back to article David Tennant quits Who

David Tennant will step down as Doctor Who when he's completed filming on the four special episodes slated to hit the small screen in 2009-2010, the BBC has confirmed. Tennant will also appear in this year's Who Xmas special - entitled The Next Doctor - before handing over the keys to the Tardis to a new resident for Series 5 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Marc Lawrence
    Dead Vulture

David Who?

David Who?

He exits as Tennant of lost BBC corporation

The logo looks like REG should be relabled BBC

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Russell Brand for the next Doctor

With a male sidekick for a change... Who's free, oh yes, Ross.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

That is all.

4. Jay
    Unhappy

Bugger

Pity I was looking forward to the new series with Moffatt's writing and no sodding Catherine (Not Funny) Tate.

So now we get the long, drawn out saga of who is going to be the next Dr Who. Only rivaled by the same process for who will be the next James Bond.

5. dervheid

Well, I suppose recent 'events'...

have rather slimmed down Russell Brand's chances then!

6. Martin Bjelk
    Coat

Hugh Laurie...

Would that be Dr Whouse, then?

The lab coat, please.

7. Elmer Phud
    Go

New Doctor

I reckon it should be Catherine Tate as the new Doctor.

If the technology is that far advanced then regeneration as a female should be a normal occurrence. Tate is now a seasoned Who character and there's no knowing what she and the Doc have got up to - or any assistant for that matter.

Nah, not Rose 'Because I Want To' Tyler, too obvious, too much pandering to the 'any female assistant has to be fuckable' lads mag commentators.

(yes, you do hear the sounds of goats and a 'ricketty-racketty bridge'. fodder for the Twat-O Tron folks)

8. Iain

Confused of Tunbridge Wells

David Tennant quits The Who, Robert Plant quits Eastenders, the BBC is proper going down the pan this time hell in a handbasket daily mail david cameron?

9. Lloyd
    Go

Arse

But at least Tate is never going to darken the Tardis door again and Moffat's directing/producing, as long as they get someone halfway decent I don't have a problem.

10. Pat

Who's Who?

Felicity Kendal for the new doctor! That's what I heard.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Next Doctor

Yep, another vote for Johnnie Walker and Sally Traffic here.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Someone short.

I mean really short. Imagine a running joke of the Doctor getting in trouble cos he can't reach a high shelf. That way he'll keep getting caught.

13. caffeine addict

Not a Dr Who fan, but...

I thought there was some rule that Dr Who could only regenerate 9 times. Doesn't that make Tennant the last Who ever? So we'll have some awful twin brother stepping out of the shower to find it was all a dream in an alternate reality scenario, yes?

14. Blitheringeejit

Who's next?

Can they afford Maggie Smith?

Or if it has to be a bloke, how about Benjamin Zephania?

Sarah Jane, for my lost youth...

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Any votes for..........

Ralph Fiennes - make a top Dr who.

16. Mark York
    Flame

caffeine addict

Time lords have 13 lives, from 12 regenerations.

Flame due to the firey phoenix style of regenerations from the new series.

17. Neil Greatorex

My money is on

Rupert whatshisface from Spooks :-)

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The rumour mill has spoken

Lots of people are speculating Patterson Joseph.

He can clearly do it, check the Neverwhere videos on Youtube for proof.

19. Michael Chester
    Paris Hilton

@caffeine addict

Time lords have 12 regenerations, however there is precedent for them getting more (the master in the old series, and umm.... the master in the latest series). Plus we still have his daughter out there somewhere if they do eventually run out (possibly kill her off and have her regenerate into someone who would be less annnoyign as a main character)

Paris for the next Doctor!

20. Dark Horse

Dr Who's daughter?

Oooh.. what about the lass from the episode where she was Dr Who's daughter? Can she take over the reigns? I'd enjoy that!

21. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@Mark York

Unless plot dictates otherwise (see... well, just about any story with the Master in it).

If they're choosing new actors for the roll, how about Tom Baker, the voiceover guy off Little Britain? Good voice, and I've got a feeling that he'd make a good Doctor.

22. Keith Glass
    Happy

Here's a concept:

Combine two great British Traditions: Doctor Who, and the Page 3 girl. Of course, the Sonic Screwdriver will now need attachments. . .

23. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Dr Who's daughter?

Reins. REINS. You'd think someone called Dark Horse would know. Tsk.

Laurence Fox. Or Tobias whassisface, you know, he was in Rome.

24. Anonymous John

How about Alex Kingston?

Her appearance in the last series left a lot of loose ends.

25. drunk.smile

I like the suggestion of Paterson Joseph

Although only because I have nostalgia for his role in Neverwhere (Great tv show).

I sadly fear that Russel T Davies will have a hand in the end of Tennants doctor so it's likely that 'the Doctor's Daughter' will come in and fill the role when this current doctor dies. (Kinda like Saw II - yep shite).

My vote still stands as it did last time with Eddie Izzard for doctor.

26. Matt Underwood

Thank god for that.

Well, since they've already trashed the Doctor Who brand, taking it from Cult Sci-fi and making it a Saturday night family special with 2 comedy guests per episode (oh, look the bad guy this week is Ainsley Harriot mummy), why not go the whole hog and have a guest Doctor each week too.

You could get the current load of easily pleased 'Who fans creaming by engineering ridiculous plots where Billy Piper is the doctor for a bit, and Tennant comes back as a space alien Santa for a christmas special.

