New York state has scrapped plans for a statewide emergency network on the (not unreasonable) grounds that the contractor can't make the thing work as promised. The state has already spent $54 million since the contract to build the network was awarded to M/A-COM back in 2004, but it hopes to get that money back - as stipulated …
Talk to London Lord Mayor Boris...
...about the system in London that has just been commissioned and works in the Underground system...
Of course, the requirements will be different, but it's a start !
Airwave has not *just* been commissioned, it's been in existance since 2000 (http://www.fife.police.uk/default.aspx?page=1790), it's just that the Underground has been one of the few places where it didn't work, until recently.
But I do have to question NY state's decision to pull out, NYC is suffering similar problems of money being heavily squeezed because of Cap'n Crunch, so NY state surely is feeling it too.
Now here's a thought ...
Call in EDS!
They might cock it up more cheaply!
- NASA boffin: RIDDLE of odd BULGE FOUND on MOON is SOLVED
- Pic Mars rover 2020: Oxygen generation and 6 more amazing experiments
- Microsoft's Euro cloud darkens: US FEDS can dig into foreign servers
- Boffins spot weirder quantum capers as neutrons take the high road, spin takes the low
- Plug and PREY: Hackers reprogram USB drives to silently infect PCs