back to article Adobe's Flex Builder to woo Microsoft C# developers

The next version of Flex Builder will help Windows developers slap an Adobe-authored front-end on data-centric .NET applications. Adobe Systems today demonstrated Flex Builder client-side code talking to Microsoft's C# language via the Adobe Action Message Format (AMF). "This is AMG with .NET on the back-end," senior technical …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
E

Project Alchemy

Speaking as an unreconstructed C and C++ programmer (C-octothorpe? Wha' that?) I like the idea of writing C/C++ for Flash. K&R perfected programming syntax and semantics 30+ years ago - one language to rule them all and one language to bind them I say!

But... unless Adobe manages to wedge POSIX, libc and MS's C library, the STL and (please oh please) Boost into Flash most of those millions and millions of lines of existing C/C++ code are not going to be terribly useful to Flash programmers.

If, on the other hand, Adobe is going to expose the WIN32 C API and co., or libc, inside Flash then all Adobe will have achieved is to make Flash as dangerous as ActiveX (or whatever MS is calling ActiveX these days!)

Editor: you need a hand icon with the thumb horizontal.

Black Helicopters

C++ on a VM?

"Adobe now wants to make that code accessible to Flash Player and AIR."

Let them tackle boost first and then I'll be interested.

S
IT Angle

Que?

"client-side code talking to Microsoft's C# language via the Adobe Action Message Format (AMF)"

What on earth does it mean to be talking to the C# language?

@E

There is limit'ed POSIX support by default, I think, and if you want to staticly link in the whole STL or what have you, feel free.

Joke

re: Que?

It means "I don't understand this press-release, so I'm cutting and pasting bits together as fast as I can in the hope no-one will notice."

See also "One possible application: Bringing over games authored in C and C++ to Flash". Adobe's page announcing Alchemy announces (I suspect optimistically), "anywhere from 2-10x slower than native C/C++ code". I for one bow before our new 2 FPS gaming overlords...

Paris Hilton

lib vorbis ?

"Alchemy also lets you play Ogg Vorbis and Lib Vorbis that were previously unable to run in the Flash Player or AIR"

What is Lib Vorbis ? Isn't that rather a port of libvorbis that allows to play Ogg Vorbis content ?

This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums