back to article US.gov questions DNS liberalisation plans

The US government has criticised an ICANN plan to allow many more top level domain extensions, raising questions once again over the organization's independence from political interests in Washington. The Los Angeles-based quango that runs the domain name system (DNS), is consulting on liberalistaion proposals that would allow …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steven Hunter
    Stop

Still don't see the point in more TLDs...

It's not as if I'm going to be able to buy microsoft -dot- <whatever> and expect to be able to keep it.

And if you can't buy domain names that someone already has under dot-com (or another TLD) then it seems that this is just another way for GoDaddy /et al/ to make a pretty penny parking domains with Google ads and/or "pharmaceutical" sites and filling the world's DNS servers with even more junk entries. Not to mention the extended phishing possibilities of non-ASCII characters in URLs.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Ibegyourpardon?

>it should leave decisions over whether to allow controversial domain extensions to national governments, "such as adjudication of morality, public order and community objections"<

No it bloody well shouldn't! Gubmint should absolutely not have any say whatsoever in adjudication of morality - that's called censorship and most up-to-date constitutions have prohibitions against it. Sheez... the quality of politicians these days...

3. vincent himpe

Good !

Allow cyrillic character immediately.. That way it easier to filter all dubious sites. If it is not using western script : block it !

4. Franklin

Must not jeopardize...

Waitaminnit. The DNS system is stable and secure? When did that happen?

5. BioTube

Sense? Washington?

That's a shocker. Hopefully the pressure will dissuade ICANN from this insane scheme(which is why the international governance scheme is crap - the UN can't even scare a crackpot dictatorship).

6. Eddie Johnson
    Stop

@Steven Hunter

You are right on target! New TLD's are created only to sell the equivalent domain names to the person who already holds the .com. When they added .biz and .info and all the other DNS 2.0 TLD's I was inundated with offers to "buy them quick - before my competitors did." I resisted on principle. The only people who want these new domains are spammers, scammers and the sellers themselves.

7. druck Silver badge

No gTLDs

Not only am I fully in agreement with Eddie about the money making scam of additional gTLDs, but I'd like to see the end of gTLDs altogether by sticking a .us on the end of the current ones, as they should have all along. Then all domains are country specific, there is no problem with jurisdiction over disputes, and if Russia wants Cyrillic and China wants Chinese characters, then they are free to do so within .ru and .cn

8. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

"Raising questions"?

"raising questions once again over the organization's independence from political interests in Washington."

Raising questions?? These ICANN -people are the sock puppets for Bushco and that's very clear to everybody who doesn't live in Bushland or it's European sibling, UK.

It's not all their fault, though. They happen to live in a country where disagreement with government leads to Guantanamo without trial, secretly.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like