Feeds

back to article Samsung pitches '15,000rpm HDD speed' SSD

Samsung has begun churning out 256GB solid-state drives, and it claimed the new models are more that twice as fast as their predecessors. According to Samsung, the 256GB SSD has a sequential read speed of 220MB/s and a sequential write speed of 200MB/s. Samsung 256GB SSD Samsung's 256GB SSD: as fast as a 15,000rpm HDD? The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Cost?

Ah but in this time of the credit crunch, the important question has to be, how much of a hole will it leave in my wallet? At 256GB that's surely in the realms of a remortgage?

Dead Vulture

Reg year end parties taking effect

Um. Aren't SSD's meant to be good at random?

Joke

El Reg has it backwards

Yes, AC, it's sequential I/O (particularly writing) that SSDs are usually not good at. With zero latency, they do random I/O at the same speed as sequential -- much faster than discs do.

No - they're still sober

SSDs have huge problems with lots small random writes as each requires rewriting of a very large sector. It's so bad that many reviewers don't recommend first generation SSDs purely because of this. There's lots written elsewhere on the net on this subject.

Bronze badge

yup, random writes are a problem

This is what gave Intel SSDs marketing impact - they managed to squeeze really good random writes from MLC silicon. But SLC write performance is quite decent by nature - is this Samsung drive MLC or SLC?

Flame

rekon its possible to...

..add a small loudspeaker to produce that turbine like spinup whine of a 15K hdd to a ssd? half the fun of having enterprise class kit in a workstation is having it sound like it means business on power on!

This topic is closed for new posts.