love it when I come in - I answer all the questions that their tech support can't) how femtocell technology works with the new little broadband-cellular bridge. It's a nice concept, and has immediate application for those folks that can't use their cell phone at home. Like my parents who live in an RF hole up in north Texas.

Mr. Ray is right, however: without a solid roll-out in commercial areas - like at the Mall, major office buildings and apartment complexes, most of which are RF holes, this is at best a PR gimmick. Unless you have enough radio background to understand when to use this technology, it's an expensive toy that is probably not needed - nay, is counter-productive.

Worse yet, here in the American Colonies only about half of the public Wi-Fi is "open". Most of the places you'd have your iPhone or Wi-Fi Blackberry connecting to 802.11 still charge a pretty penny for connections (mostly hotels, airports and convention centers), making the "seamless" switch impossible. And, of course, at home you stand a better chance of connecting to a neighbor's Wi-Fi than your own - especially if you keep high security on your bridge and they don't. Furthermore, at most high-density living locations (blocks of flats with hundreds of thousands of residents) there is so much channel interference that Wi-Fi is rendered almost useless. (My parents have an off-channel (1) connection for one machine: the rest are hard-wired to the router anyway.)

With luck we'll see some intelligent deployment of femtocell technology over the coming year...but I doubt it...

Why is BT a former monopoly but...

not T-Mobile (Deutsche Telecom)?

Seems like el reg likes to bite some hands and suck up to others....

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: Why is BT a former monopoly but...

>Seems like el reg likes to bite some hands and suck up to others

New here, dear?

This topic is closed for new posts.