Architectures can change quickly in the supercomputing space, and slow-moving vendors can get left behind or at least find themselves out of step with the next big wave of sales in the HPC area. This has happened in the past with Silicon Graphics, and the company is determined to not let it happen again. At the SC08 …
SGI is dumping Itanium
Nehalem will destroy Tukwila for HPC. The Top500 list only has 9 Itanium systems left and that is because intel had a firesale(freesale) with leftover chips. Tukwila could go in the same socket as future xeon with the CSI socket but in the HPC space Itanium is dead. The Sun is coming up.
HPC will end up being led by X86 entirely
There is nothing that comes close to price performance of X86.
Itanium would have died already had it not been for the desperate need of HP to find a port for HP_UX.
- +Comment Trips to Mars may be OFF: The SUN has changed in a way we've NEVER SEEN
- OnePlus One cut-price Android phone on sale to all... for 1 HOUR
- MARS NEEDS WOMEN, claims NASA pseudo 'naut: They eat less
- Back to the ... drawing board: 'Hoverboard' will disappoint Marty McFly wannabes
- Vid Do you STRUGGLE with EMAIL? You need ANOTHER INBOX, says Google