Feeds

back to article Glastonbury new-agers protest WiFi

The new-age residents of Glastonbury are up in arms about the council's deployment of WiFi, claiming the wireless networks are interfering with their chakras and generally getting them down. The news comes courtesy of The Telegraph, which reports local hippies are up in arms (well, placidly protesting) about the already-deployed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

I don't know what's worse.

Pot-heads or marketing departments.

Wait ... one's a sub-set of the other, right?

Black Helicopters

I get those symptoms too

"local new-agers are complaining of the usual headaches and hard-to-pin-down symptoms that are endemic where wireless technologies have received sufficient publicity..."

Funny, I get the same symptoms whenever I read about ignorant, luddite asshats like this too. Sometimes I get feelings of intense nausea too, akin to the well-recorded variety when exposed to radiations from terrestrial ITV1.

Does this entitle me to start a protest movement based on pseudo-science and unfounded, deep feelings of paranoia as well?

Flame

Bummer man....

We won't be able to get laid along the ley lines anymore.

Alien

What about private WiFi ?

Funny how when I stood outside a trinket shop opposite the church on Christmas eve, proudly brandishing the "No Wi-Fry" sticker, that I detected with my N95 at least 5 secured WiFis in addition to the Glasto mesh. Will they be campaigning to shut these down too?

Silver badge
Coat

Ley line interference

So it's their ley lines that have been giving me headaches and a slipped karma.

I demand that they are turned off until they have received proper testing.

Stop

New Age

I feel the urge to rant at length and in unstructured, run-on sentences. Fortunately I'm too well brought up. People like this go around almost wilfully misinterpreting the universe around them. Ley lines? Orgone energy? Peer reviewed science? One of these is worth a belief in.

Strange how the "radiation expert" who allegedly scanned the near-hysterical yogic's house found the highest levels in - shock! horror! - her young son's bedroom. Just where she can be depended upon for the maximal creation of outrage! How unexpected! Or possibly cynical?

(Also, why doesn't she just put her son in a different bedroom if she's that worried?)

The Torygraph used to be a quite good newspaper, but it's slipping further and further nowadays. One recent "health" story is about the so-called "genotype diet". It defies belief.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/3917177/Revealed-the-diet-secrets-to-help-you-fit-into-your-genes.html

(Thanks to Dr Ben Goldacre for sticking both these stories onto his bad science miniblog.)

orgone generators...no accumulators

bring on hawkwind

http://www.last.fm/music/Hawkwind/_/Orgone+Accumulator

omg ... is that 30 yr old tab still good?

yours, wow the colours,...

me

Anonymous Coward

They're killing them

The blockade didn't get reported, the 400+ killings this year didn't get reported and now the massacre isn't getting reported, instead you're protesting Wifi signals..

Why?

Silver badge
Alert

Tin foil hats for all?

<hippy>

Oh wow man, like that's so heavy man!

These fascist radio beams are doing me in, ok?

It's getting me down, yeah?

I'm on a bummer of a trip man.

</hippy>

Maybe they just need to save up all their old tin foil and make chakra-saving head gear!

Boffin

Glastonbury Council...

...Negative Vibe Merchants.

Silver badge
Flame

Oh Noes!!*

Teh real life laws of physics is trampling our imaginary powerz and makes us looks foolish! Make it stops pleez, We feels ill!!

Bunch of midget-minded mental masturbators, pick up a first grade science book and get a clue about how Life, the Universe, and Everything really works instead of wanking off to an antique version of "The Force".

Flames because these people think that dancing around them chanting does something besides making them hot and tired.

*Stupidity of this magnitude can best be expressed in LoL Speak, sorry about that.

Black Helicopters

What they don't know

I have a couple of clients who insist on not having wireless networks anywhere near them, trouble is they haven't noticed that Airport is on all the time on their laptops and I haven't bothered to alert them - they haven't grown extra heads yet.

One of them has a scientific background too, except he seems unaware of the inverse square law, when discussing emissions from transmitters and their relative strengths.

Bronze badge
Black Helicopters

Simple solution

Why not provide the hippies with complimentary tinfoil-lined Guatemalan knit hats? They should keep the radiation out and, hopefully, the stupid in.

Anonymous Coward

bad karma

I mean this is like a bad trip man. Being ripped off by plastic people is so uncool.

Coat

I hate hippies.

Clearly the one thing Glastonbury does need is a public broadcast system in the streets pumping out Slayer round the clock.

Black Helicopters

Millom?

That would be Millom as in just 6 miles north across the bay from the BAE/ex-VSEL nuclear submarine yard then?

Kerist

Hippys are disgusting.

Boffin

Almost a valid complaint

I can understand the possibility of human heads being affected: the brain and its electrochemical functions are inherently delicate.

But I can't help feeling that most, if not all, of these complainers are jumping on the bandwagon, while convincing themselves that they are "intelligent" cos they have worked out the secrets of life, the universe, and everything. And therefore are right about life, the universe, and everything.

Most people are unaffected. For the rest, there's tin foil.

Thumb Up

New age?

The new-age travelling bods who go for the music always have the option to stay away.

The new-age residents have a better chance for some 'compy' by complaining about the noise from 'the farm'.

Best to get in quick though, the 'compy' fund is dwindling away, fast.

Icon : Good luck to the 'compy culture', you are surely bugg**ed.

Just as i expected

I knew you lot would immediately pan this and so too, I suspect, did the author (maybe they've got a 'Most commented' commission structure?).....

however I do have to throw my 5 cents into the ring. When i first started using bluetooth many years ago I always knew when a call was coming in because I did get a curious headachey feeling just as it sucked the radiation down from the sky or whatever. It was such that i actually stopped using bluetooth for some time and only use bluetooth headphones now, never for calls.....so in my opinion hippy imagination only it is not. We're quite happy to have radio signals in the magnitude of zag (I copyright the word now) whizzing around our heads 24/7, how can that not be having some effect?

Paris Hilton

Reminds me of my old physics tutor...

"New Age? Rhymes with sewage."

Paris, 'cos she knows all about "lay" lines.

Heart

@Tom Maddox

An excellent solution indeed since a (not earthed) tinfoil hat would really focus RF energy (Think of a satellite dish) right about where the hypothalamus is, but we don't need to tell them that. Instant hippy brain melting barbeque!

JBR
Thumb Up

LMAO

Brilliant! The comments on this sort of story always give me a warm fuzzy glow with my coffee (although that may be from the access point on the floor next to me...)

Thank god the world has got el reg readers

Reminds me

Reminds me of a routine Dara O'Brien did in this years tour concerning Alternative Medicine. "People say to me 'But some of these things have been around for thousands of years so there must be something in it' and that's true. We tested them. The ones that worked became "Science" and the rest are called 'soup'".

Flame

The worst sort of hippie

is the sort who never takes any drugs - they just bullshit a lot about chakras, crystals etc., while complaining about the many mild illnesses they seem to suffer from....

Oh I know, they're called 'neurotics'

Flame

@Alan Fisher

So...

When you first started using Bluetooth (short range radio) on your mobile phone, you could tell when a call (long range radio, different frequency) was coming in because you got a headache...

Now that you only use bluetooth for things other than calls you don't get the problem? The reason this makes no sense at all is that the bluetooth isn't doing anything with radiation "from the sky" (let's not even go anywhere near the "sucking it down from the sky" bit)... The bluetooth radiation goes from your phone to whatever other bluetooth devices (headset, laptop, whatever) you have nearby and back again. The signals between your phone and the nearest base station are, as you put it, transmitted through the sky. But they were there before you started using bluetooth...

There have been radio signals of all sorts of magnitudes and frequencies flying through you since the day you were born (unless you're quite old), and yet only now are you somehow bothered by it?

I am willing to venture that you know approximately sod-all about science and are in fact talking out of your arse. The word we are looking for is "psychosomatic".

Or "arsehole". Your call.

Stop

@ Alan Fisher

"I did get a curious headachey feeling just as it sucked the radiation down from the sky or whatever. "

You fail at Bluetooth, there is no difference between the Bluetooth connection between your headset, and your headphones. In fact, if anything I'd expect there to be more activity with the headphones as they're stereo, and there is sound being recieved the whole time.

