Feeds

back to article Lego terrorist threatens democracy

Religious leaders have united to express their dismay at a custom range of Lego figures - including a "Toy Taliban" armed to the teeth with C96 broomhandle Mauser pistol, AK Assault Rifle and M67 frag grenades. BrickArms' Toy taliban figure The offending terrorist - made by US firm BrickArms and punted for £9.50 to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

What?

Is this for real????!!!!!

a tenner!

For that surely you can get a perfectly good model B52...

Coat

I hope El Reg will be buying some

I think you need something to add a certain 'authenticity' to your playmobile airport scenes, and this seems the perfect product.

...Gets coat...

Anonymous Coward

Confusion

I thought Afghans were CIA backed freedom fighters, I'd forgotten they've been re-branded as terrorists. Perhaps someone would be kind enough to publish an up-to-date list so I don't make the mistake again.

Perhaps the company who makes the model has the same problem.

Anonymous Coward

eh

I think Mohammed Shaffiq needs to get perspective, terrorists are abhorrent, little plastic figures are just fodder for other little placstic figures.

I mean, what's up with some kid getting his toy army men and blowing the s--t out of his toy terrorists?

Retards need to stop getting offended and start sorting out their flocks instead.

LMAO

That is all.

Now, look what they have done!

All that bitching has had some effect on them. Why is it that every self-righteous freak gets a saying on every part of someone elses life?

Just now, they renamed the minifig to a more generic "White Bandit" (of course, it couldn't be any other color of bandit, lest they offend someone else), and changed the image to an "exploded view", showing off all the accessories. They also hid the fully assembled "Taliban" action shot from their list of available merchandise.

http://www.minifigforlife.com/theprostore/main.php?P=product&pid=C000057

The site seems to be dedicated to collectors, not to kiddies. Their specialty is custom-made weapons for Lego minifigs, pressumably for grownups.

-dZ.

Anonymous Coward

Good Model B52

Depends on whether you want more hypothetical killing efficiency for your money. £10 for a single Taliban will probably be better value for money than a B52?

Flame

@ those objecting to the toy

W@nkers.

Flame

reality

These people exist, why shouldn't kids re-enact what these religious scum do.

They will find out sooner or later anyway.

Hopefully before they rule the world.

Coat

@ RichardB

"For that surely you can get a perfectly good model B52..."

Wow I'd pay a tenner for a model Kate Pierson or Cindy Wilson but I could take or leave the Fred Schnieder........

Legoland jaundice epidemic

One of my colleagues just pointed out that it was only a couple of years ago that Lego started to produce the parts to make figures with brown heads and hands. Up until then all Lego people were "yellow skinned" - there must have been an awful lot of jaundice going around in Legoland.

Nix
Thumb Up

Democracy

Kids playing with terrorist toys, next they'll be playing with GI Joe and Action Man toys encouraging them to be renegades.

Flame

...and another thing

On the website where that picture came from

http://www.minifigforlife.com/theprostore/main.php?P=cat&C=15

The figure is posted as being a 'White bandit' on their WW2 figures list.

So it's a WW2 bandit, and nothing to do with Al-Q.

So I say again to those who object - w@nkers.

Silver badge
Joke

I bought one but...

...the darn thing blew itself up!

W

Aphorism

"One man's freedom fighter is another's terrorist" - Bobby Gillespie and other cod-philosophers. There's something in it though

Happy

fantastic

Its just a modern day version of cowboys and indians! Good guys vs bad guys, where is the harm in that!

IT Angle

The only things...

...threatening Democracy are idiots like this... and the idiots that listen to them!

If you look at that toy and see a muslim terrorist and worse, you then identify with that... then that's your own negative self-image speaking and you need to talk to someone.

Stop

Touchy?

The site describes it as a "White Bandit"

This no doubt already falls foul...

of existing 'anti-terror' legislation, on both sides of the puddle.

Nice conversation piece though. Does it come with 'lego' hostages?

