back to article White space debate comes to Blighty

While the FCC is happy to let consumers in the USA make use of the space between TV channels, in the UK the debate is only just beginning. Once analogue TV transmissions are switched off the digital network will still leave regional gaps, known as white spaces, where some believe low-powered devices should be allowed to hang …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andy

Everyone move up one, I want a clean frequency?

I suppose it's too simplistic to say that all the digital channels should shift up so they are closer together, then we'd have some spare frequencies at the "end"?

2. Andy Barber
    Alien

Ofcom

"...and no matter who loses you can be sure that Ofcom will get the blame."

I for one, wish to welcome our Ofcom overlords!

3. Mage Silver badge
    Flame

It won't work even in USA

Since 1970s or earlier the "Hidden Transmitter Syndrome" has had no solution:

A<------->B<-------->C<----->D

A is transmitting to B

C and B could hear each other, but C can't hear A and B can't hear D.

Unless ALL devices are part of a smart network with real time accurate location database, it doesn't work. The database has to have the nearby frequency offset vs distance curve for each device.

If B is a TV set you are doomed.

Cognitive Radio and White Space radios are both fantasy. You can only deploy a radio by software in one band (real radios need physical filters that can't be change much by SW/CPU). You can never have enough information to do "White Space" without hurting someone's reception.

You need the boring old-fashioned idea of International co-ordination of band technology and allocations so consumer gear will work at borders never mind other countries and is >1Million volume and the band spec doesn't change very often.

In that respect utilising some replacement for EDGE in GSM makes more sense than migrating HSDPA/3G to 900MHz/1800MHz. The existing handsets/modems keep working but more timeslots or 200kHz carriers can have a different Modulation scheme in them (such as OFDMA/QAM) for higher speed /more robust etc.

We need joined up thinking and planned spectrum not a joss stick inspired Radio Free For all.

Unfortunately the USA devices will be imported and like iTrips and Analogue 49MHz cordless before they will be made retrospectively legal. FCC has lost the plot.

4. SImon Hobson Bronze badge
    Thumb Down

But there isn't any spare space ...

... it's all being sold off. After all, Ofcom's "consultation" showed that everyone is in favour of selling off, I don't suppose many ticked the box for "don't sell it all off". Oh wait, there wasn't an option for not selling it, the consultation was merely on HOW it should be sold.

5. Alistair

@Andy

Q: I suppose it's too simplistic to say that all the digital channels should shift up so they are closer together, then we'd have some spare frequencies at the "end"?

A: Yes. There is a reason there were only four and a half terrestrial analogue TV stations here for all those years. Digital TV is more efficient when it comes to using spectrum but the same physical laws apply.

6. Lionel Baden

BBC

Well why doesnt the BBc but the Space.

Problem solved imo

Then they can also auction off the space for more crappy teleshopping channels

Keeping our TV space TV

This topic is closed for new posts.