Panasonic will show off its latest developments in Direct Methanol Fuel Cells (DMFC) this week. The highlight is a power pack capable of delivering a charge continuously for 20 hours. Panasonic_DMFC_01 Panasonic's DMFC: can power laptops for up to 20 hours The fuel cell achieves this on just 200cc of methanol, Panasonic said …
"weight" of methanol
Roughly 0.8grams per cc
"Laptop-friendly" and "10 to 20W power".
You're kidding, right? That's surely no-where near enough power to supply most traditionally sized laptops.
Methanol: Density 0.7918 g/cm³, liquid*
So about 160g reducing to 0g over time.....
*Wiki Disclamer: accuracy may go up aswell as down.
200 ml of methanol.
That means that with methanol having an upper band price of about $4.25 per US gallon, this will cost 22 cents to run, however, if it really gives only 10 to 20 W what's the viability?
Still using methanol in this way is probably better than drinkinbg the stuff!
- +Analysis Microsoft: We're making ONE TRUE WINDOWS to rule us all
- Apple: We'll unleash OS X Yosemite beta on the MASSES on 24 July
- Pics It's Google HQ - the British one: Reg man snaps covert shots INSIDE London offices
- White? Male? You work in tech? Let us guess ... Twitter? We KNEW it!
- Apple fanbois SCREAM as update BRICKS their Macbook Airs