Feeds

back to article Red Dwarf finally returns to Earth

It's taken them 21 years, but this Easter the crew of Red Dwarf will finally return to Earth in a two-part special which reunites many of the original cast. The homecoming is courtesy of digital channel Dave, which on Friday 10 April will broadcast the first installment of Red Dwarf: Back to Earth - penned by the show's co- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Paris Hilton

Excellent!!

But will it star Kochanshi?

Alien

Smoke me a kipper

I thought Barrie and Charles weren't exactly the best of mates - surprised they would be willing to do this.

Was never much good after about series IV anyway....left too long between series when charles was on remand.

Happy

Ahem:

May I be the first to say:

YES YES YES YES YES YES OH GOOD GRIEF YES!

To be honest I don't care how badly they screw it up, I will watch it, and let my inner fanboi revel...

Anonymous Coward

A classic returns

Sci-Fi at its best. The UK has the talent to pull of interesting stuff, I say we ditch the soap operas and start producing more stuff like this.

21 years?

Have I travelled into a time warp where it's 2020 all of a sudden?

Alien

Smoke me a Kipper!

They'll be back in time for easter.

Happy

Finally!

Any new Dwarf is good news as far as I'm concerned - even though seasons 7-8 weren't the best... I'm gonna assume that Dave's budget isn't going to be anywhere near the BBC's (especially in the last few years of the series)...

... Although this could be a good thing and force Doug Naylor back to basics...

All good!

Thumb Down

If it's anything

like season 4 onwards then I'll decline the invite thanks.

Joe
Unhappy

I have a very, very bad feeling about this...

I just don't think it can come close to the originals, especially as series 7 and 8 were so poor once Grant left the writing staff *sigh*

Stop

Half the genius

It was the writing team of Grant and Naylor that produced the best of red Dwarf, up to series 6. After that it went into terminal decline and it would have been a very good idea to let it rest in peace.

Ash
Thumb Up

Oh dear god...

They should have stopped at Series 6.

Still, i'll watch it anyway. For posterity, if nothing else!

Alien

i for one

welcome our drug taking, smart talking comedy actor overlords

Yay!

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

This is all very well...

...but it's not going to fulfill my Claire Grogan requirements.

Happy

Smeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Good news - provided it's better than the last two series.....................................

Thumb Up

I can't wait....

I think Red Dwarf is brilliant..

So much so I have just bought the 10 disc series from play..

Doug Naylor only

that's a shame, as his solo stuff has never been as good as what was done with Rob Grant

jai
Silver badge

smoke me a kipper, i'll be back for easter

the title "back to earth" makes me worried though

surely they won't actually get there will they? i mean, the whole point was that we knew they would never ever get home, but they carried on anyway

still - smegging brilliant news that there's more Red Dwarf coming up. here's hoping it kick starts more seasons of the show

(to be honest though, you're months late with this news, i'm sure i read about it on the red dwarf website before xmas)

Thumb Up

hopefully better than series 8

sweet, something *potentially* decent to watch on telly

Thumb Up

Smoke me a kipper, skipper. I'll be back for more cash.

I really really hope that the cast have done this because they wanted to, and not just because they needed the cash. Let's hope that Naylor and Dave can do it properly.

Happy

smeg

smegging great!

Thumb Up

she's not mentioned

As Chloe Arnett isn't mentioned, I'm hoping against hope that she won't be returning for the special!

Fingers crossed!

Unhappy

[spoiler]

Damnit, now I have to go and get catastrophically drunk to forget you said they're going to return to earth!

Also, old news for hardcore Dwarfers :D

Happy

He's arnold, arnold, arnold rimmer!

hooray its about time, and glad to see the old cast back, not some dumbass rehash.

Smoke me a kipper, i'll be back for breakfast!

What about Kochanski though????

Thumb Up

A Title,

Lets hope they set it at wizards school and not ruin it

Tom

Opening

Opening sequence I will say will show the ending of the last episode.. and then cut to 10 years later

Lister "Well that was a boring trip"

Kryton "But Sir, what about 7 years ago when you ripped your pants, that was amusing"

Lister stares blankly

Cat "Well at least ive aged with grace, you look like you have been dragged through a cupboard of dead hedgehogs"

s
Bronze badge
Heart

Such a shame it's not on the BBC

Thery don't have Dave over here (NL) so I guess I'll have to miss it :(

Must admit though that with only one half of grant-naylor I don't expect it to be great - but I'm such a dwarfer that I don't care I'd still watch it given half a chance...

Boys from the dwarf!

Great news, but ...

For smegs sake I hope they leave Kochanski out of this ...

"Is it me or are those frogs saying useless?"

Silver badge
Thumb Up

As long as its not like Series 7....

....This is some awesome news.

Paris Hilton

@ Cameron Colle

21 years to get back to earth, not 21 years for the next installment

Paris Hilton

Hope it doesn't suck

Also hope that it carries on from the cliff hanger from series 8, but I'm betting it won't

It's crazy that we've had to wait 10 years!

Thumb Up

Break out Racheal

Puncture repair kit on standby, Sir.

Heart

Boys from the dwarf

[Wave hands]

"For smegs sake I hope they leave Kochanski out of this ..."

Agreed.

Happy

Please rush me my portable walrus polishing kit.

Four super brushes that will clean even the trickiest of seabound mammals. Yes, I am over eighteen, though my IQ isn't.

I don't hold out much hope after the last 2 series but maybe that because...............

"My brain's rebelled. It just won't accept nice things happening to me."

Thumb Up

Fell off a cliff after series 6...

...even so, I really, really want to see it.

Please though, no Kochanski, no Max from Eastenders, and no more Duane Dibley (it was funny twice, leave it now.)

Thumb Up

yay

yay!!!1

Joke

Other sci-fi returns to Earth

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA 1980.

Oh the horror.

Thumb Up

And back on Earth....

"Where is everyone?"

"They're all dead Dave, Dave everybodys dead."

"What, the President, the Police all the Activists?"

"They're all dead Dave. Dave, everybodys dead. Everybodys dead dave."

Thumb Up

Better Smeg Than Dead

*message ends*

Alien

As good as "This Life" revisited?

It's going to be shite. You know it's going to be shite. Everyone will say it's very good at the time but we'll all know it's being said through gritted teeth. Then after a year everyone will admit it was shite and start slagging it off, yet still remain hopeful for a film version.

That's sci-fi fans for you.

Anonymous Coward

:-o

smeg...

jai
Silver badge
IT Angle

spin my nipple nuts and send me to alaska

someone's going to ask what the IT angle is, aren't they?

and the answer is, of course:

"If Silicon Heaven doesn't exist, then where do all the calculators go?"

Go

Committee for liberation & intergration of terrorfying organisms & their reintergration into society

i pray to silicon heaven this doesnt end up like a complete fail! red dwarf has to be one of britains best shows in the 20th century. please dont much up this chance!!!

i gues chloe anette didnt want to come back?

Coat

Just a thought...

Pity its not April 1st they say their showing the program...

..then pull it at the last minute and show a repeat episode?

Then it would be April, May, June, July and August fool :- )

Mines the one with a Tension Sheet in the pocket.

Bronze badge

some questions

which Kochanski? (if either)

which Holly?

will the Red Dwarf itself even feature? Starbug was cool and all, but it wasn't the Serenity.

plus, they've already been back to earth: everything went backwards.

Thumb Up

Nice one Dave

Good to see the boys from the Dwarf back for a special.

They never really wrapped up the series with season 8's ending, but I have to agree with the commentors above it wasn't the same since they introduced Kochanski in 7 to replace Rimmer. (bringing back the crew from the dead in 8 was the kiss of death to the show)

My hope is that for the specials they go back to basics of what the show was about.

Happy

Well Spin My Nipple Nuts And Send Me To Alaska!

Well done DAVE. First Argumental, now Red Dwarf.

Glad to see that they are moving away from being just a "repeats" channel.

Since Red Dwarf 8 I haven't seen anything on the BBC that IMHO qualified as even remotely funny, and before anyone mentions "The Office",... I'd rather have testicular electro-shock torture!

Even if it's crap, the worst of the Dwarf is better than pretty much anything that's on our 400+ channels today. Can't wait! :-)

Thumb Up

@Such a shame it's not on the BBC

I expect it will be on the torrents by the end of the day!

Anonymous Coward

Please make it more like the original

In later series we had such nonsense as Kryten choking on his own throat to talk Gelf, even though they sounded like they had a more structured language when first encountered. Everything else falls apart the same way, like the Kat being a shadow of his former independent cool self.

Happy

I guess its time to...

dust of my old "Better smeg than dead" t-shirt...oh the memories of a great show, will have to record for my in-law as he loves it too...

Do hope they don't spoil it though, would be a shame after all this time to go a balls it up.

Maybe the G.E.L.F could make a re-appearance...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.