back to article Phishers adapt old scams to exploit bank turmoil

Scammers are exploiting meltdown in the banking sector in an attempt to trick users into handing over sensitive financial information. Phishing emails commonly pose as security checks from a prospective mark's bank. The latest generation of the scam imitates communiques about bank mergers. US consumer watchdog the Federal …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Aortic Aneurysm

Anyone

Most emails come from email addresses like : "thisisdodgy@imstealingyourdetails.com" - yet people still fall for it. I have no sympathy anymore for those that do fall for it.

2. Paul Naylor
    Thumb Down

HSBC

I'm getting at least two or three emails a day asking for security updates and these are "from" HSBC. Pain in the arse. Sometimes, for a larff, I go to these URLs and enter junk in the fields (usually stuff along the lines of f**ck of you phishing wank*r), but it's just unfortunate that some still for it.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"Phishing emails commonly pose as security checks from a prospective mark's bank"

No they don't. They come as checks from PayPunk, Bank of Merkins or Merkin Express, establishments in which I have no business at all, making it all the easier to just trash the stuff.

4. A J Stiles
    Dead Vulture

No Sympathy

I have no sympathy for anyone who has lost money to a phishing scam. What do people imagine that "We will never contact you via the Internet" in their bank's terms and conditions means?

Does anyone know if British workers still have the legal right to insist on payment in cash? I sometimes wonder whether I might not be better off without a bank account. .....

5. RogueElement
    Happy

Shouldn't this scam lark be reported the other way around?

The banks have been telling us that they have got GAZZILIONZ of UKPoundsSterling for us to use but the moment someone turns up and says, ok then, lend us a fiver the response is, "OMG - it's not as easy as that, first you have to invest in us, and we take a cut, and then we take a bonus cut, and then we take a holiday in the Seychelles and a couple of acres in Florida... then you have to send us a couple of monkeys to facilitate the transfer, and a couple more to buy a nice suitcase to put it in, and perhaps cover the cost of a hotel whilst we wire the money to you and can you throw in this gourd?"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like