Architectures can change quickly in the supercomputing space, and slow-moving vendors can get left behind or at least find themselves out of step with the next big wave of sales in the HPC area. This has happened in the past with Silicon Graphics, and the company is determined to not let it happen again. At the SC08 …
SGI is dumping Itanium
Nehalem will destroy Tukwila for HPC. The Top500 list only has 9 Itanium systems left and that is because intel had a firesale(freesale) with leftover chips. Tukwila could go in the same socket as future xeon with the CSI socket but in the HPC space Itanium is dead. The Sun is coming up.
HPC will end up being led by X86 entirely
There is nothing that comes close to price performance of X86.
Itanium would have died already had it not been for the desperate need of HP to find a port for HP_UX.
- Stick a 4K in them: Super high-res TVs are DONE
- BEST BATTERY EVER: All lithium, all the time, plus a dash of carbon nano-stuff
- Review You didn't get the MeMO? Asus Pad 7 Android tab is ... not bad
- DINOSAUR SLAYER asteroid strike was DEVILISHLY inconvenient timing
- Russia: There is a SPACECRAFT full of LIZARDS in orbit above Earth and WE control it