back to article Sacking suspected ageist not ageism, EAT rules

If an employer dismisses an employee on suspicion of age discrimination, that in itself is not age discrimination, an Employment Appeals Tribunal (EAT) has ruled. A front-of-house manager at the Bristol Hippodrome Theatre was dismissed and won his case for unfair dismissal because statutory dismissal procedures had not been …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

(untitled)

Surely, regardless as to whether he found it difficult to be managed by younger females or not, the crux should be was he coping adequately. Or are we all subject to dismissal simply because we are unhappy with what is imposed on us. Are we obliged to be happy with everything on fear of dismissal ? Should we all be "yes men/women" ?

Comes dangerously close to thought policing, as far as I can tell. Either that, or dangerously close to finding a lame excuse to give someone the push.

2. Alan Fisher
    Dead Vulture

I'm just waiting for

Rob Grant to be proven right and for tribunals for "Competence Descrimination" to start going on....

" where no-one can be "prejudiced from employment for reason of age, race, creed or incompitence [sic]".

it's coming....just you wiat [sic]!!!

political correctness gone maaaaaaad!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re; (untitled)

>Are we obliged to be happy with everything on fear of dismissal ?

No. But there are some males of a certain age that will be actively stubborn if they have to take orders from a younger person, a female or a combination of the two. This goes beyond being unhappy. On the surface this might appear to be age discriminatin but it is no different from firing someone who won't work with a person of another colour / race. The employer wouldn't be considered racist fotr firing such a person, in the same way that this emplyer shouldn't be considered ageist.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

some people do abuse their age

I work with someone who shouldn't be employed - at all!

Rude, abrasive, racist, sexist, frequently drunk in the office. however, as they are near retirement age, the company won't get rid of them no matter what. as they don't want to have to go through all of this.

5. Sir Runcible Spoon
    Coat

le tit

is it just me or is this really confusing?

I'm in the middle of configuring a dozen firewall clusters with all sorts of VPN, NAT and routing requirements which seems too easy by comparison.

Perhaps it's just the way the article is worded or the way my brain works.

Mine's the one with the pocket-browser pointed at confused.com in the pocket.

6. Andy Barber
    Thumb Up

@ Chris W Re: (untitled)

Couldn't agree with you more! (And I'm an ex-Trade Union Officer!)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

@sir

No, it's not you. It made my brain go all twirly and I had to have a little lie down.

8. Schultz
    Happy

There is a lesson in there:

Don't get old!

<Herbal Medicine - The Perfect Solution to Stay Young and Beautiful>

<Anti-Aging und Präventive Medizin>

<Stay Young with Tai Chi>

<8 Weeks to a Younger Body>

Come on, you know you want it!

This topic is closed for new posts.