back to article Dennis Hopper joins French Legion of Honour

Dennis Hopper today joined other luminaries from the world of entertainment including Lord Olivier, Clint Eastwood and, ahem, Celine Dion in the ranks of France's Légion d'honneur, the BBC reports. Hopper, 72, was honoured with the rank of commandeur at a ceremony in Paris, which will until 19 January celebrate his life's work …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

The Ld'H became worthless a long time ago.

I'm only surprised that they haven't yet awarded it to my cat.

2. Lloyd
    Alien

How does one join Le Légion d'honneur

Presumably you apply, they fob you off for a month and then surrender and give you the award immediately to turn around afterwards and say that they weren't involved with you receiving the award and in fact were part of a movement resisting it's being given?

3. Nicholas Ettel
    Paris Hilton

Paris

Certainly Paris should also be a part of this prestigious clubhouse... for obvious reasons.

4. twelvebore
    Coat

Double take

Why did I read that as "Dennis Hopper joins the French Foreign Legion"?!

5. Sam

Now, now....

Let's not attack the French when they're not here to defend themselves...mind you, we all know how fucking good they are at that, don't we?

6. Frank
    Thumb Up

@twelvebore re. Double take

Me too, I think it's the words 'French' and 'Legion' being close together.

As a sidenote, the good thing about Waterworld was that Dennis Hopper knew it was silly. You could tell that in every aspect of his acting. I found that strangely reassuring, like meeting someone who shares an opinion, one that you're afraid to say out loud in a crowded cinema.

7. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Dead Vulture

Hmmm.....people attacking the French as people prone to surrender...

I gather the US "election" process is in full swing and important issues are being vigorously discussed?

"Reg" tombstone as there is no "Democracy" tombstone. The money must have been used in the bailout.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@twelvebore

Nope you weren't the only one, I made the same mental connection in my mind.

9. AngrySup
    Coat

But it IS Dennis Hopper

I happen to like this guy's work. Maybe not to this level, but hey, what the heck? Easy Rider and Blue Velvet were key points in my life. Now, if you'll just hand me the ether...

10. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Another actor

There are five levels of commendation with the Légion d'Honneur, they are Knight, Officer, Commander, Grand Officer and Grand Croix.

Of the military who have given their lives in the course of their duty and who have been rewarded posthumously, most of the time if it was a grunt he got Knight, and if was an officer he would get Officer.

Being commended as Commander or Grand Officer hasn't happened in a long time.

It frankly bugs me that an actor gets a bigger commendation than a soldier who has laid his life down under orders.

Granted, there aren't that many any more and that is even a good thing, but really. If you do extend the once-renowned badge of military honor to people who have zero military merit, could you at least leave them as simple Knight.

11. Kane
    Coat

Let's not forget..

...Mr Hopper's outstanding performance in Super Mario Bros as King Koopa. Surely that went some way to counting towards this great honour?

Didn't it?

No?

Mine's the one with the green turtle shell in the pocket...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like