back to article pureSilicon unveils 1TB solid state drive

pureSilicon took the "world’s highest-density" solid-state drive, the 1TB Nitro, for a spin at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. There is nothing particularly "consumer" about this, as the SSD is aimed at applications where "data throughput and power consumption are paramount: server, networking, datacenter, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Another Anonymous Coward

Wasn't expecting that to appear so soon.

And in a 2.5" form factor too? Impressive.

The rate of capacity increase on SSDs is crazy, only seems like a few years ago that a 1 gb usb drive was considered really impressive, never mind 1 tb.

There is the crippling expense to consider, but I remember looking up the price of a 4 gig drive about 5-6 years ago, and it was in the 4-figure range in dollars, so fingers crossed for a similar price adjustment on the new high-end of SSD tech.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Whoa...

1TB 2.5 SSD?

Whoa...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Question

Will it fit in my Eee PC901??

4. Chris
    Happy

You know that it

will cost it's own weight in gold-plated uranium encrusted diamonds however

5. raving angry loony

hmm

JBOD of 1024 of these suckers wouldn't take up that much room either...

We're almost to the single-rack petabyte.

Crap I'm old. I still remember the first single-rack gigabyte JBOD we put together.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's the cost of the electricity you save?

And how much money would you have to borrow a year such that this is interest at 5%?

My suspicion is that they don't cost much more in the long run.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Take for a spin?

Bit hard to take it for a spin, what with it not having platters n all.

Mines the one playing "you spin me round round baby right round like a record baby round round round round"

8. Haku

Flash RAID please

I want someone to come up with a way to RAID USB flash drives through hardware or software for Windows machines, with reasonably fast (12MB/s write, 30MB/s read) 16GB sticks available at £16 delivered from play.com, you could potentially create a reasonably high capacity very fast & silent 'drive' for £1 per GB + needed hardware.

I know you can software RAID USB flash drives on linux but that's not so useful to all the Windows users out there.

9. Treg

BitMicro

I thought BitMicro had 1.6Tb out last year

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/05/bitmicro-keeps-it-real-unveils-1-6tb-ultra320-scsi-ssd/

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like