Coupled with the fact your Bluetooth transmitter in your phone is probably only capable of poking a Bluetooth signal 10m at best, rather than "the radiation down from the sky or whatever" I'd suggest you are either a very good troll, or the sort of person who believes that Homeopathy works and Gillian McKeith has a Phd.

Bronze badge

@ Alan Fisher

You, sir, are a troll and I claim my 5 quid. BTW it was the second half that let you down, a true Muesli-muncher woul'd be so crass as to want to copyright something.

Paris Hilton

Fishing in the dark Alan ...

@ Alan fisher - The trouble with people drawing scientific conclusions on their own is that they start to use words like 'always' which you just did, when inevitably what they mean is twice in a row in a year they received over 4000 phone calls. If you'd said that you stopped using cell phones and you felt better I might have forced myself to pay some attention to your hypothesis, but you say that you still use cellphones but not bluetooth. Your bluetooth headset was probably outputting around 1mW, while your phone churns out on average 100 times that at pretty much similar frequencies, but your body reacted just to the bluetooth?

And as to your question concerning how all this background radiation can not be having an effect, in all truth, it probably does, but at present there is any evidence to show the effect is anything considerable. If electromagnetic radiation bothers you that much, you're going to have to go and live in a dark cave deep underground wearing tin foil to keep away from it all, including light.

Paris, coz I don't think she lets such things bother her pretty little head.

Bronze badge

Bandwaggon

Andy Burnham appears to have triggered an outbreak of "they ought to ban it".

Boffin

@Alan Fisher

>We're quite happy to have radio signals in the magnitude of zag (I copyright the word now) whizzing around our heads 24/7, how can that not be having some effect?

We're also happy to have millions of nutrinos ripping through our bodies at the speed of light every second 24x7 and it makes me angry, perhaps we should stop it?

Although, treating your comment seriously, there have been over the years many, many EMR/EMF doubts (power lines, WiFi, mobile masts, power stations, x-rays, CT scanners etc.) any I completely accept that all of these things can have physical effects (being 60%+ water with impurities makes us a nice conductor) but the quesion has to be asked, why do you feel effects when somebody else doesn't? the answer is simple, you are not as geneticaly suited for the environment, as the environment changes so does physiology (survival of the fittest, "best fit" etc.), I personally can't wait for the day that our cockroach overloads are in charge (or those little water-bear things, ooooh... celebrity deathmatch).

The phenomenon you appear to suffer from is officially known as EMF sensitivity, by the sound of it you could have some typical c-fibre nerve sensitivity, although it would be wise to check for the repeatability of this, sometimes when people have symptoms they incorrectly attribute this to something external, for example one patient complained of headaches that he attributed to eye strain due to working long hours on a PC , so to counter this he took more regular breaks away fro his PC, and hey presto the headaches went away, as it turned out he was actually dehydrated and during his "eye strain" breaks he got a cup of water, we only got to the bottom of this after the urine tests came back (although you could visibly see the difference, no diabeties but high ketones), now he works normally (but has a bottle of water on his desk).

Anonymous Coward

@Jake

> Pot-heads or marketing departments.

> Wait ... one's a sub-set of the other, right?

MARKETING DEPARTMENTS?? Speaking as a lifelong pot-head, I've never been so insulted...

Stop

Mobile Masts & Wifi

The Scientific Evidence section of the Stewart Report contains results of tests done on rats, mice, monkeys, rabbits and even humans. These results detail numerous instances of reduced fertility, abnormal births altered brain waves, DNA breakdown and reduced concentration, to name but a few. Some of the results are horrific. Some of the tests were carried out using a microwave oven to simulate the effect of increased EMF!

The Stewart Report provides evidence that mobile phone transmitters DO CAUSE SERIOUS HARM to humans, small animals, birds and whatever else we are not being told about. The Stewart Report recommends further studies on the subject and also, that masts should NOT be installed near schools as it could adversely affect children!

