Hard drive storage is based on switching magnetic states by magnetism. Switching by laser light could be much faster and could be used on non-spinning media. Laser light switching of a magnetic medium is described in a PhD thesis, Laser-Induced Femtosecond Magnetic Recording, written by Dr Daniel Stanciu, currently a researcher …
It's fantastic to see that there's corporate investment in this sort of basic research. They'll need to put some time into the firmware too though.
May I be the first to welcome our picosecond wielding lazer shooting overlords of immense memory?
Pizzo electric. Yeah. It's like a pizza, but when you flex it it generates an electric current.
Maybe after the recent news about their CEO etc.
it won't be Seagate doing it.
pewpew ftw pwnt omgwtf win
I was very disappointed that GMR did not involve Giants with Magnets.
Similarly, disappointed by the Pizzo-Electric effect.
Atomic Force Microscopes anyone? And who are Atomic Force? I suspect that they are DC rather than Marvel and include a particularly wanky superhero along the lines of Van der Waals force Boy.
- Review Xperia Z3: Crikey, Sony – ANOTHER flagship phondleslab?
- Pics Whisper tracks its users. So we tracked down its LA office. This is what happened next
- Human spacecraft dodge COMET CHUNKS pelting off Mars
- Ex-US Navy fighter pilot MIT prof: Drones beat humans - I should know
- Downrange Are you a gun owner? Let us in OR ELSE, say Blighty's top cops