Feeds

back to article Amazon UK pulls Scientology exposé for 'legal reasons'

Amazon UK has barred the sale of a new Scientology exposé penned by a former member of the church's "elite paramilitary group." The British incarnation of the world's most popular etailer is no longer offering The Complex: An Insider Exposes the Covert World of the Church of Scientology, a 318-page tome from John Duignan, who …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

why not just burn the books!!?!

Here's a amazing interview of a critic describing what the writer has been through :

http://anontube.com/5191/mike-garde-talks-about-the-complex/

But anyway... book banning in 2008: only with scientology...

and these morons still think they control the internet, the media, and the newspapers. lol

I can't wait for the shitstorm. :)

Unhappy

Bookstores have pulled the book too

WHSmith used to have a listing at http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/ProductDetails--9781903582848.html

Foyles and Waterstones are also refusing to take orders now.

Unhappy

Online?

Anywhere it can be ordered online? I wasn't going to buy it until now.

Alert

Everyone should order a copy from Amazon US

Everyone should order a copy from the US Amazon site where it is listed as "Temporarily out of stock". If they never ship, then it costs you nothing but it looks to them like their decision is costing them money. If enough people order, then it will look like their behavior is costing them a bundle.

http://www.amazon.com/Complex-Insider-Exposes-Covert-Scientology/dp/1903582849

Dead Vulture

SC alert

Am I going to be searched by the Scientology Church just for making a comment?

Yes, I'm that scared about it.

Tom
Silver badge

I was not going to buy this...

But I guess I'll have to pick one up now. Seems not to be listed at Amazon.ca so I'll have to use .com

If they hate it this much it must be worth reading!

Ha ha :)

Customers Who Bought The Complex: An Insider Exposes the Covert World of the Church of Scientology Also Bought ...

V For Vendetta Mask

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UVGLHU/ref=pd_luc_sbs_02_02

Black Helicopters

UK citizens have nobody to blame but their collective selves for this.

Can you blame Amazon.co.uk when the UK has such ridiculously loose libel laws?

I think the UK needs to fix up its ridiculously loose libel laws.

UK citizens have nobody to blame but their collective selves for Amazon's fear.

Their extravagant libel laws of the UK are affecting freedom of speech in the USA, Canada, and elsewhere. This because those written about about by authors or on web sites anywhere in the world launch their libel suits against those authors in the UK if the book or web page is accessible in the UK. In this way the complainant can have the UK's ridiculously loose libel laws apply to authors anywhere.

Sensibly, Amazon doesn't want to be a party to facilitating distributing this book in the UK. Cowardly, but law abiding.

Don't blame Amazon.co.uk for the UK's lack of freedom of speech. Instead write your MP.

Alien

The TRUTH is out there...

Do they really think they will be able to stop, the spread of information and truth from getting out. They just don't get IT!Every move they make just creates more enemies, they are truly on a self destructive course. Their world domination UFO Cult is crashing in around them.

Scientology is a totalitarian political movement disguised as a criminal racket disguised as a cult parading as a religion hiding behind 166+ front groups.

Thumb Up

A loophole

It can still be bought inside Ireland ( http://www.eason.ie/look/9781903582848 ) and shipped abroad.

Alien

HAVE TO BUY IT NOW

Silly Cult

Go

How to buy the book

In my limited experience I've found publishers are happy to sell single copies directly to the public.

If you want to buy the "The Complex: An Insider Exposes the Covert World of the Church of Scientology", here is the publisher's info:

Merlin Publishing

publishing@merlin.ie

phone: +35314535866

fax: +35314535930

Newmarket Hall, Cork Street, Dublin 8, Dublin, Dublin 8

Item number: 5822

http://publishersmarketplace.com/rights/display.cgi?no=5822

I'm of half a mind to buy a copy of the book too. Just to financially support the author and publisher!

More than one way to skin a scientologist

If enough outlets blocked this and I was John Duignan, I would release it as a PDF on the P2P network. Spam enough forums with links and it would start to move.

Thumb Up

First Scientology, then all religion

Keep up the fight, Scientology will die with enough effort and education.

Then we will have the experience and know-how to finish the job, to kill off all religions and end the millenia of destruction they have wrought on mankind.

Alien

@Joe Anon

> Scientology is a totalitarian political movement disguised as a criminal racket disguised as a cult parading as a religion hiding behind 166+ front groups.

Surely you mean over 9000? But yeah, totally.

Anonymous Coward

A title really shouldn't be needed...

and if the 'church' hadn't made such a fuss about this, I wouldn't have just ordered a copy.

Many thanks to Anonymous for letting us know about the www.eason.ie site

Jobs Horns

Scientology is a Cult , now lets see....

How long this stays up ,LOL. Its amazing how many organisations the Cult of Scientologists

have permeated and I wonder if they have got at the Reg yet ?.

Lu
Thumb Up

anybody home?

Scientology a "top secret organisation"? You guys must be kidding or extremely blind. Scientology is really hard to miss, in real life as well as online. And as for the book I applaud Amazon to check with their legal people first before they go and spread "truths" they cannot prove.

Alien

BANNING BOOKS???

What is the deal with Sientenology anyways?

IT Angle

@By Keith T

Dear boy, I would note "write my MP," but rather "write to my MP." I know, I know...

...and by publishing a book, how could Amazon be liable to libel? If that were the case, I'm sure someone else would have taken them to court by now, and, I think the Illuminati, I mean, CoS would have to prove libel, which given their nature for secrecy seems somewhat unlikely. What!

Lovely story though, and, if nothing else, what a marvellous advertising technique.

Alien

Just Bought it thanks!

Just bought it off the Eason site - thanks for the info.

If the silly cults want to ban it, then like others have said, it'll be worth having a look.

I just don't understand how anyone with an ounce of sense can possibly get hooked up with an "religion" invented by a sci-fi writer, and then actually give them money.

There is no mothership you dumb cults!

Alien

@Ken Lord

I don't think Scientology is going to go away but it's possible that with enough oversight and enough pressure it could mutate into a less obviously evil form.

As to freeing ourselves from all religions? I'm not so completely convinced that this would necessarily either achieve much or be a good thing. I'm arguably as atheistic as Dawkins, but... The evil wrought in the name of religion has been wrought by the stupid and unwise, the easily led, animals in human form, and political opportunists; ie the fallible. This accounts for much of the human race; not counting Bertrand Russell and SImon Schama (the cleverest man in Britain; at least by my father's lights).

Just a thought.

Silver badge
Pirate

Disgusting "churh"

But are they not basically all about the same thing, power and money.

No, that is bad thinking and my mean soul. There was a time when the church and all flavours of religion had a very needed and strong inpact on us and our society. But that was then.

And now, if something like Scientology attracts people it only shows that part of us is sliding back down, and that the church has been burocracied, used to easy money and lost its sting.

To day we need the church for awfull things like getting rid of dead people without stumbling and feeling stupid. Priests do it better and the venue is more impressive.

The same goes for weddings and all kinds of state circus happenings.

So there is a lot of room for all kinds of new scum to fill the vacum and collect loose money and pray about power.

I have not read the book, but I do wonder, do thay actually have any other goals than money and the ego of the insiders.

Headhuntig perhaps, Butin, Berluschoni (or what ever), just kidding, I hope.

On the other hand they have some scalps already like the Tomb Cruiser.

Alien

Waterstones

seem to still be accepting orders.

This post has been deleted by its author

Thumb Up

Xenu wouldn't insist on a title

The Co$ is about as evil as they come.

Anything that helps to expose their curse and fakery is welcome.

Since the Co$ shills have given the book the 'must ban' rating, I'm now going to buy the book.

There's really no higher recommendation.

Coat

Bah

It's sad that Amazon lets itself be intimidated by Scientology (lawyers). There are enough books on any type of religion but almost none (critical, that is) on Scientology. It makes you think they have something to hide. But ... a religion that has to stop people from voicing their opinion? Even the really extremist religions allow you to be critical about them (as long as you don't accompany the criticism with pictures of certain prophets) but nothing can touch Scientology?

Mine is the one putting a copy of the book in your jacket.

Thumb Down

@Lu

" Scientology a "top secret organisation"? "

I believe the author is referring to the massively paranoid secrecy practised inside the organisation, i.e. it isn't secret, it's secretive, rather than any notion that nobody has heard of them. Of course, as a "member" of the CoS, you knew that didn't you?

While I'm here, I do wish people would stop referring to it as a religion. It's a money-making con act which uses cult practices to maintain control over its victims.

I just wish the UK would grow a pair and ban it like Germany has.

@Ze Stuart

"...and by publishing a book, how could Amazon be liable to libel?"

IANAL, but UK libel laws allow for action against anyone involved in the chain of spreading the libel. This means that newspapers can't hide behind "close friends said it, we're just reporting what they said".

It also means that the corner shop can be sued for selling a newspaper that contains libel. As they don't tend to have deep pockets they don't tend to get sued that much.

Black Helicopters

Yep, let's order it, make it a best-seller...

...unless, of course, this is a cunning sales stunt.

Still wonder to this day why a sci-fi-based tax-dodge is still taken this seriously by its adherents. I mean, am I right in having gathered that it's basically about alien-being Thetans, trapped in volcanoes by hydrogen bombs? Seriously?

(Also, why hydrogen bombs in particular? What's wrong with basic atomic bombs? Or more hi-spec nuclear / neutron? Is there some kind of specific blast yield that only hydrogen bombs can deliver? Confused.)

Black helicopter because I think black helicopters are cool. No other reason.

Anonymous Coward

Thanks SC!

If you hadn't banned it, I'd never have heard about it!

Thumb Up

Never heard of it....

but will have to buy it now!

Anonymous Coward

Can you blame Amazon.co.uk when the UK has such ridiculously loose libel laws?

Err... A bookshop can't be held responsible for libels in the content of the books.

It's more likely the publisher has come under pressure and has stopped the print run.

>...and by publishing a book, how could Amazon be liable to libel?

It isn't and Amazon doesn't publish the book, they're just a bookshop.

