back to article Sharp to ship 'world's first' Blu-ray recording TV

Sharp has taken the wraps off its latest range of Aquos tellies, which, it claims, are the world’s first LCD TVs to feature integrated Blu-ray Disc recorders. Bluray_Sharp Sharp's BD-R Acquos Sharp's Blu-ray recorder TVs will ship next month Each of the 16 new models work with BD-RE 2.1 single- and dual-layer discs, in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Michael Ross

Why?

So what do you do with the disk after you've recorded it? Take it out and play it in a blu-ray player? Why would you do that when you've got a player built into the TV? What's wrong with a HDD recorder? Bound to be more reliable.

2. Chris Wood

re: Why?

I'm sure the embedded recorder works as a player too. I guess you could record something and give it to your mate.

I wonder if this gets around the encryption that Sky uses, since you would be recording what the TV is displaying rather than some output from the Sky box itself? Do they even still scramble the output from the Sky box?

3. Monkey

Because...

...It's a win/win for Sharp. Putting aside the rabid polarised views on BR for the moment, Sharp are one of the original members of the Blu-Ray consortium so have a vested interest in pushing a product they have put money into. And it will also encourage people to buy Sharp HD panels. It helps remove the consumer barrier for BR that "I can't justify buying another fancy DVD player".

It's got little, if nothing, to do with the BR recording side of things and virtually everything to do with BR playback.

This topic is closed for new posts.