Today, x64 chip maker Advanced Micro Devices will launch its "Shanghai" quad-core Opteron processors for servers and workstations, concurrent with its annual financial analyst day meeting and ahead of schedule by AMD's reckoning. The new chip - which offers more computing power, less heat dissipation, and better bang for the …
Lets hope AMD survives the downturn
Otherwise Intel will have the x86 market to itself and that'll probably be it as far as innovation goes - at least until another large competitor comes along.
512 MB of L2 cache memory?
wow I gotta get me one of those :)
Small typo: "Each Shanghai core has 512 MB of L2" => 512 KB
(Sorted - Ed)
These sound nice
I've got some old 200 series, and I held off on upgrading to Barcies. These look fun though. I may be persuaded.
If AMD does have problems, their FAB's will not be idle. 90nm MIPS and ARM SoC's compete with current Atom CPU's. 45 and 32nm versions will give Intel a run for their money.
Comparisons with Intel's processor
Anyone have any info comparing Intel's procs with those on the article?
- JLaw, Kate Upton exposed in celeb nude pics hack
- Google flushes out users of old browsers by serving up CLUNKY, AGED version of search
- GCHQ protesters stick it to British spooks ... by drinking urine
- China: You, Microsoft. Office-Windows 'compatibility'. You have 20 days to explain
- Something for the Weekend, Sir? If you think 3D printing is just firing blanks, just you wait