Feeds

back to article Prof's robotic pole-snake goes big in Korea

Engineering profs based in Virginia have scooped a Korean tech prize by designing a robotic pole-climbing snake. The snakey pole-robot in action 'Unique even in nature' The snake, known as HyDRAS-Ascent (Hyper-redundant Discrete Robotic Articulated Serpentine) is intended to climb up scaffolding, pillars or whatnot and carry …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Paris Hilton

"Hi, Everyone. Let's Pitch In 'N' Get Cracking Here In Louisiana Doing Right, Eh?"

"HyDRAS-Ascent (Hyper-redundant Discrete Robotic Articulated Serpentine)"

This is brilliant and well worth the cost of development. Perhaps "ASCENT" could have stood for "ASsisted Climbing / Envelopment Neural Technology".

Or they could have had SUPA-SNakE ("Strangely Undulating Perpetually-Angulated Sinister NAKed Eel").

Anonymous Coward

"unique even in nature", puzzlingly.

Not Puzzling, it is unique, it does something that does not occur in nature. (Like the Wheel!)

Rolling up the pole, is a clever trick, I guess it doesnt happen in Nature because snakes have a top side and a bottom side. whereas this spiral rolling motion requires all sides to be the same.

Rob
Bronze badge
Paris Hilton

"oscillating joint motion"

Paris, 'nuff said.

Bronze badge
Coat

Have they designed...

...the COUNTER-rotating camera-segment, so that the operators don't get massive vertigo as the snake rolls up the pole?

Paris Hilton

lmao, any other females..

..read that headline and thing..."hrmmmmm" with a raised eyebrow?

do i need to grow up??? ;P

Happy

@Ashley, re: acronyms

The good folks at Virginia Tech have a long and proud history of interesting acronyms -- http://www.vtmagazine.vt.edu/spring04/letters.html -- including a winning "rename- the- college" contest entry of Eastern Institute of Enlightenment and Intellectual Outgrowth (or E-I-E-I-O).

This topic is closed for new posts.