Wifi / WiMax is worse.. I had a Wifi/Max Mast on my roof. As an internet connection between Bracknell and my ISP in Reading (TELE2).

After a few years I could not remember what I had typed on an A4 page. My Typing became erratic, my spelling was terrible.

My new born son son came up with spots under the skin on his face within 2 days of him arriving home... The spots dissapeared within days of switching the transmitter OFF.

Birds would not come into my garden oin front of the mast.... Even to eat bread or a Bird Feeder.. WHen the mast was off, they came and ate the food within an hour.

After switching the mast off, I had a massive build up of pressure in my head and collapsed in bed for the weekend. On Monday, I blew my nose and water (not mucus) poured out, enough to fill both hands and spill onto the floor.

In Bracknel, and around the UK, the incidence of Birth defects has sky-rocketed over the past 6 years.

When was the last time you seen a sparrow????

They put up 600 nest boxes in London.. Only 2% were used the following year.

It was found that the young Sparrows were starving to death. Why?

When did you ever see details of tests done on a Mobile Operators web site? There are None! Why?

Anonymous Coward

@mike

nutrinos - sound yummy, sure I saw an advert for them somewhere.

@robert

And here I was thinking that our lack of sparrows was because of the increased popularity of paved back gardens and the rapid encroachment of larger birds such as crows and magpies muscling them out of the food chain.

All this time it was due to the uptake of wifi, who'd have thunk it!

Strange that TV, broadcast at a far higher rate of energy, has never had an effect on this.

Paris Hilton

Mack my words Robert...

@ Robert Mack - I still can't figure out whether you're trying to be sarcastic or are for real, but in case you genuinely are worried about comms purpose radiowaves, I suggest you do some actual research into the field, you might win a Nobel prize if you discover some concrete links.

Could I suggest as possible reasons :

1. "After a few years I could not remember what I had typed on an A4 page. My Typing became erratic, my spelling was terrible." - Perhaps after a few years you experienced a thing called ageing with all its side effects such as memory and dexterity loss?

2. Birds would not come into my garden oin front of the mast.... Even to eat bread or a Bird Feeder.. WHen the mast was off, they came and ate the food within an hour." - Perhaps the mast emitted an ultrasonic hum that disconcerted the birds?

3."On Monday, I blew my nose and water (not mucus) poured out, enough to fill both hands and spill onto the floor." - That's just plain nasty, however if your stated quantities are genuine , you probably experienced plain old vomiting ?

4."They put up 600 nest boxes in London.. Only 2% were used the following year." - maybe sparrows don't like new builds ( I don't ), but anyway, that sparrow argument has already been copyrighted by the global warming crowd.

5. "In Bracknel, and around the UK, the incidence of Birth defects has sky-rocketed over the past 6 years." - Again, the global warming folks claimed that one first , but how about either a bug in microsoft excel, figures like 2 per thousand to 4 per thousand being quoted as a 200% rise, or another case of baldness in babies being called a birth defect?

6. "My new born son son came up with spots under the skin on his face within 2 days of him arriving home... The spots dissapeared within days of switching the transmitter OFF." - Have you discounted acrocyanosis, epstein's pearls, erythema toxicum,forceps marks,miliaria crystalline, milia, neonatal acne, sebaceous gland hyperplasia, seborrheic dermatitis and transient neonatal pustular melanosis?

In case its none of them , kindly share your nobel prize with me .

Yours truly,

Paris.

Boffin

They should protest the Sun

Which is still the largest generator of RF radiation.

Anonymous Coward

@Robert Mack

Boy, it sounds serious. You should see a doctor.

well we're all f***ed anyway

we're doing, eating, soaking up and osmocising so much stuff we never evolved to cope with over recent years that we're pretty much doomed anyway, deal with one and another will get us.

Switch off the RF and it'll be excessive hygiene that'll kill us off like the aliens in War of the Worlds!!

trust humans eh, we are determined to find an effective way to do ourselves damage and we won't stop until we crack it (note nuclear war is too quick and painless for the majority so we discarded that one)!!

@Wayne

>nutrinos - sound yummy, sure I saw an advert for them somewhere.

hehe.... OK neutrinos, nutrinos are yummy, full of energy but they never fill you up.

