I think you mean "foxit"
rather than "fixit".
"affects older versions"
Does this include Acrobat 5, the one I use, because it's free of the major bloat in subsequent versions? Acrobat 5 reads everything it's ever needed to, despite the very occasional warnings about "files newer than your version"????
Acrobat reader alternative?
I agree with AC's comments on Acrobat Reader bloat. I'm also sick of getting pop-up reminders about updates every time I open a PDF (and that's with a recent version of the program). Fair enough, it's good to know that they're offering updates to improve security, but as far as I know it's not possible to set the program to check for updates only once a month or so. I'm going to give an alternative - PDF Xchange Viewer a try.
...Be happy. Get rid of Adobe Reader and get Foxit Reader. Free, works beautifully, lasts a long time. Well, for Windows.
Core security Vulnerability Advisory
Here's a link to the actual Core Security vulnerability advisory on the CoreLabs homepage: http://www.coresecurity.com/content/adobe-reader-buffer-overflow .
- Mounties always get their man: Heartbleed 'hacker', 19, CUFFED
- Batten down the hatches, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS due in TWO DAYS
- Samsung Galaxy S5 fingerprint scanner hacked in just 4 DAYS
- Feast your PUNY eyes on highest resolution phone display EVER
- AMD demos 'Berlin' Opteron, world's first heterogeneous system architecture server chip