Feeds

back to article Unisys, SGI - canaries in the coal mines

While tier one server makers IBM and Sun Microsystems have reported their financial results in recent weeks, and Hewlett-Packard is getting set to do so in two weeks, there are other players in the server space. In some ways, they're canaries in the server coal mines. Niche and boutique vendors sometimes feel the pinch first, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Paris Hilton

Quite right too...

Having had the immense (dis)pleasure of working for Unisys and suffering under its draconic employee performance targets and its fascist management methods, I for one will shed no tears should they lose a little market value.

Diddums!

Paris - Because she could do a better job of running a company.

Silver badge

Shame about SGI

They used to be cutting edge innovators in the graphics world - I remember them visiting my uni in back in 91 and giving a demo of some military spec system which had shading, texture mapping and lots of other goodies which I personally didn't see bettered in the consumer market until almost 10 years later. These days however SGI seems to be little more than another Intel box shifter, trailing behind Nvidia and ATi in the graphics market and making little impact in the general server market. I'd be sad but not surprised if it didn't last very much longer - either going out of business or being bought out for whatever useful intellectual property it has left.

This topic is closed for new posts.