back to article Inverness to host UK's most eco-friendly datacentre

Highland data hosting outfit Alchemy Plus is planning to use the Scottish winters to cool servers at a new datacentre in Inverness, piping the heat to nearby offices, shops and a hotel, while utilising the green energy that abounds north of the border. The proposal is part of the regeneration of Inverness Harbour, and will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Dingwell?

You meant Dingwall, I'm sure.

Anonymous Coward

"an iconic landmark building"

it'll have a leaky roof

Dead Vulture

Energy demarkation

"we're not certain how they're going to make sure that the electricity they use comes from such sources"

Sorry to be a pedant but there if you're connected to the national grid, there is no way to determine where your energy comes from. The trick is to get your supplier to source the equivilant amount of energy from green sources.

Now go and sit in the corner of the internet.

Linux

You say Dingwell, and I say Dingwall

Are we to expect a stompede of data centers from Norway, Greenland, Alaska, the Falklands, etc..?

Still, I suppose it makes some sense...

Penguin cos they like the cold

Paris Hilton

Dingley Dell DataCentre....

No Doubt run by Mr Blobby and his chums....

where reliabilty is gonna be measured in Blobbys....

Paris.... cos she is better at keeping her data safe (based on results)

Coat

Dingwall please

It's Dingwall, not Dingwell. And we've free parking so I prefer it to working Across the Bridge which is local-speak for Inverness and the parking is not free. And it is bloody parky here and getting parkier tonight.

I'll just get my heavy-lined parka ...

Bronze badge
Flame

WTF?

"an iconic landmark building... that will act as a beacon for others"

So they fully expect it to burn down then?

simple translation

"Alchemy intends to power all this iron using "established hydro-electric and wind power schemes", though we're not certain how they're going to make sure that the electricity they use comes from such sources."

--> translates as "we use Scottish Power's* Green tariff" since that's where all that stuff comes from.

Good Energy are a hell of a lot better though, since they don't own any non-renewable generators and don' t piss about with trading carbon credits. They retire them instead.

Plus one of the mainstream leccy companies here is boasting about being the world's biggest wind energy group, by virtue of being part of a group that has 1000s of turbines in the much more enlightened Spain....

* - or Scottish Hydrelectric, I mix them up.

Happy

oversight?

Just wondering.... do they have they got enough technicians oop narth to service it?

(I kid dae wiv a cheenge o jobe an' I rither lek it in ma hame coonties)

Alert

Yeah, right: Inverness is always warm...

They are barking right up the wrong tree.

Dingwall is cold, Elgin is colder (much!) but Inverness is much warmer than anywhere nearby, being sheltered and on the sea.

No snow in Inverness today, but inland, yes.

Inverness is +3 degrees today - inland still sub-zero.

Much ado about nothing...

AC coz I want a job!

Happy

Dingwall Call Centre

A call centre in Dingwall! Please connect me. The best we get in OZ is Phillipines where they speak US accented English, no problems, we practice with the TV imports. Got to be better than Bangalore where about one in five is comprehensible. I did offer the staff Hindi lessons - no takers.

Dingwall and Inverness have the least accented English on the planet

Slainte

Jim

@Jim and Dingwall

The Vertex call centre managed to get the Westminster contract with much fanfare here and much doom from previous London possessors who felt that 600 miles away from the action was silly. The contract replaced another one that was lost to India who could tell UK train times from umpteen thousand miles away much better than anyone in Britain. Logic.

Although an import myself and perfectly happy with the gadge-speak, right-enough, barri-craic Dangwall accent, I'm not absolutely certain it would count as the least-accented English on the planet.

Slainte mhaith

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums