back to article Green Hills spins out military Integrity for masses

The military has always had better security than we can get on our computers, and Green Hills Software, a provider of a real-time, secure operating system called Integrity, wants to change that. To that end, the company has spun its Integrity operating system into a wholly owned subsidiary called Integrity Global Security and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Gates Halo

I guess it depends

I guess it depends on what you mean by security, and the press release<<<<<<<<article doesn't really say. Yes an authentication layer can be added on top of WinNT, or a layer which claims to provide access controls, or a layer which claims to provide an audit log. And you can do these in an OS-independent way; indeed, stuff like CDSA aka Common Distributed Security Architecture has been doing much of this for some real OSes for a decade or more, but you almost certainly won't have heard of it (and it doesn't claim to be ready for niches like DO-178).

But as soon as anyone claims they put "a security layer" on top of Windows, it loses all credibility as a means of actually enforcing security in a meaningful way, because of the insecurity of the underlying OS.

Alert

Right

>>The military has always had better security than we can get on our computers

Just ask Gary McKinnon

Anonymous Coward

@AC

I thought it went UNDER windows, allowing you to control everything passing between the OS and the hadware?

Anonymous Coward

@Right

there is a bit of a difference between the security systems on a fighter jet or nucler missile silo and some dodgy windows server running in a branch office managed by a ten year old.

Anonymous Coward

erm...

The way I read it is that it's NOT putting a security layer on top of Windows - but putting Windows on top of a security layer. If that makes sense - for all intents and purposes, Windows just becomes a GUI playing in a sandbox and the underlying Integrity OS won't let that GUI play with the fundamentals.

Of course the weakest link, as far as commercial/home PCs are concerned will probably be the organic component sitting on a chair in front of the keyboard.

-----

"Integrity is for environments where you expect hostile, repeated attempts to breach security"

Hmmm, like the web? Especially for orgs like Spamhaus.

Paris Hilton

I wonder if OpenBSD has been tested

under the guidelines for EAL6+. hmm...must go and find out.

Paris because inquiring minds want to know.

Linux

Re: Anon Cow

The EAL stuff seems to be for commercially available systems only.

You would need to search for a specific implementation of OpenBSD being sold on some sort of device.

(penguin because you don't have an icon for the BSD demon)

Stop

@AC @Right

AC - to be fair tho - that was a pretty funny thing to say

I bet you're a bubble burster irl.

Silver badge

"The military has always had better security than we can get on our computers"

Pity they've never actually used it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums