back to article Portsmouth seeks ISP - no net access required

We're sure that UK councils' equal opps policies do a great deal to ensure that absolutely everyone gets a fair crack of the whip when it comes to applying for jobs or tendering for those juicy service contracts, but there are surely occasions when it is entirely justifiable to discriminate against those who do not have the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. alain williams Silver badge
    Coat

What if no 'phone

I mean ... not everyone has one of those new fangled ringing things, they don't give a postal address that one can write to with your quill ...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

No Net Access?

AOL and Tiscali will have to ring in then......

Mines the one with the 1200/75 modem in the pocket (for those who remember Prestel)

3. Ed

Oh Dear

MWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

4. Paul Berry
    Stop

Always read the boilerplate

And remove if it doesn't apply. Are they recruiting for proofreaders as well? They should, etc...

5. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Pirate

Wheres that ballot paper?

I live in the city and its time to vote out those idiots

From an old Portsmouth city council job advert:

"Trainee IT systems maintance person needed, ideal for school leaver, must have 2 - 5 years previous experience of running IT infrastructure" !

6. Neil Hoskins
    Thumb Up

Broken

Duly forwarded to the "This Is Broken" Flickr group.

7. Cherry Black
    Happy

@Boris the Cockroach

Is that job still open?

Sounds ideal for me, I've left school AND I have experience!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

www.portsmouth.gov.uk and email.address@portsmouthcc.gov.uk

Hopefully the new ISP will *add* support for Portsmouth Council email addresses ending in just @portsmouth.gov.uk as well as @portsmouthcc.gov.uk as is the case now.

What an idiot whoever it was who decided upon adding the cc (stands for City Council) bit to the email address domain! Totally unnecessary - we all know that portsmouth.gov.uk = Portsmouth City Council - there's no other local government in Portsmouth is there?!

9. Trevor Watt

Why would you need net access as a qualification?

Since when has not being suitably qualified stopped someone getting a juicy council job? Take Boris for example.......

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

European Regulations are to Blame!

Article 13199 of the Pan-European Constitution says “No person shall be prejudiced from employment in any capacity, at any level, by reason of age, race, creed or incompitence.”

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incompetence_(book))

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Quill?

I just made a fire, and used a blanket, hopefully they will be responding to the smoke signals any time soon.

If not I have a couple of cans and an awfully long piece of string.

12. JimC
    Stop

Totally Unecessary CC

> What an idiot whoever it was who decided upon adding the cc (stands for City Council) bit to

> the email address domain! Totally unnecessary - we all know that portsmouth.gov.uk =

> Portsmouth City Council - there's no other local government in Portsmouth is there?!

Well, as the idiot who decided that there should be a cc, (standing for County Council) on the end of my employers domain (back in the 1994 when these things were arraged by emails between a techie at the cc and a techie at ja.net) the logic behind it in our case was that there are more gov.uk type organisations in any area than just the council, (no nhs.uk in those days for instance, just co, edu org and gov as I remember) and with the wonders of local government reorganisations there might yet be more, so it made sense to be specific for the sake of 2 characters...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Mind Power

Cans?? String???

That seems awfully mundane!!

I am applying telepathicly!!!!

Now quoting wikipedia and expecting to be taken seriously, THAT is far out................

Mines the coat with the signalling mirror in the pocket.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Go

@Totally Unecessary CC

Bristol used to be bristol-city.gov.uk (hmm, surely should have been bristol-city-and-county.gov.uk!) ... unless you wanted info about schools in which case you needed the cryptic bristol-cyps.org.uk (its "children and young persons services" of course ...and for good measure its *.org.uk* and not *.gov.uk*)

Anyway they seem to have managed to introduce bristol.gov.uk ... but think that's just a portal to the underlying subdomain

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like