Black Helicopters

Hehe

Just ordered my copy, should be a good read, and then I'll stick it on ebay - or maybe Amazon ;-)

And then go underground.

Used to pass a Scientology tent in central Birmingham every day a couple of years ago when they were on a recruitment drive, and they never gave up trying to get me in 'for a chat'.

No chance, I'm an atheist through and through, and deeply mistrust religion - or, more specifically, anybody actively pushing religion.

Bronze badge
Thumb Down

The Amazon Cult

'fulfilment centres' 'fulfiment networks'? Amazon sounds just like a cult too.

Paris Hilton

Cult of Greed

Only in America, worship of the mighty dollar. Oh, and Xenu.

Check this out for another fascinating insight into the Sea Organisation from a former brainwashing victim:

http://www.villagevoice.com/2008-06-24/news/Scientologys-Crushing-Defeat/

/could even Paris be stupid enough to join these morons?

Sitting on the Lu

@Lu - Amazon can still sell it. If there is libel in it then the author can be sued for that. Anyway, what with your thinly veiled defence of the cult you must be some little monkey working away for the betterment of the cult. Oh, and did I mention it's a cult? It's a cult you know.

Keith T is correct. The libel laws in the UK and the way they can be applied has prevented many books from being published or available.

Black Helicopters

No title

Foyles still accepts orders for this book, they only say 'the delivery time is uncertain' - according to their site most likely one to three weeks. I just ordered and will remind them regularly that delivery is still outstanding ;-)

@Lu - anybody home?

Actually The Cult of Scientology itself is not a top secret organistion, but they might have some inside operations they don't like the general public to know about. But this probably is true for the Catholic Cult or any other ruthless money making machine as well.....

Ash
Joke

Two Words

Streissand Effect.

Stop

Can you smell rotting flesh?

Like any PoS CoS story, this comment board is attracting the Cult Zombies! They're shuffling over like moths to a flame to offer seemingly impartial and balancing opinions; but an obvious lack of the geeky-cleverz gives the game away.

Quick, nail the door and get the shotguns!

"calling scientology a religion is like calling Dunkin' Donuts a restaurant"

Anonymous Coward

Every group gets a bashing

I think they take themselves way too seriously, and they are actually creating a cult like feel to them.

Sure they do some odd things, but it is closer to the masons, and other groups of that ilk, not particularly harmful or even that esoteric, I am sure the masons are a bit more racey.

But, if you go round banning every book that says something non complimentary you generate far more negative press than the books could ever do.

They are odd, but look around most groups are, take synchronised swimming or the girl guides all kinda odd when you think about what they have to do to conform; weird leg movements in some fluid at the same time, and odd shaped toggles - bunch of weirdos the lot of them.

Waterstones

Are accepting orders online with a wait period due to stock (just ordered one, £9.49, c2wks wait) and still have it on the shelves of some stores, so it looks like they're not (yet) following Amazon's lead.

Available in store (at time of checking) at:

Hampstead

Piccadilly

Cardiff

Southampton

Glasgow

Plymouth

Thumb Down

Alert!

Comments are now suspended. Anyone failing to heed this notice will see their budgie meeting a nasty accident.

Flame

Scientology is a cult

Scientology is a cult.

My two cents.

Black Helicopters

waterstones

waterstones just took my order, although maybe the email confirmation will say differently

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/displayProductDetails.do?sku=6307436

Black Helicopters

Religions

Does the Pope care about souls going to Heaven or Hell? Probably in some sense.

Does the Archbishop of Canterbury care about souls living good lives? Certainly

Does the Dalai Lama want souls to achieve enlightenment? Presumably

Did Jones actually believe in "Revolutionary Suicide"? Would appear so

Does Claude Vorilhon aka Raël really believe he met an alien named Yahweh in 1973? Yes, poor guy,

Do David Miscavige and his handlers and senior cronies believe anything about Scientology other than it being a bloody good con that they're not about to give up? You're kidding, right.

Anonymous Coward

Simple solution to scientology

Stop making religious organisations tax free!!

I'm not sure if they have actually achieved the status yet, but even if they are, being a religion is not excuse for not having to pay tax.

Alien

Pah

Scientologists? Pah... Blaintology is where its at

Black Helicopters

Poink

I have nothing to add, except to those who might want a copy.

Try Blackwells

<I can hear Travolta and Cruise in the approaching 'copters...>

jon

no go with the publisher

I just called the publisher to try and order a copy, but they will not supply the book to the UK

Joke

Hypocrisy Anyone?

Am I the only one to notice how many people are lambasting Amazon for not standing up to the Scientologists, yet they seem unable to post their names to go along with their comments?

I happily await the arrival of my copy (please don't let me down Waterstones - I'm a new customer!).

For those of you new to these debates about Scientology and it's beliefs, the best source of education is of course South Park - the "Trapped In The Closet" episode. It's out there on the Interoogle and is funny on several levels. There's also a South Park "Blainetology" expose, but that is just a fantasy religion based on the imagination of a crazy outsider for his own profit, whereas Scientology on the other hand, err......

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.