back to article El Reg seeks top net neologism

It's come to our notice that you, our beloved readers, do take a close interest in the destruction evolution of the English language, as exemplified by the inclusion of "meh" in the Collins English Dictionary and the elevation of "wiki" to the OED. Like it or not, when it comes to neologisms the interwebs are a fertile …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Fred

Neo Whats?

Can't think of any good ones. I'll just go and look for some on the internerd.

2. Neil Greatorex
    Jobs Horns

The one, the only

iTards.

Gets my vote :-)

3. Rob Mellor
    Thumb Up

Turdspurt

Obviously.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Not tech but...

... wasn't the term "Twatdangle" coined here?

If so, that makes it net-spawn, therefore I nominate it :-D

5. Piloti

Web Words....

"...we're inviting readers to submit their fave vocab gleaned from the wonderful worldwide web..."

Nope there isn't one.

Not a one.

P.

6. Dominic Kua
    Thumb Up

Surely it has to be

Pwn, pwned and various derivatives. It actually feels nicer to say pwned than owned even!. Once a typo, now a term in its own right, pwning is the new win!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Mashups anyone?

Let this be the start of the glorious flamewars

8. Major N
    Paris Hilton

Ok, so it might not have spawned on 'teh w3bz0rz' but...

Twatdangle. Best. Word. Ever.

Paris, cuz.. well.. have you ever seen her exit a car?

9. Simon Riley

No IT angle but...

Arse antlers has to be my favourite new phrase of the last few years.

10. Anonymous John

Digilante

"Internet-based crime-fighter, above or not necessarily in conjunction with the law.

419eater.com is a good example of a "digilante" "

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=digilante

11. James
    Coat

evolution...

I think it has to be twatdangle...so many applications, or is that applicators

12. MJ
    Boffin

Call me old-fashioned,

- but I still like 'woot!'. As an expression of joy, it pretty much encapsulates 'whooping with joy' into a word in an almost onomatopoeic manner.

I also like 'Wiigii!'.

Recently, in the Dungeon's & Dragons Tiny Adventure application on Facebook, the following terms were born:

Mars'd (or marsed) - Indicates a string of bad luck, particularly in the realm of gaming and technology. Servers down? They've been Mars'd. Rolled a 1 nine times in a row in Iron Man? Totally Mars'd.

Jindra'd (jindraed) - The opposite of Mars'd.

And, the crème de la crème: Wibble!

If anyone can define 'wibble' for me, go ahead.

13. Sceptical Bastard

Celebretard

Another El Reg neologism - celebretard. It speaks for itself.

And I rather like 'Milf' (the word rather than that woman who lives two doors away)

14. David

Twatdangle

no further comment

15. Andrew Moore
    Thumb Up

Twatdangle

Type your comment here — plain text only, no HTML

16. Ad Fundum

Net neologisms?

Meh.

17. Matt Thornton

Presumably

*-tard.

Meh.

18. Adrian Jackson
    Stop

I have been reliably informed...

...that the acronym FHUTA should be the inevitable winner in any net neologism poll.

19. Adrian Jackson
    Boffin

Entertaining swears from the internet era...

Well, they're all going to be popular choices, aren't they? The only two I could possibly vote for are fucknuggets and asshat, though, with a slight preference for the latter.

As far as more internetty words go, I like 'blogosphere'. Using it in polite conversation is the perfect way for someone to indicate to me that they are desirous of being punched in the face.

20. Jamie
    Linux

Was going to say none

But then I noticed the word twatdangle and the reference to Paris.

Hence that is the only word that I would approve.

21. ahahaha you won't catch me that easy again
    Gates Halo

f#cktards

...was one i first came across on el reg methinks...perhaps not it's original source, but as web related as most...

big bad bill in what looks like a pith helmet in those small pics....

22. Richard_C
    Flame

...And did those L33T in ancient times...

More glory to Twunts, WOOTs and freetards please.

Oh and the ever-present Interwebs (always plural, because it's a series of tubes dontchaknow!)

23. Admiral Grace Hopper

-tard

The use of "tard" as a suffix to denote contempt for noun thus suffixed.

24. John
    Thumb Up

twatdangle

It must be the homespun El Reg "twatdangle" - it has even spawned websites devoted to slagging off the git wizard himself.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Celebutard

I like the ___tard collection of words.

Freetard, paytard, celebutard.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

compound words

the options have to be either twunt or fucktard

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Twunts.

That is all.

28. Max
    Thumb Up

Cewebrity

I, Max, am claiming credit to forming this word 2 years ago.

CEWEBRITY: Any person who becomes famous only on the web yet their existence goes unnoticed in normal society.

29. Glyn
    Heart

pretty much anything

preceded by fuck

fuckstick

fucknut

fucktard

etc.

etc.

etc.

swearing is good

30. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

we don't need no steeking titles

Twatdangle is going to get my vote if it makes it into your list, but I now regularly use the following in verbal communication:

* Bum Hats

* Meh

* kthanxbai (you MUST imagine that said in a tone that drips sarcasm, can only be used to describe a user dumber than a cat and as readily distracted by shiny crap)

* luser

* lart

* PFY

* Yarr (ok, not really a word, but it's a nice sound)

* I'd use BofH if it tripped off the tongue a little more clearly. It goes into written missives a lot though.

Pirates, because I get to say Yarr again...

31. Justin Pearson
    Go

Wibble!

