A New England transit agency has vowed to work with three Massachusetts Institute of Technology undergraduates whom it had previously sued when they discovered serious flaws in the agency's electronic payment systems. The Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority (MBTA) said it would work with Zack Anderson, RJ Ryan, and Alessandro …
Predictions for future headlines:
Student hackers close vulns in Mifare
- "All's well that ends well," says Transit Authority, "but next time don't go public. Capisce?"
Student hackers die in ticket barrier testing related tragedy.
- Transit Authority: "They had no honour, and God was watching."
p.s. Name that film.
A Few Good Men?
Seriously? You couldn't make this shit up.
Another bunch of tosser students
These know-it-all students who soon discover they know very little about how the real world ticks are finally getting an introduction into the real world. Maybe now they understand that embarrassing a company for its poor level of security is not the best way to fix the problem.... but hey, we all know they were really after fame and fortune at some silly defcon.
Indeed, the Real World (TM), where corporations selling/nursing expensive but faulty products/systems prefer to shoot down any messengers of doom as a short-term fix. Sure, the researchers wanted to get some kudos in the white-hat community, just as the company wanted not to have to admit that their equipment was less than fit for purpose, or develop and roll out a fix. Or to put it another way:
It's not my job to run the train, the whistle I can't blow,
It's not my job to tell how far the train's allowed to go,
It's not my job to let off steam, nor even clang the bell,
But watch the damned thing jump the tracks and see who catches Hell!
- Breaking news: Google exec veep in terrifying SKY PLUNGE DRAMA
- Geek's Guide to Britain Kingston's aviation empire: From industry firsts to Airfix heroes
- Analysis Happy 2nd birthday, Windows 8 and Surface: Anatomy of a disaster
- Google CEO Larry Page gives Sundar Pichai keys to the kingdom
- Something for the Weekend, Sir? SKYPE has the HOTS for my NAKED WIFE