Happy

Hippies are immune

Yup, they're immune to all forms of nasty radiation.

It comes about due to them having their heads stuck up their arses.

All that extra flesh attenuates the signal and thus it cannot affect their tender synapses.

I have to admit that they might have a point though.

WiFi = 2.45Ghz

Microwave Ovens = 2.45Ghz

Hmmmmmmmmm,....

Paris Hilton

No great surprise !

Having spent 8 years selling client management systems to yoga studios and other alternative bods first as software and then as a SAAS product I have heard it all, from the "cant have wifi it will disturb the feng shui" through to "I have a spiritual business plan you wouldnt understand it" (yeah right, that will get you an e commerce merchant account every day!)

Quite possibly some people are affected by RF in ways others arent but what about the fields given off by wires and powerlines, or the RF from the alternator on there camper van?

And thats the fundamental problem with the new agers, if they did live there lives in caves wearing leaves they would have a point but its the selective nature of there angst that's laughable.

Paris, like the hippies she is into free love

Happy

I like hippies

...because when civilisation collapses they'll be an excellent source of uncontaminated meat.

Alert

Oh Wow man, pass the tin foil and the giggle twigs...

There's no *impartial* evidence that wifi has any ill effects at all.

These crazy hippies would have us all living back in the dark ages given half a chance.

Perhaps they should rather concentrate their efforts on more challenging issues, such as the destruction of natural habitats, fly tipping in the countryside, water and air pollution etc.

Hmm, then again, that would be far too much like hard work...

Paris Hilton

...Jim Henson is in the building...

*sigh*

And ye the science muppets walketh across the earth scratching their groins, and pronounced the antidepressants good..

Funny that they all cause MORE suicides than they stop and the only one that I know actually works is Hypericum - from a sodding herb.

Please dont rattle on about things you have no understanding of... I have done energy workings and other things that I dont want to talk about here ... and saved lives as a result of dreams I have had.

Not everything can be explained...

And before you all howl - If I can be allergic to a pill and broadcast level microwave transmissions can do the same cook out to your eyeballs as the 800W cooker in your kitchen... why can people not be allergic to radio?

Science is great... but please be aware - it can not explain everything.

/Paris ... cos shes one hella hot sister of the dark ones...

Silver badge

@Jemma & @AC

"Science is great... but please be aware - it can not explain everything."

No, science can't explain everything. But at least it makes a reasonable attempt.

You, and others like you, do not explain anything. You merely gripe about things that you don't understand, refuse to understand the concepts of causality and method, and wring your hands at the rest while steadfastly refusing to become educated. That's what we are giggling at. Cheap humor at the expense of the witless, to be sure, but somewhat humorous nonetheless.

No icon, because icons are for idiots and children.

To the AC who was offended: Sorry, I apologize. That was mean of me :-)

Go

Hey, Robert Mack ...

Sounds to me like you're unfitted for life in a modern environment. So either we all go back to the stone age to soothe your superstitions, or else you bugger off to a remote hillside safely away from all the nasty modern electrickery. Do you need any help with packing?

Alert

Verily!

"Wifi / WiMax is worse.. I had a Wifi/Max Mast on my roof. As an internet connection between Bracknell and my ISP in Reading (TELE2).

After a few years I could not remember what I had typed on an A4 page. My Typing became erratic, my spelling was terrible."

Yes, yes. These are all common side effects of having an internet connection. Seen it a million times.

But that's not the worst of it. Soon you will have uncontrolable urges to seek out cat pictures with funny captions, become embroiled in long pointless arguments in comments sections, and spend hours on end editing Wikipedia pages about Battlestar Galactica!

Trust me, I too suffer from this dreadful illness. I speel liek carp, and mae grammer r totuly unwel! Ceiling Cat halp us all!

Thumb Down

Energy Workings?

>>I have done energy workings and other things that I dont want to talk about here

And you really think that you deserve to be taken seriously after having admitted to this?

Black Helicopters

Gormless

Such stories are simply bread and circus for the unwashed masses, blown out of proportion by the media for their agenda.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.