Feeds

back to article ARSes crush Novell profits

Software maker Novell has reported financial results for its fiscal fourth quarter of 2008 ending October 31, and the meager profits that the reorganized company was able to eek out were mostly wiped out by an impairment charge related to its investment in auction rate securities. ARSes, for short. Sales in the quarter came to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Coat

I'd make a joke, but...

I can't be ARSed.

Dead Vulture

Boo!

That's eke, not eek, unless they're trying to turn a profit by scaring people.

Bronze badge
Paris Hilton

ARSE!

FECK! DRINK!

Flame

OUCH!

No, no... nothing about the article, or at least nothing about the content. In fact, I'd like to send the link around at work as we are a Novell shop. But if I did, my boss would take both me and you, Reg, less seriously.

Please have an editor go at this story so I can pass the link around without having to say "sorry about the obvious lack of proof reading. What do you expect, it's just a bunch of geeks with a web zine thingy."

Thanks. Love you.

Thumb Up

Less loss!

Well! As a NetWare admin, hearing that the loss has slowed a bit from expectation is good news. From my point of view, this may have more to do with Open Enterprise Server v2 being significantly better than the v1 version of it, and thus seeming to be a viable successor to what we've been using for the last, er, 20+ years. It has been a while, hasn't it?

SP1 for OES2 posted the day before Novell announced their financials and includes more things to complete the 'missing feature' list from NetWare, like a functional AFP stack, and a CIFS stack that can scale into the 1000's. Two things that make it coexist better in this macbook fueled world.

Thumb Up

Crush Profits?

I don't think crush is the right word as far as Novell profit's are concerned. 33% in linux sales is huge milestone and foreshadows what's coming as far as linux servers AND desktops are concerned. SLES and SLED are solid OS's regardless of what Red Hat fans will tell you. And we're a Novell shop too, so I guess I'm being a little biased here. However, when your enterprise runs smooth you have to thank your underlying operating systems and software that handle your workload. Mainly SLES 10 with OES 2 SP 1. And I like the small increase in Identity Management solutions. We use Novell's Identity Manager Vault and I know a few other enterprises who can do all sorts of crazy things with it compared to other identity management products.

This topic is closed for new posts.