No new platform is ever free of flaws (nor mature ones for that matter).
It is good to see that Google is working with the researchers to release patches in a timely manner (how quickly the cellco pushes them out to end users is an entirely different issue).
This is a contrast from how Apple seems to deal with flaws:
- refuse to work with the security researcher reporting the issue
- refuse to confirm the existence of any flaws (when the media inevitably learns of it)
- refuse to notify users of any work arounds / precautions they can take to protect themselves
- eventually include a patch for part of the flaw in a larger firmware update with some innocuous sounding description to hide the real seriousness of the flaw
- continue refusing to confirm the existence of any remaining flaws
- quietly patch the rest of the flaw at some later stage