Today, x64 chip maker Advanced Micro Devices will launch its "Shanghai" quad-core Opteron processors for servers and workstations, concurrent with its annual financial analyst day meeting and ahead of schedule by AMD's reckoning. The new chip - which offers more computing power, less heat dissipation, and better bang for the …
Lets hope AMD survives the downturn
Otherwise Intel will have the x86 market to itself and that'll probably be it as far as innovation goes - at least until another large competitor comes along.
512 MB of L2 cache memory?
wow I gotta get me one of those :)
Small typo: "Each Shanghai core has 512 MB of L2" => 512 KB
(Sorted - Ed)
These sound nice
I've got some old 200 series, and I held off on upgrading to Barcies. These look fun though. I may be persuaded.
If AMD does have problems, their FAB's will not be idle. 90nm MIPS and ARM SoC's compete with current Atom CPU's. 45 and 32nm versions will give Intel a run for their money.
Comparisons with Intel's processor
Anyone have any info comparing Intel's procs with those on the article?
- Top Gear Tigers and Bingo Boilers: Farewell then, Phones4U
- Analysis iPhone 6: The final straw for Android makers eaten alive by the data parasite?
- Stephen Pie iPhone 6: Most exquisite MOBILE? No. It is the Most Exquisite THING. EVER
- First Crack Bloke buys iPHONE 6 and DROPS IT to SMASH on PURPOSE
- Early result from Scots indyref vote? NAW, Jimmy - it's a SCAM