back to article Cisco shares dip after reports of holiday shutdown

Cisco Systems plans to shut down its US and Canadian operations for the last week of December as part of a larger plan to cut fiscal 2009 expenses. A Cisco spokeswoman confirmed the year-end office shuttering with El Reg, saying the networking omnicorp will close its doors December 29 through January 2. Certain exceptions will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

not so surprising

This shutdown isn't so surprising. It may just be a way to get employees to use up their time-off, since that's on the books as a debt. Cisco has always been, as they put it, "frugal". As witness this joke which circulated internally, several years ago:

http://www.angelfire.com/ego/frugal/drink_frugally.jpg

2. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Maybe theres more

Could it be that the IT masses are waking up and giving Cisco the finger? We did and couldn't be happier! There's nothing smart about smartnet if you have to pay! Maybe their day as top dog is coming to an end. Thank god!

My HP rep isn't forced to take vacation for a week. Hmm, i think i can still get a hold of someone at Juniper too.

El' Reg, don't use the global economy as an excuse for a stagnant market leader that has turned to milking it's client base to survive.

Yours Truely;

A very happy HP Procurve customer!

3. Tony
    Happy

@AC 01:31 GMT

Well, I am sure that HP will be very grateful for the massive number of orders that you will make between 29th December and 2nd January and I'll bet Cisco will by sat at home crying into their eggnog at missing out!

I'm not sure why this is such big news at all. In my experience most people that work in offices with the exception of critical staff take that period off voluntarialy anyway. On the occasions when I have worked over the holiday period there is nothing to do as no-one is ordering anything (apart from the time I was working at a wine company).

All Cisco are doing as far as I can see is saying 'Almost no-one will be at work and those that will won't be doing anything, so we might as well shut the offices and save ourselves some cash'. It seems like common sense given the current climate. Surely investors should be more concerned about companies that are happy to waste cash and energy than those that are looking at ways to save them?

4. Mike Holden
    Unhappy

False advertising

I only came here to read a story about a big company handing out guacamole. Imagine my disappointment when I started to read the story.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like