Feeds

back to article Beeb names new Doctor Who

The BBC has announced that 26-year-old Matt Smith will be the 11th Doctor Who, hitting screens in the fifth series in 2010 as the youngest actor* to tackle the role. Matt Smith. Pic: BBC According to Piers Wenger, head of drama at BBC Wales, Smith's audition immediately marked him as the next Time Lord. He said: "It was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Thumb Up

Hmmm

If they cast Kelly Brook, I may be inclined to watch it. Not a great fan of the new stuff, more of a trad Who fan myself.

jon

emo igor

I really can't see a young actor like that bringing any character or presence to the show, but then I also think the quality of Dr. Who is completely lost in the current iteration. There's only been a handful of shows worth watching.

Bronze badge
Go

Terminology for Dr Who fans?

Is the correct modern term for a Doctor Who fan now an is-Tard?

IT Angle

Assistant...

I felt I had to share this related quote, from today's Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/4108697/Search-for-new-Doctor-Whos-partner-begins.html)

<quote>

There had been much talk of a black Doctor Who, with actor Paterson Joseph among the favourites. Wenger disclosed: "We saw a dozen or so people, some of them black. There was never any resistance to the idea of a black Doctor and it would have got us all sorts of headlines and brownie points...

<end quote>

Wonderful!!

Thumb Down

Kelly Brook!!!

They can't be serious surely? She's pleasing to the eye but she is about a wooden as a rocking horse when it comes to acting and presenting.

As for this new guy, no idea who he is so can't really comment. Does look rather emo though. If that's a bad thing or not we shall see in 2010.

IT Angle

Eh?

Can someone explain how this is IT news?

Has the TARDIS suddenly appeared on the HP server catalogue?

It's bad enough the Beeb promoting this tripe as news without El Reg doing it for them.

You'll be running items on simply come twadle or whatever it is next ;-)

Bronze badge

Watch the Hartnell DVDs and weep

BBC did a great job restoring several of original series (I expect there's more tape in some technician's loft, yet), darker, more edgy, than anything produced since, even if the set did make the original Star Trek look high budget

M
Joke

Fun Fact of the Day

Matt Smith is 76% face.

Unhappy

Lily Allen?

FFS, NO!

Every time that gobby pisshead screeches her way through another agonising performance, I want to shoot my TV...

Alien

He does look "otherworldly" - in fact, he's scarily ugly. Having heard him speak, I hope he isn't given too many lines.

Gold badge
Thumb Down

Typo?

"......the BBC is eyeing singer Lily Allen...."

".....the BBC is eyeing turn-her-hand-to-anything-for-a-quick-publicity-fix, Z-list celebutard Lily Allen....."

There. That's a bit better. It hasn't removed the slight taste of sick in my throat that reading this particular bit of information induced though.

Thumb Down

ARRGH! SPOILERS!

I was trying to avoid hearing that news, so it would be, you know, a suprise. And so I have avoided clicking any headlines of this type. Cheers for putting the name in the link, then. That helped. Really.

Joke

The new Doctor...

Who?

I can't believe I was the first to post that, you're all slipping.

I'll just get the reTARDIS keys out of my pocket.

Doctor...Who?

My mum was right. You know you're getting old when police men (or in this case Time Lords) are getting younger....

Unhappy

This is why people stop watching when things go "mainstream"

Doctor Who used to be a cult show, with wonderful "mad professor" types playing the Doctor. Now we've got some trumped up emo-kid with the stupid hair-do to match being companioned to a trashy celebrity for nothing more than ratings.

Why can't people just leave things alone?

Thumb Up

opinion

He's a bit creepy looking, isn't he? Has a bit of Christopher Morris about him. I hope they get an unknown actor for the companion, a fresh start could be most interesting.

Thumb Up

Is it just me

or does he look like the bastard child of Noel Fielding and Alexander Armstrong? Anyways, I have faith in the Moff and have great hopes for the young fella.

Stop

I think someone has overfond memories of Peri

There are only two reasons to put Kelly Brook in Doctor Who, and that's already been done with Peri (Nicola Bryant). Caves of Androzani was a great episode but we don't need a remake.

Lily Allen? We've had a mockney ex-singer already, try something different.

Rachel Stevens was in S Club; while the TV and film didn't demand much acting talent, they did demand enough to demonstrate that she didn't have that much.

Coat

Incomplete!

The link is to a complete list of TV Doctors. As always Auntie misses Peter Cushing, who played the Doctor in two films. (Yes, I know I'm sad)

g e
Silver badge

Dark & Fey?

He reminds me of the Goth from IT Crowd... anyone else?

Well thats the end of that then

Young, and "edgy", always a winner.

I give it 5 episodes before the Beeb "retires" the Doc for another decade or two.

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: Eh?

It's entertainment news which is why it's in the entertainment section which is why you ought to shut your virtual cakehole and go and think about what you have done.

It's bad enough I have to moderate all these comments without having to explain this again I mean well honestly.

Anonymous Coward

Purleassse

Yep he's but a wee nipper! Ok, not keen but we'll give the benefit of the doubt and wait and see how that pans out.

But what's with the casting of dolly birds?? I may be the only one here, but I love Catherine Tate in the last series primarily BECAUSE there was a marked (upon in every episode) absence of legover flirting shennigans!

The post RTD period has so much potential - please don't squander it?!

Who?!

I always thought Matt Smith was responsible for unleashing Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy on the world. But then again, I'm old enough to remember Tom Baker and I think David Tennant runs him a very close second.

I still maintain that Eddie Izzard would have made a bloody fantastic Doctor, though

@ Sarah Bee

So come clean then... how much of the hard earned Licence Fee does El Reg get to promote Beeb twadle as news!

Also since when did IT become "Entertaining"!

Sci-Fi

Yes but when am I going to see some Sci-Fi on the BBC? I know ones broadcaster likes to pretend the good Doctor is sci-fi, but melodrama in space does not sci-fi make. I've been looking forward to Mofatt for some time, perhaps he can get at least some good scripting in (if not some actual science fiction).

But to hear of this new actor and proposed companions really does speak volumes about the direction. "The BBC is in a constant flight away from science fiction"

He has a face like a squashed brick

but seems like a likeable chap, if a bit insane.

Silver badge
Stop

Its all 'Yoof Yoof Yoof'!!!

I can see it going even further down the mainstream yoof market. Anyone silly enough to suffer 'Demons' on ITV Saturday night? I havent seen such a turd of a show since Bonekickers.

Forget plots, acting skills, characters. As long as the main cast look good on a poster or on the front of a TV guide thats all that matters.

Matt Smith's been in Doctor Who before

He appeared in the Keeper of Traken story as the Melkur. If it's not him, it's an uncanny likeness.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/gallery/monsters2/images/340/traken1.jpg

Flame

Doctor Emo

Personally I thought Tennant was a bit young (looking - I knew he wasn't actually that young) to play the Doctor... this is just taking the piss.

By the looks of things they intend to fill the new series with episodes in which the Doctor spends all his time locked in the Tardis gazing wistfully at photo's of Billy Piper whist writing poetry on the futility of existense and listening to My Chemical Romance.

New doctor?

I have a horrible feeling that the new doctor is going to be a kiss of death to this series. The leading characters in other BBC Saturday evening progs like Robin Hood and Merlin have been poor, and I reckon the same thing will happen to Who too.

Paris Hilton

@ The Lovely Sarah Bee

Is this the first can of new year Whoop-ass I see before me? Yah!

Paris since even she knows she isn't news but entertainment....

Heart

Re: eh?

It's IT news because a fair portion of Dr Who's audience are IT people, who have a tendency to science fiction.

Whether or not it qualifies as "Entertainment" depends upon someone writing scripts with proper stories, perhaps going three episodes without a Dalek or Cyberperson attempt to invade Earth. The stories must be poor, cause I don't watch much of it any more. And they try to tempt me back with someone who is even younger than my local policeman.

Oh, and I think I'm in love with Sara Bee. If she can act as well as as she moderates...give Sarah the part! Or just email me a signed photo...

Coat

Scripts

A lot of the new Dr Who episodes have been pretty bad but that is down to the writers. Moffat has written some really good ones like Blink.

Hopefully with his darker, less slapstick, plot lines we might see something interesting from the new Doctor.

Who knows maybe we can get away from the whole thing all wrapped up in one / two episodes and back to longer story lines.

Coat

Dream Combination

This could be almost as good as teaming Peter Devidson with Bonnie Langford.

Bronze badge

In all fairness

He does look like something from another planet.

Well at least.......

.......He seems a bit mental, always a good start.

I had my heart set on a thoroughly miserable old git this time round :(

There's also the chance he will suffer Peter Davidson Syndrome. Look back at PD's term and he was actually quite good, but at the time, I and every other rational (ahem) human being hated his guts, basically because he wasn't Tom Baker. DT's been rather excellent at times (not least beacuse he's actually a bit of a whovian), so this guy may just be hated for not being DT.

The hair HAS to go though.

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: @ Sarah Bee

You're an idiot. Most of our readers seem to enjoy a bit of non-IT news with their IT news. If you don't, well, the front page is full of IT news. Do you feel cheated that you clicked on a Doctor Who headline and found a story about Doctor Who?

Meanwhile, 'twaddle' has two Ds. Count 'em. Also, questions take question marks. You're welcome.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Re:emo igor

***"I also think the quality of Dr. Who is completely lost in the current iteration. There's only been a handful of shows worth watching."***

If you are referring to the 'handful' that most people take to be the best episodes, then they were all written by Steven Moffat. Moffat is taking over from Russell T Davies as the executive producer and had the final say on who would play the new Dr.

Given Moffat's obvious talent, as witnesses by the praise heaped upon him for his Dr Who episodes, as well as for Coupling and Joking Apart, I assume he knows what he is doing.

I, for one, am looking forward to a new series featuring more of Moffat's absorbing scripts and less of Davies formulaic dribbling and, hopefully, none of Chris Chibnall's pointless monster chases.

Bronze badge

@He looks so young

I count five lines on his forehead in that photo. Young?

Sim
Alert

eyebrows

could they not find an actor with his own eyebrows?

Bronze badge
Stop

Cancel Dr Who. Cancel Merlin. Cancel Robin Hood.

I liked David Tennant as the Dr but never felt that there was any real sense of peril to any of the episodes and have become bored with the whole same old - same old.

Have no idea about this new guy but presume that the Dr to come after him will be a foetus (so the yoof can relate to it). And I have no idea who the next assistant should be, but I'm guessing it should be an unknown; although I'd be quite happy with Carey Mulligan (Sally Sparrow) preferably naked in every episode - as she is very easy on the eye.

As for Lily Allen - am I the only one who thinks she is quite sexy? Albeit until she opens her mouth and lets words come out.

PS - re Merlin... I am aware that the BBC has some politically correct ideal to shoehorn an ethnic minority, a spaz, or some other demographical minority into every possible show... but what historical basis is there for assuming that Guinevere was a coloured lass?

IT Angle

re: Avian

What do you mean nothing to do with IT? This new Doctor wrote Jet Set Willy!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Smith_(games_programmer)

Coat

Paterson Joseph

I thought Paterson Joseph would have been a good choice. I thought he played a good role in Peep Show, I could just imagine Dr Who being like Alan Jonson.

This new guy they've picked looks about the age of a teenager. Meh, I guess time will tell if he's any good.

Mine is the one with a box set of the old Dr Who from the 80's in the pocket.

Rob

Flame

I wish...

I wish you saddos would stop bastard complaining. Wait until he takes the role, and if it's a poor effort, don't whine about it, just STOP WATCHING!

Christ, you'd think it was rocket science.

I for one congratulate Mr Smith on getting the role, and hope he does it justice. If not, I'll probably go and do some programming, or go for a run or something instead of watching the show.

Law
IT Angle

RE: Re: @ Sarah Bee

Is it me or does Sarah Bee appear angrier and less likely to take sh*t from "IT-angle-tards" this year??

I'm gonna wait until I see a few episodes first before saying this lad (oh god... I'm older than a time-lord... this sucks) can't pull it off.... I thought tennant was going to be a majorly stupid choice, and vowed to stop watching it... but he turned out to be one of the best doctors in my eyes... just a shame he got some of the lamest storylines ever... but he at least played them well... and lasted more than a season.

Maybe this is going to be a slightly darker Doctor.... I doubt he will be beheading puppies and blowing up infant schools any time soon though... after all, it is just a kids show still.

Silver badge

@steve-C

By any chance, was it shortly into the guy that came after him that you realised just how good Peter Davison had been?

The new kid looks like a perfectly fine choice to me. What proportion of the core target audience (ie, children) really distinguish between a 26 year old and a 40 year old anyway?

Rob
Bronze badge
Heart

@Sarah

Your great :)

We love you (from the Reg Readers who have a brain)

Happy

RE: Sci-Fi

Martin

The real definition of Science Fiction is: Throw some funky tech at a setting, then stand back and see what stories flow from that.

I think the TARDIS fits the bill quite nicely. It might be melodramatic, but it /is/ Science Fiction.

If you can remove the Science bit and the story can still be told without much tweaking and changing then its either space opera or effects driven drivel (i.e. Battlestar Galactica, well you have to replace the cylons with double agent spy types or something I guess, but you get the point).

Gold badge
Happy

Re: Two reasons.

"Planet of Fire".

Anyone else here seen a certain "Luck and Flaw"-alike take on "behind the scenes at Dr Who" from the CB days?

"Peri's boobs by Industrial Light and Magic" has to be the greatest credit gag of all time.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.