Cloud computing means a lot of things to a lot of people these days, but if this catch-phrase-of-the-moment has one goal, it's to make huge numbers of independent servers and related storage to support millions of users in such a way that they neither know nor care about how the underlying iron and its software stack is …
Evil Empire on the defensive?
Dell looks close to collapse, which would be more bad news for Microsoft's image. (3 months ago: net tangible assets zero and falling; accounts payable more than 3 months sales; 6 weeks ago: falling demand warning). Notice how this is announced one day before Dell's quarter end? I wonder if there's been a linked financial transaction to save Dell's numbers for the quarter with some Microsoft assisted cash/receivables smoke and mirrors.
Originally an OSS designed product..
The new Dell Data Center Solutions "Cloud" server looks very similar to a project that Open Source Systems was working on before they went under. It was a brilliant idea, and I'm glad to see that someone was able to take their design mainstream! (Somewhat). It looks like the team at OSS was ahead of their time!
Original OSS Design:
- JLaw, Kate Upton exposed in celeb nude pics hack
- Google flushes out users of old browsers by serving up CLUNKY, AGED version of search
- GCHQ protesters stick it to British spooks ... by drinking urine
- China: You, Microsoft. Office-Windows 'compatibility'. You have 20 days to explain
- Something for the Weekend, Sir? If you think 3D printing is just firing blanks, just you wait