Feeds

back to article Carbon Fibre MacBook Air to waft in soon?

Apple's next MacBook Air may be made out of carbon fibre, sources close to the company have claimed. Apple MacBook Air Apple's MacBook Air: aluminium base today, carbon fibre tomorrow If Apple gives an Air overhaul the go-ahead, the machine’s “lower aluminium case, or bottom cover” would be replace with carbon fibre, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

carbon LG secret??

hmmm.. not quite... the carbon panel on the back of the phone may be carbon fibre, but its laid on a metal backing, rendering its addition as purely cosmetic...

Carbon Mac??? they have done that before... The old Ti Powerbooks have a Titanium body attatched to a carbon frame whic is one thing i was sorry to loose when I upgraded... although thier poor paint process and low quality carbon fiber is not something i missed!

"Pure cosmetic"....

Very, very unlikely Matt. Carbon fibre is an expensive material and to add it simply for cosmetic purposes without any structural integrity benefits would be insane. It’d make the Iphone even more expensive!

Aluminium components wrapped in carbon fibre are common place on road bikes and is a technique used to vastly reduce the amount of metal around stems and bars, giving back greater structural rigidity and longevity for less weight than all metal. And less cost than ALL carbon fibre.

The carbon fibre on the back of the Iphone is likely to be a means by which to remove as much weight as possible to counter the glass on the front, whilst keeping a piece of the phone rigid enough to stop the user bending it and protect the internals.

Carbon fibre for the sake of it on a 'standard edition' iteration of a device is highly unlikely. It'll be there for a purpose.

Sorry, slight mis-quote there

I said you said Iphone. You didn't. My point in general still stands about not using carbon fibre purely for a cosmetic reason, but I kinda ruined it by talking bollocks ever so slightly!

This topic is closed for new posts.