The economy has been hard on boutique server maker Rackable Systems, but the company keeps tweaking its designs in the hope that a broad portfolio of servers and storage will win a little more business in hyperscale data centers. Today, Rackable launched a new line of products that do what many of us in the server space have …
Slice, dice and into the crapper they go.;-)! When will they erver learn? When will they ever learn?
Interesting stuff. Anyone know if they're suitable for connecting to a san and using them disklessly? It would be nice to have a small form factor alternative to blades :)
Just don't get it
The big deal with virtualisation is you can take a bunch of low usage servers and have them all share the same resource. This means that there is less chance of the hardware sitting there idle because chances are one of the servers will be doing something to keep the hardware busy and as a bonus that server has access to almost the entire computing capacity available.
Using a bunch of "tiny servers" doesn't provide this. If you have 10 such servers and only one is busy, then you have 9 idling servers and one server that has access to only 10% of the available resources.
What a crappy idea.
- Pics Whisper tracks its users. So we tracked down its LA office. This is what happened next
- Review Xperia Z3: Crikey, Sony – ANOTHER flagship phondleslab?
- Ex-US Navy fighter pilot MIT prof: Drones beat humans - I should know
- Human spacecraft dodge COMET CHUNKS pelting off Mars
- Downrange Are you a gun owner? Let us in OR ELSE, say Blighty's top cops