Feeds

back to article Microsoft trumpets Xbox 360 sales growth

Microsoft’s Xbox 360 promotional department has kicked off 2009 with a bang, by claiming that over 28m units have now been sold worldwide since the console's 2005 launch. The console's sales figure puts it ahead of Sony’s PlayStation 3, which has sold roughly 20m units since 2006, according to a report by the LA Times. Aaron …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Coat

Widening lead?

I don't see how.

2005: PS3 0, 360 8m

2006: PS3 5m, 360 14m

2007: PS3 14m, 360 20m

2008: PS3 20m, 360 28m (claimed)

That to me looks like a shrinking 360 lead. And it consistent with sales data, where PS3 has matched the 360 in Europe, outsold it by 2m in Japan, and matched it in US.

It's also worth noting the tricks that Microsoft uses in it's sales sale. over 1m of those consoles are store demo units (which they count), and many of them are likely to be replaceements for RROD.

We wil never know how many ACTIVE 360's there are, but I would suggest 23m is a more realistic non-MS viral marketing number.

Gates Horns

28m??

Yeah and about 6m of those were probably replacements for broken consoles!!!

Anonymous Coward

Sigh

Are you fanboys so insecure that this actually matters to you?

Paris Hilton

Mindy Mount?

Paris because this is just a childish "Hehe, what a slightly innuendoey name" thing.

Re: Mark

Own a PS3 do we?

PS I don't own a console (haven't had one since the Sega Master System) but do enjoy watching Microsoft get up Sony's nose!

@mark

Er......I think you should re-read the figures that you have quoted.

The gap narrowed from 9 million to 6 million in the years '06 and '07 respectively, but then for '07 and '08 the gap grew back from 6 million to 8 million.

So, over the last year the gap increased as 8 > 6.

(or to look at it another way, over the span of the 4 years that the figures are quoted for, 360 sales have maintained a consistent lead)

This topic is closed for new posts.