back to article Carmack's rocket wins $350,000 in mock moon mission

John Carmack, creator of the childhood-innocence-purging video games Doom and Quake, has finally lead his team of rocketeers at Armadillo Aerospace to victory in the annual Northrop Grumman Lunar Landing challenge. In its third year of participation, Armadillo Aerospace has snagged $350,000 in prize money for winning Level One …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Del Merritt
    Unhappy

no flash?

Hmm. Usually my Firefox sees images and videos on El Reg. But not these. I do have the latest Adobe blehware installed on my CentOS 5 system, and teh latest Firefox too.

I am sad.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

This refuelling bit..

are there gas stations on the Moon already? If so, firstly, why have we not been told this before, and secondly, how much are they charging for a gallon?

3. Bronek Kozicki
    Thumb Up

I'm blown away

this was absolutely great.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

This gives you an idea...

...how f*cking awesome it was to do this in the *1960s* with the design technology and fabrication technology available at the time.

It was interesting to see the difference between Carmack's team and the other one - it was obvious from the start that the second team's system was insanely unstable whereas Armadillo's control was really solid. Impressive!

5. Jims

I'm just waiting for

The Sun to reedit this video and use it in their series of stories of UFO sightings over the UK

6. Dave The Cardboard Box
    Happy

Nice place for the competition

400 metres from power pylons. It doesn't take a rocket scientist.....

7. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

a travesty

It just occurred to me that it's a horrible blown opportunity for Carmack not to have named his space company "United Aerospace Corporation" ... Hell, the logo's already done!

8. Schultz
    Flame

Playing with fire

Doesn't Carmack realize the dangers of space travel? Zipping around between the planets, they'll eventually attract the attention of demons in other dimensions and we can only pray that some brave marine will take them out in time ...

9. Daniel B.
    Coat

UAC

Would someone explain to me why his company *isn't* called Union Aerospace Corporation???

Then again, those Phobos and Deimos bases might not get funding if they were going with that name. Anyway, they won't get into any trouble ... as long as they stay away from mysterious teleporters.

Mine's the one with the BFG 9000

This topic is closed for new posts.