Feeds

back to article US forces order fuel-cell units for medevac stretchers

The US military will use fuel-cell power units attached to stretchers to power critical medical machinery used in casualty evacuation, according to reports. Fuel Cell Today reports that Jadoo Power has received a new Defense Department contract to produce its Portable Electric Power Supply for Aeromedical Evacuation (PEPSAE) 100 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Thumb Down

Is it just me....

Or is 1080 watt-hours rather underwhelming for a fuel cell system that weighs 18 Kg? That's only 60 watt-hours per kilo, which is within the reach of standard nickle-metal-hydride batteries, never mind lithium-ion. And that's just rechargeable batteries. There are a range of lithium chemistry primary batteries already used by the military that can achieve energy densities four or five times higher than this.

Bronze badge

re: Simon Ball

I'm not sure, but I think the article states that that's the weight of 3 cartridges, each of which holds 1080 watt-hours.

@simon

i think the idea is to eliminate recharging time, rather than energy density, you could essentially completely refill the fuel cells in minutes without interrupting the power flow, although chemical batteries may allow for this too, but offend the greenies.

how heavy are individual cartridges?

a couple cartridges might be enough to drive a fuel cell motorcycle reasonably well

This topic is closed for new posts.