I want one

and I want it now

Silver badge
Thumb Up

@AC

It certainly is for real. They have been put to good use on a number of occasions e.g. http://www.thebricktestament.com/index.html

Also, just to point out "Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

Coat

Nazis. I hate these guys.

If you want some Lego Nazis, you can quite legitimately obtain them here:

http://indianajones.lego.com/en-us/Products/IndianaJones/7622.aspx

Mine's the one with the bullwhip and Webley Mk VI.

Bronze badge

Brilliant!

El Reg, Ditch those Playmobil figures at once. We have seen the future.

Thumb Up

What an awesome little business

And very canny at PR too ... getting a mention in The Sun, three weeks before Christmas? Genius.

DT

They better not ban it

my lego Pirates, lego Darth Maul and lego Hitler need some company, and my lego Palestinians need some way to vent their feelings of oppression.

Although the passengers at the lego airport are gonna be pissed at any resultant delays.

Paris Hilton

Why only complaining about unfidels?

Maybe Mohammed Shaffiq should watch Palestinian TV for a while, to see some "absolutely disgusting" "glorifying of terrorism". Somehow these fellows tend to divert their efforts and attention to minor actions by infidels and turn a blind eye to their religious compatriots.

"Why do you see the speck in your brother's eye but fail to notice the beam in your own eye?"

Paris, cos she's thin as a splinter, but appreciates a good beam.

Alert

The best use of brickarms

Ahh yes, but without brickarms, we wouldn't have many of these "classics in lego"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/balakov/sets/72157602602191858/

Coat

"White Bandit"

Bit racist isn't it can't other colours be bandits too :)

OK I'm off......

Flame

Bloody hell...

When will we as a society decide to grow the fuck up, and realize that this just a bloody lego peice. Thats it, moulded plastic, nothing more.

This is the same problem as that Tiger advert. Eight sodding people complained. Eight!! Give me a week and I bet you I can round up eight people who think they've been abducted by aliens. My point is, why are we letting eight (probably extremists/nutters) tell the sane majority what they can and cannot see?

It all boils down to this idea of having a right not to be offended, an idea which is really taking hold of this country. We're actively encouraging censorship people, what the fuck???

We must fight, not for the right to offend, but for our right to be offended. When we ask that something be censored, we give away our own right to decide.

Grow the fuck up people...

Anonymous Coward

Put simply, they're not for kids...

Somebody needs to look up Brickfilms on Google....

Thumb Down

@CockKnocker

Where's the harm in it? I'm sure the countless exterminated "Indians", Jews, Russians, Gypsies, Armenians, Tutsis, blitzed Londoners, ad nauseum, think dichotomic worldviews are just fucking dandy.

Boffin

@Richard

"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

Terry Pratchett's 'Masqerade' FTW ?

Why the outcry?

Toy soldiers are nothing new. You don't have to agree with their cause to have a toy one.

And it sounds like it's not real Lego anyway.

Paris - because her legs can be parted on demand too.

Flame

Mock outrage

So, the great Mohammed Shaffiq has spoken out against a humourous toy.

How come this is the first time anybody has heard of him? Where were his great speeches condemming Islamic terrorists when they were blowing up people in the middle of London?

He better start enjoying what's left of his life here on earth, 'cos he sure as hell won't enjoy the next one.

Coat

May not be 'real' lego ...

... but it shows a certain amount of creativity, which is to be applauded IMO.

Of course, there's nothing to stop you getting a 'Holy Trinity' minifig set from The Brick Testament (www.thebricktestament.com) - even if you're not of a religious turn of mind, and I'm not, it's well worth a look to see various bible stories portrayed using Lego.

(also, lest we forget, a Lego reenactment of Eddie Izzard's "Death Star Canteen" sketch can be found on youtube)

Silver badge
Stop

Oh come ON!

I mean, a broomhandle Mauser!? FFS, it's the twenty-first century, can't they at least have Makarovs? Of course, the Iraqi version would have a Glock (supplied to the Iraqi Police by our gormless EU politicians, up to 70% are thought to have been passed straight on to Shia militias).

Mohammed Shaffiq is just typical of the attention-seeking lobby groups common on both sides of the pond which go around looking for things to get incensed about to get a little publicity, and - face it - it works, otherwise there is no way you would have heard of him or his outfit. True, he does usually take a stand against extremist Muslim groups (they did condemn the Glasgow airport attacks last year, for example), but he's getting a rep as Rent-A-Quote. Surely he should be too busy condemning the recent Mumbai attacks and "reaching out" to British-based relatives of the Mumbai victims to have time to attack Lego mods?

Anonymous Coward

@DZ-Jay

>Just now, they renamed the minifig to a more generic "White Bandit"

If you look in Google Cache for brickarms "Mr White" you can see that it had that same name on 8th November, long before these religious nutters decided to publically associate this generic character with their own faith.

Retro toys

These "terrorist" designs are clearly designs from the 1980s, when the Afghans were friendly- even the mainstream Rambo II was dedicated to the "brave fighters of afghanistan" or something similar, and didn't James Bond get them to help him in some film or other?

And I'm sure that no-one could object to the combination of Lego-RPG launcher and a lego SS person? Or would you prefer that innocent little timmy the paperboy (complete with cute backwards facing cap) was being blown up? You sick people!

Anonymous Coward

No mention of the taleban here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12589226@N08/2808942268/

Anonymous Coward

Not really a Toy...

Brick arms sells to adult collectors... I would hardly consider them toys.

Lego do not make these. they have a policy against modern military, although pirates Indiana Jones and Star Wars are all ok...

Anonymous Coward

C96 broomhandle Mauser pistol, AK Assault Rifle and M67 frag grenades

And an RPG-7 strapped to his back

Coat

No big deal...

..as impressionable kids, that would like to pursue the (very short) career path exhibited by the toy figure, would be denied that career path by any self-respecting and serious terror cell. They know that kids make poor suicide bombers. They are too short in stature to serve as an effective base for spreading shrapnel.

Mine is the one with the onions in the pocket...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0Zj5XxK9ec

Any others

Golliwogs, Klansmen, english soldiers or other monsters?

Alert

Terrorist?

With the grenades strapped to his torso he looks to me like a very convincing suicide bomber. Which works well because the head and arms detach and the torso can be separated from the abdomen for added authenticity. I understand that the severed but otherwise intact head is the easiest way to identify a suicide bomber (after the event).

Glib comments aside, I am of course horribly outraged, etc....

Anonymous Coward

You know what?

Its a crazy old small plastic world and it takes all sorts of small plastic people. Most find a small plastic way to get along, most of the small plastic time. Sometimes - perhaps more than often than we can pass off as chance - some small plastic people have a small plastic problem accepting the small plastic people around them. In their small plastic minds, the small plastic differences become great big small plastic issues and sometimes they go on to become an irrational small plastic hatred. Given the right small plastic conditions, some of these small plastic people can wind up committing the worst kind of small plastic crimes.

Sure, the small plastic toys may not feel quite right, but it is when our small plastic children play small plastic games, that society passes on the small plastic memories that help us not to make the same small plastic mistakes their small plastic parents made. We shouldn't be hiding the small plastic truth, we should be explaining it. Its the right small plastic thing to do.

g e
Silver badge
Thumb Up

And yet more!

Is that an RPG-7 or similar peeking over the figures left shoulder also?

Ahhh the things you can learn playing COD4 ;o)

Silver badge

@MichaelG

"it's a WW2 bandit"

AK-47 did not appear before ...1947, so it can't be a WW2 bandit really.

Joke

Am I the only one

looking at that image and thinking Eccentrica Gallumbits

The only one who can ...

I dont see why He would even complain

By the act of complaining against this figurine he is associating Muslims with terrorists !!

But .02 I love it :D

And black Lego WTF that should never of been allowed,

*prays for some idiot in charge to realize 8 ppl offened against 60,776,238 people not offended to realise sending 8 letter to tell people to shut the F up is easier than a full mounter PR campaign to tell the rest of the country and then mount a law suit and then ... actually where does all that money go when they win ?????

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.