Panasonic will show off its latest developments in Direct Methanol Fuel Cells (DMFC) this week. The highlight is a power pack capable of delivering a charge continuously for 20 hours. Panasonic_DMFC_01 Panasonic's DMFC: can power laptops for up to 20 hours The fuel cell achieves this on just 200cc of methanol, Panasonic said …
"weight" of methanol
Roughly 0.8grams per cc
"Laptop-friendly" and "10 to 20W power".
You're kidding, right? That's surely no-where near enough power to supply most traditionally sized laptops.
Methanol: Density 0.7918 g/cm³, liquid*
So about 160g reducing to 0g over time.....
*Wiki Disclamer: accuracy may go up aswell as down.
200 ml of methanol.
That means that with methanol having an upper band price of about $4.25 per US gallon, this will cost 22 cents to run, however, if it really gives only 10 to 20 W what's the viability?
Still using methanol in this way is probably better than drinkinbg the stuff!
- HALF A BILLION TERRORISTS: WhatsApp encrypts ALL its worldwide jabber
- HUMAN DNA 'will be FOUND ON MOON' – rocking boffin Brian Cox
- Bang! You're dead. Who gets your email, iTunes and Facebook?
- YOU are the threat: True confessions of real-life sysadmins
- Blackpool hotel 'fines' couple £100 for crap TripAdvisor review