Feeds

back to article Cows can't detect earthquakes: Official

Swedish scientists have disappointingly discovered that cows do not have "an innate ability to detect natural disasters", thereby thwarting any possibility of deploying bovine imminent earthquake detectors in seismic hotspots. According to The Local, researchers from the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU) fitted " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Coat

I hope

..They didnt Steak any money on it....

mines the one being pelted with eggs

fitted "advanced GPS sensors and animal monitoring devices"

Er, why?

Had someone predicted the earthquake?

Dead Vulture

Maybe...

If two of them were lying down before, during and after the event, has anyone checked that they are still alive?

sitting down

wouldn't you be better off sitting (or lying) down during an earthquake anyway ?

Coat

Title

Can someone check if they were testing the Milton Keynes cows, or the slightly more natural variety?

OMG

where can I get a job like that?

Hell, I'd love to get paid for sit around putting equipment on cows and waiting for an earthquake. I bet the buggers dont really sit down when its about to rain either!

I wonder if the same thing can be done with chavs in Birmingham, oh wait, its called electronic tagging

Happy

Full story

Cow #8 actually broke it's monitoring device from rolling on the ground and laughing after it heard about the research it was a part of.

Thumb Up

Have the scientists considered

That the cows knew there was an earthquake coming but could tell it was a weak one so didn't bother reacting.

Cows are that cool.

Anonymous Coward

Clearly...

..the cows knew perfectly well that that particular quake was no threat to them so they ignored it.

Coat

Surely by now

someone must have used the obligatory 'Did the earth mooooove?'

Silver badge
Coat

But what is the speed ....

of a cow in vacuum?

Ig-Nobel award awaits these intrepid scientists

Coat

Next up...

...can geese predict stock market crashes?

Mines the one with the research grant in the pocket.

Silver badge

You're all wrong!

The cows got together and decided, "Hey, why should we let THEM know we can tell when these disasters are comming. Let them all die, and we will rule the world! MOOOOAHAHAHA!!"

Alien

The cows just...

... want us to think they know nothing, they can't give away their real mission...

Can Mike Richards

Please tell me about grep and white dog poo?

Thanks!

Alert

Dunno about cows, but ...

... it sounds like a load of old bull.

Unhappy

"has anyone checked that they are still alive?"

They probably fell down a crack in the research.

Coat

@ OMG

"I bet the buggers dont really sit down when its about to rain either!"

Old wives' tale. <Waits for Sarah's comment that this phrase is feminazi>

Mine's the suede one lying on the floor.

Speed of a cow

An African or European cow?

Meanwhile....

In the UK, scientists are trying to figure out how a flying cow could have destroyed a windturbine.

Happy

Reminds me of a Far Side cartoon...

The one called "checking whether animals 'kiss'". There's a blackboard showing various results including 'octopus - couldn't find lips', and in the foreground a there's a cow on hind legs slapping a pouting scientist.

Why

Quantum Effect

clearly they know we are watching.

Coat

What a load of bull

The researchers milked this for all it was worth, then hoofed it home when the good burg(h)ers of Skåne found the whole thing udderly ridiculous.

Mine's the black and white cowhide.

Coat

hmmm

This sort of research is just udderly ridiculous. I certainly hope the scientists involved have moooved onto greener pastures for research, as opposed to milking government money for this endeavor...

Happy

Pathetic attempt at humour alert

"and the eighth cow’s equipment malfunctioned, leaving researchers in the dark about its reaction to the quake" - that was the one running around going "OMG OMG we're all gonna die!"

Happy

The cows all selected safe locations to be in during the quake

The cows all lived through the earth quake, proving they selected safe places to be during the event.

Re: what is the speed

First assume a spherical cow ...

Stop

the passion of the christ

I have a friend who runs a dairy farm and I myself do numerous tests on his livestock.

Usually I run at them with some sort of weapon, but I think they just run away because I am running at them in a threating manner

Silver badge

What would they do?

If they're in the middle of a field with nothing harmful around them, why would they do anything? I could understand a cow in a barn wanting to get out in case the structure collapsed, but unless a cow was standing with two feet either side of the fault when it ruptured, I don't see how there would be anything they could do. No way could they outrun a mudslide or other side-effect capable of travelling that far..

Anonymous Coward

Can these guys get me some funding

for my ground-breaking Ursine Defecatory Behavioural Analysis Programme?

Bronze badge

earthquakes are manifestations of illusion

The illusion of reality, you know. Cows are on a higher transcendental plain. Or meadow.

Sad case

So while other researchers get grants to investigate the effect of alcohol on women, or cocaine on bees, these poor souls want to see what happens when you shake a cow. I can tell them that, from a safe distance.

Linux

I feel...................

a Gary Larson cartoon coming..........

Penguin, 'cause there's no cow..........

Flame

maybe..

the cows were too distracted to notice the earthquakes, because they were busily pondering the ramifications of their global warming flatulence... or lack thereof... as it's fricken COOLER on earth than it was last year! Gotta love scientists.

That Mike Richards fella

He's a wise old bugger y'know.

Anonymous Coward

grep white dog poo

grep: no such file or directory

hmm...

Jos
Happy

@I feel.....

Dang it, you made me google for it

http://www.tachyon-city.com/wp-content/farsidecowncar.gif

And it's not Friday yet.

Silver badge
Coat

@steve: you get milkshake

(nuf said)

If cows were smart...

"OK everyone - ready? On my mark - 3, 2, 1 EVERYBODY DOWN! HAHAHAHAH! Look at them! Running like buggery for the door! That one's pissed himself! OK, back up - and look innocent..."

Joke

simple...

They were Schrodinger's Cows

Gold badge
Boffin

Heisenberg says.

Do cows festooned with monitoring kit behave differently in earthquakes to cows not so encumbered?

Joke

@But what is the speed ....

...of a cow in a vaccuum.

Don't be silly, everyone knows Cows can't drive vacuums, otherwise Dyson or one of the others would have 'em in an advertising campaign.

Re earthquakes as illusion

``The illusion of reality, you know. Cows are on a higher transcendental plain. Or meadow``

That's because they're all on grass.

Sinister...

"One cow actually sat down at the exact second that the earth began shaking"

Has anyone considered this: that the cat sitting down, actually CAUSED the earthquake?

I for one welcome our new bovine earthquake-causing overlords...

Cows have it easy

They just stand in a field all day and get milked.

If I stood in a field waiting to get milked I'd get arrested.

yes they can

I am sure they would detect an earthquake if a cowshed fell on them.

They stand in a field where nothing can fall on them. What do you expect them to do? Phone their friends on their moobile phones.(Sorry)

Coat

oh, goodie

this means the cows won't detect me, either...

This topic is closed for new posts.