Feeds

back to article Virus writer signs off in cordial Trojan message to MS

An unidentified Russian virus writer has reached out to Microsoft with a message buried within a recent variant of the Zlob Trojan. The greeting in the malicious code was friendly and cordial, in sharp contrast to messages posted on compromised websites by defacement crews, which frequently deride the security of Microsoft's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Ed
Unhappy

Bugger

From your title El Reg i though the offender had actually said "So long, and thanks for all the phish"....

That would have been so much cooler than the crap he wrote....

<shrug>

Coat

Leo de Cappy / Thomas the Hanks

Anyone else spot a "Catch me if you can" related link?

Just me then

Silver badge

Re Bugger

FFS, Ed, if our Russian was as good as his English [and I only presume a male because women have much better things to do to please themselves] you'd probably be a Person of Interest to the FSB.

And a cordial Trojan is as nothing compared to what can be done in "exploits/shellcodes and rootkit"....... for they are Stealthy and Embed Sleepers which you have no Knowledge of, until you Realise too Late that the Cookie Jar is Empty and the Usual Supply of Dodgy Credit has been diverted/subverted to Power A.N.Other Source of Better Beta Controls.

Happy

Job offer

If the Lads from Redmond have any kind of brains, right now they're going through the HR files of all the people who might fit his profile to find his True Name.

Black Helicopters

Microsoft is starting to get it

I think it's great that Microsoft are being a little more open with how they disclose stuff from the MMPC. This isnt the first time that I felt like they're starting to get 'open disclosure' a little better.

Dead Vulture

Aww

Aww, bless 'im and his little cotton socks.

Tosser.

Anonymous Coward

blaster

Virus writers have been doing this for a long time, in fact most viruses have some kind of message in them.. Seems they only hit the headlines when they are directed at Microsoft though.

Remember blaster? Two messages there.

1. "I love you San" A message to his girlfriend.

2. " billy gates why do you make this possible ? Stop making money and fix your software!!"

-----------

The author of blaster was a good (online) friend of mine who I have not seen since Msoft offered up a gargantuan reward for him, maybe he defected to Russia? :-)

J
Black Helicopters

Er...

"Microsoft researcher Tareq Saade welcomed the possible retirement of the Zlob gang."

OK, that could be considered as good... If the VXer wasn't saying he's going to go on to even worse things -- I'd suppose he's not going alone.

Boffin

Jan 13, Old World Order's New Year Date At .RU Space

FSB will hardly pursue VXer because, correct me, the case is a matter of MVD [DomAff]. But they also hardly will. Hunting people who work 9-18 an engineer with a hell of a low salary to buy the legal stuff [2-3 monthly wages as usual] is a job for private agencies. People who work for them are usually likely not to be hired anywhere else but to another such agency in case if one is to be fired.

Private agencies generally are at the beginning of hunting the users of the so-called "Illegal" Windows and other progams. Not because government had issued any act, but followed by the MS' initiative and an army of lawyers. It's known that Adobe, Corel and Microsoft are the most popular freeware now in Russia. Kinda "Good People Company Unlimited", nationwide, at homes and corporations. Just a year ago stands with a load full of disks labelled "The freshest Microsoft cracks", "Adobe Premiere, Photoshop and InDesign in one pack for $5!" were a legal, wide-spread and respectable business owned by "intellectuals". Thus, a path for greatest shadow data-mining ever taken in history is on a solid ground.

It also strucks if you see a Win-equipped PC used for a strategic performance. Making all these freewarez fail-safe needs superknowledge of how system wrx. But it's not the military who own the knowledge. In Russia, those ones are students (-:

This topic is closed for new posts.