Panasonic will show off its latest developments in Direct Methanol Fuel Cells (DMFC) this week. The highlight is a power pack capable of delivering a charge continuously for 20 hours. Panasonic_DMFC_01 Panasonic's DMFC: can power laptops for up to 20 hours The fuel cell achieves this on just 200cc of methanol, Panasonic said …
"weight" of methanol
Roughly 0.8grams per cc
"Laptop-friendly" and "10 to 20W power".
You're kidding, right? That's surely no-where near enough power to supply most traditionally sized laptops.
Methanol: Density 0.7918 g/cm³, liquid*
So about 160g reducing to 0g over time.....
*Wiki Disclamer: accuracy may go up aswell as down.
200 ml of methanol.
That means that with methanol having an upper band price of about $4.25 per US gallon, this will cost 22 cents to run, however, if it really gives only 10 to 20 W what's the viability?
Still using methanol in this way is probably better than drinkinbg the stuff!
- Product round-up Coming clean: Ten cordless vacuum cleaners
- Product round-up Too 4K-ing expensive? Five full HD laptops for work and play
- 'Regin': The 'New Stuxnet' spook-grade SOFTWARE WEAPON described
- Worstall @ the Weekend BIG FAT Lies: Porky Pies about obesity
- 'Snoopers' Charter IS DEAD', Lib Dems claim as party waves through IP address-matching