Panasonic will show off its latest developments in Direct Methanol Fuel Cells (DMFC) this week. The highlight is a power pack capable of delivering a charge continuously for 20 hours. Panasonic_DMFC_01 Panasonic's DMFC: can power laptops for up to 20 hours The fuel cell achieves this on just 200cc of methanol, Panasonic said …
"weight" of methanol
Roughly 0.8grams per cc
"Laptop-friendly" and "10 to 20W power".
You're kidding, right? That's surely no-where near enough power to supply most traditionally sized laptops.
Methanol: Density 0.7918 g/cm³, liquid*
So about 160g reducing to 0g over time.....
*Wiki Disclamer: accuracy may go up aswell as down.
200 ml of methanol.
That means that with methanol having an upper band price of about $4.25 per US gallon, this will cost 22 cents to run, however, if it really gives only 10 to 20 W what's the viability?
Still using methanol in this way is probably better than drinkinbg the stuff!
- DINO-SLAYER asteroid SAUR-O-CIDE was terrible bad luck, say boffins
- BEST BATTERY EVER: All lithium, all the time, plus a dash of carbon nano-stuff
- Stick a 4K in them: Super high-res TVs are DONE
- Review You didn't get the MeMO? Asus Pad 7 Android tab is ... not bad
- Russia: There is a SPACECRAFT full of LIZARDS in orbit above Earth and WE control it