27. William Towle
    Alien

Re: caffeine addict

caffeine addict> "I thought there was some rule that Dr Who could only regenerate 9 times. Doesn't that make Tennant the last Who ever?"

Mark York> "Time lords have 13 lives, from 12 regenerations."

...and in "The Deadly Assassin", the Master reaches this last life - yet he's been hanging about in various incarnations ever since. Even in the Canon nothing is written in stone, it would seem.

I can only suggest "watch this space".

28. Sam
    Coat

Don't be too sure

..About Tate coming back, and she wasn't as bad as I thought she was going to be.

She kept saying "I'm Donna Noble, I'm a temp."

Donna=Lady

Temp=Time

Noble=Lord

The anorak, ta.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Replacement

How about Marc Warren, he'd be great as the new Who

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@The Master's later incarnations

I don't think that mind-raping people and stealing their bodies is really the Doctor's style. Although it does provide canon evidence of how the regeneration limit can be bypassed.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re: how about Benjamin Zephania?

Now that would be a fine choice.

32. Why
    Go

Thank god for that.

Finally.

enough said.

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Paterson Joseph

I hope it's not Paterson, given the total lack of subtlety the show has shown when dealing with gay characters (look everyone, here's another gay character, aren't we progressive!) I suspect we'll be hit over the head every week as the writers attempt to prove how politically correct they all are.

34. ShaggyDoggy

The return of

Can we please have TOM BAKER back

Thanks

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

who cares who's who

Just DON'T LET RTD WRITE THE REGENERATION EPISODE!

36. Keiron
    Thumb Up

And the next doctor is...

Russell Brand, thats why all this fuss has been kicked up just prior to the current doc saying hes stepping down, its true i tell ya, its all true, says so on t'interweb!

37. James Hughes

Cult SciFi?

>>>Well, since they've already trashed the Doctor Who brand, taking it from Cult Sci-fi and making it a Saturday night family special with 2 comedy guests per episode (oh, look the bad guy this week

is Ainsley Harriot mummy), why not go the whole hog and have a guest Doctor each week too.

<<

Er, If I remember my yoof correctly, it started out as a 'Saturday night family special' - cannot comment on comedy guests, too busy hiding behind the sofa.

38. Tom

The Doctor's lives

Yes, it is 13 lives from 3 regenerations. But the Beeb has also written themselves into a corner from when they were desperately trying whatever it took to kill the original series. In the Colin Baker episode/season Trial of a Time Lord, they established that the 13th Doctor was evil. So if they stick to the established regenerations/time lord timeline elements, they don't have many regens left.

39. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Political Correctness

See, this is why I hope it is Patterson. Not only is he black and thus able to shut up the PC brigade, but he is actually able to do the role justice.

Don't worry, we won't be getting the gay of the week theme anymore, RTD is leaving.

40. Dogbyte

Ricky Tomlinson

"Daleks my arse!"

(Though Eddie Izzard would be good too)

41. Andrew Cooper
    Boffin

The Master's return

> Even in the Canon nothing is written in stone

Doesn't he mentions something wishy-washy-vague about how "the timelords resurected him to fight in the Time War" and about how they thought he'd be "the perfect soldier"?

That turned out well, didn't it?

42. Peter

Can we have...

...Eddie Izzard.

Could be a good transition to a female Doctor!

43. Mal Franks

Ben Miller or Alexander Armstrong

As they seems to be in everything else these days

44. Paul Lee
    Thumb Down

A new era, thank God

Now with Tennant and Davies going, we will at last hopefully NOT have important plot explanations delivered at break-neck speed and buried in techno babble. The otherwise high production values and glitzy eye candy may keep the kiddies happy but this DOES not make for good TV. Oh, and get rid of that bleedin' sonic screwdriver. It seems everytime the Doc is in trouble, he whips it out (ooer etc.) and manages to fill a plot hole, or escape from a situation in seconds. Terrible writing.

45. Anonymous John

I liked today's Matt cartoon.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/

46. Eddie Edwards
    Thumb Down

Oh noes

Tennant *was* the doctor, in the same way that Baker *was* the doctor.

The next one will be the Peter Davison of our era.

So he should clearly be taken from a popular prime-time series about vets.

Is there one?

47. Graham Cluley
    Alien

After all, that's how it all started...

It's time to go back to basics with Doctor Who.

When the show started in 1963 it starred a doddery old white-haired man and his granddaughter as his assistant.

Andrew Sachs, anyone?

48. Stevie

New Doctor

Good. I was getting tired of Tennant's "Black Sabbaff" school of acting - if the dialogue's naff, turn up the volume at which you deliver it.

Can we have a companion wot don't drop er haiches annorl? S'gerrin old.

49. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mandelson?

He'll probably need a new job in a few weeks.

50. Joe M
    Stop

They should shut the whole thing down!

I loved Dr Who ever since episode one, which I got to see sometime in the mid sixties. But even a timelord must eventually die and I think this is as good a time for the funeral as any.

The thing is now a total bore! It's basically just a collection of pointless PC vignettes glued together with some breathless special effects and a cacophonous soundtrack which is designed to blow even a Sontaran's impervious brain to smithereens. There is no attempt at acting. The characters just scream at each other hysterically and the good Doctor spends most of his time pulling funny faces and running around aimlessly.

Vale the Doctor. I will miss him greatly.

Disclaimer: These comments are only valid when read by a Terran. (I don't particularly feel like being blasted into a time vortex!)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.