Wibble! - When ones mind enters a state of jellification due to oddness encountered.

Arsemonkey... No I'm not going to try and define that!

Loving Twat Dangle and -Tard also

32. Ed Blackshaw Silver badge

How about the b3ta.com favourite

fucksocks!

33. Lee T.

Blagosphere

http://xkcd.com/181/

34. Oninoshiko
    Dead Vulture

re

I always liked this one from IRC (which I suppose is not technicly "teh intawebz"). It's fallen out of favor over the last decade or so, but "re" which is short for "re-hello" or "hello, again." It was useful when modems got disconnected.

most of my other favored ones are actually the classic millitary abbriviations, im sure we all know and love.

35. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

So many choices

Lets see here. Celebretard, W00t, Pwned (and it's many variations), Digirati. However my number one pick has got to be that which was coined right here on the comment pages of El Reg, Twatdangle. Still the uberest use of the english language evah.

36. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hmm

l33tard : the kind of twatdangle that describes themselves as l33t. Also refers to the clothing that most befits them, esp. if they're fat and spotty and sporting a programmer's tan.

w00t!

37. TheOtherMe
    Paris Hilton

MILF

Has a nice ring to it, and the conotations can leave the mind a wandering...

38. Ceiling Cat
    Happy

@MJ

Well, I used to hear it (wibble) in conjunction with the word "whinge" quite often. I assumed it was kind of like simpering, but more blatantly whiny.

A "wibble" is also a smiley. like the icon I chose for this comment.

Personally, I nominate the following :

Sotong - S.E.Asian word for squid, also means an annoying forum poster who asks the same newb question over and over again.

IAH'ed - To be repeatedly F*cked over by IAHGames, or for that matter, any other game hosting company. IAHgames are a subsidiary of The9, if anyone gives a sh*t.

LeeJunMing'ed - Or LJM'ed : To have your brain fried to a blackened pile of smoking fail by bad grammar, horrible english, and the realization that some sotong has just made the same damned post 100 times, but worded it slightly differently.

39. Thomas Baker

Swervey

I made it up a while ago.

*Asshat* has always been close to my heart.

Fista - as in Windows Fista - again one of mine, although a common thought that lots of people have also had - perhaps it was a collective subconsciousness thing, or perhaps Fista is just so shit it was inevitable. I hope Windows 7 is called something like Windows Regina or Windows Lucky or Windows Country or something else easily mangleable.

Pie-agra - nothing gives you the horn like a warm, moist pie.

There's probably loads more...

40. Chris G

So far got 11 of 38

For Twatdangle, which is my favourite of the lot including all of it's derivatives. I think I got up to ten when the topic was new.

Anything ending in 'tard i find excruciatingly irritating except for celebutard which does a perfect job of describing the kind of person who goes in for Big Brother of one of those `Help! get me out of here ´ type of shows.

Strangely, most of the web based phrases that I have come across and find funny or interesting seem to come from El Reg more than anywhere else.

Before I go I must decry the increasingly appalling standards of the English language, when I was a boy, if we made any grammatical mistakes, either spoken or written we were flogged to within an inch of our lives and made to sit in a pit full of scorpions and apart from the scarring and a slight limp ( and a prediliction for leather straps) it never did me any harm.

41. William Towle
    Thumb Up

My vote for...

"Podestrian".

// Hell in a handcart? Why, I heard a Channel 4 newsreader just the other day use "the question arises ..." as opposed to "begging the question" (sic, blah blah etc). All is not (um, yet) lost. it would seem :)

42. Hollerith

Is it just me?

Who says fud when meaning FUD? Do the rest of you actually say eff you dee? I like Fud as a word, and nominate it.

Could you have twatdangletards or is that too complex a thought?

43. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Meh.

Twatdangle

and any of the *tard derivatives.

Although fuckmuppet (indeed any fuck* word). Swearing is good for the soul.

44. Brian
    Coat

There - FTFY

FTFY is just a wonderfully sarcastic little coining.

Haven't seen it in a long time, but 'Microshafted' used to be popular a decade ago, and perfectly summed up the feeling you get when you had to rebuild an NT4 server because it had eaten its own filesystem.

Mine's the one with the twatdangler hanging from the pocket :o)

45. Lol Whibley
    Thumb Up

not sure if it qualifies but..

Rule 34

as in 'I call Rule 34 on Stricktly Come Dancing'

although if anyone knows what the hell XKCD is on about today, his concept of rule 34 is just plain odd..

46. GrahamT
    Thumb Up

Photoshopaganda

from the pages of El Reg.

Then Twatdangle.

Shirley, wibble is from Blackadder? So not interwebz at all.

47. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

I can has

Has to be teh win!

48. JimP

I'm not saying I like them, but...

FAIL as a noun, and always in caps.

LOL and hence LOLcats.

Wibble of course, but that probably falls into the old Reg days before the Inquiscism.

Adding -ster to the end of a word (like Regi?)

Init.

And finally, use of the phrase "skills shortage" to highlight the fact that the speaker/writer is incompetent at recruitment/retainment of staff.

49. Angus
    Thumb Up

*tard

Ya *tard for me.. Tho woot is a close second. Hmm actually any misspelling that has become accepted is good eg 'teh' etc. Since I am a crappy speller it gives me a way of looking hip while actually being a spelltard.

50. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just like the Icon Fiasco

You will ask us for all the ideas, and then do nothing.

We! Want! The! New! Icons!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like