Feeds

back to article I'm very sorry, says gay health warning clergyman

The chaplain to the London Stock Exchange has offered a "full and complete" apology for suggesting on his blog that gay men should carry tattooed health warnings. The Rev Peter Mullen, who's also rector of St Sepulchre without Newgate and St Michael's Cornhill, caused a bit of rumpus by declaring: "It is time that religious …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Joke

"faces disciplinary procedures"

Ironically enough, he's buggered!

Coat

Let he who is without sin

Considering the Clergys documented involvement with alterboys, prehaps they should all get tattoos as well

For the hard-of-thinking...

My point is that bigots like this peice of pond-scum claim to be OK with individual "sinners", but claim that anyone who simply admits in public to being gay is "promoting" the gay "lifestyle".

He makes it sound as if he's against the mythical gay kidnap-and-brainwash-your-kids brigade, when he really just wishes that gays go away entirely because they make him uneasy.

Paris Hilton

"Promoters of gay culture"

How on earth can you 'promote' gay culture? You're either gay or you're not. It's not a lifestyle choice and the sooner people like Rev Mullen realise that, the better.

Paris because, oh, figure it out for yourselves...

Paris Hilton

Well.....

Personally can't see what the problem is. If I'm going to sleep with a man I'd like to know if he was gay or not. Euw, gay men. Not my cup of tea. Now give me a straight one any day of the week. Just don't tell the wife.....

Paris, as even she's got more sense than to make idiotic plank boy comments like that.

Alien

Tats for the religious too?

Fine, I am A-OK with these kind of warnings, but we must be fair about it.

WARNING - RELIGION KILLS

WARNING - RELGION PROMOTES HATRED FEAR AND MURDER

So much for 'love they neighbour'.

Honestly I wouldn't mind the religious if they just weren't so god-damn annoying. Why don't they either grow a brain (c.f. critical thinking), or grow up (c.f. gods are invisible friends for grown ups).

It's bizarre that here in the 21st century bronze aged woo woo is still with us, arguably the proof that there is Extra Terrestrial Intelligence elsewhere in the cosmos is that they have NOT tried to contact us.

I wonder if some woo woo loving editor at el-Reg censors this?

Bronze badge
Paris Hilton

errr

dont straight people Fellate also?

Thumb Up

Stone him !

"Two points, ah, two flats, and a packet of gravel"

2 bob and a bag of plumbs to the reader that can name the film... !

Not good enough.

Apologising doesn't make it right, nor does it change his prejudiced opinions, it just means he got in trouble and wants to try and wriggle his way out.

About time too

Time those evil shellfish eaters were cast out aswell. Do you know only last week I saw a child missbehaving in our local supermarket and his mother completely failed to take him outside and stone him to death. No wonder our society is in such a state when we suffer these lapses in morals.

Coat

What's the fuss?

It's all just a bit of gay banter...

Paris Hilton

Fellatio kills?

Paris, obviously...

Black Helicopters

So, how serious is he ...

Is he going to have his apology tattooed on him ?

Jobs Halo

Just to be fair

What would be a suitable place on the body for certain clergymen to have "HUGE IDIOT" tattooed as a warning?

Thumb Down

Let me get this straight.

So, he's not criticising gay people, only the attitude that they should be treated equally.

Fuck him, and fuck his "apology".

Gold badge

Love the sinner, hate the sin

"I was not actually meaning to criticise individual homosexual persons, but the promoters of gay culture."

This is consistent with the above principle. He is explicitly exempting "individual persons" from his criticism and focussing on behaviour he doesn't like.

"Let us make it obligatory for homosexuals to have their backsides tattooed with the slogan SODOMY CAN SERIOUSLY DAMAGE YOUR HEALTH and their chins with FELLATIO KILLS."

This isn't. It clearly targets homosexuals whether or not they are actively promoting gay culture.

I don't think this chap's position is tenable. He comes across as someone who knows his views are unacceptable and who has hitherto managed to keep them quiet but who has suffered a momentary loss of control and blurted out everything. Now he wants to wind the clock back.

Thumb Up

"The chaplain to the London Stock Exchange"

I find it amusing considering that organisations involvement in buggering the economy.

Unhappy

Apology not accepted

It doesn't matter who he was intending his comments for. His views are offensive and should be kept to himself. Unfortunately the criminal justice bill doesn't allow for prosecuting him:

"[...] the discussion or criticism of sexual conduct or practices or the urging of persons to refrain from or modify such conduct or practices shall not be taken of itself to be threatening or intended to stir up hatred."

I'm extremely defensive of free speech but I do believe 'hate speech' should not be tolerated.

Unhappy

FELLATIO KILLS

bad news :*(

Thumb Down

Full and complete?

"I was not actually meaning to criticise individual homosexual persons, but the promoters of gay culture."

So that would be "full and complete" in the sense that lacks either fullness or completeness then?

I'm doubly irritated by this dweeb, being a non-straight Anglican.

Lighten up

Is he not entitled to an opinion?

Thumb Down

I was not actually meaning to criticise individual homosexual persons...

...only the ones who didn't shut up and stay in the closet.

Bronze badge
Gates Halo

@ stone him

Life of Brian.

not sure why i bovvered,

now all together, "He's not the messiah..........."

(Bills not the messiah either)

Bronze badge

Who thinks that the tattoo thing was a serious suggestion?

Other than all the above (and insane) commenters, that is.

Paris Hilton

re: So, how serious is he ...

I think you will find they are going to have full of shit tattooed on them...

http://tinyurl.com/4x5f2b

Paris because you can't have a Fellate story without her!

Stop

I don't have the numbers...

...but I'm pretty confident that religion has caused the deaths of more people than buggery has.

freedom

Doesn't matter if you agree with what he says or not, you should defend his right to say it (even if he later retracts it :p ).

to quote:

"I'm extremely defensive of free speech but I do believe 'hate speech' should not be tolerated."

No you are not...... you are only "extremely defensive" when agreed with or when your choices are not being knocked.

He made a stupid comment that some found offensive, nothing more and nothing less. Get over it...............

IT Angle

Some balance is needed here.....

What the hell - lighten up. The guy was having a laugh on his blog. He didnt mean it.

Freedom of speech and all that. Its satire - doubly protected.

Oh, and @ Stuart Harrison "How do you promote gay culture" - think Gok Wan or whatever hes called.

Im perfectly happy for gay people to be given equal rights, were all human, but I find it a bit much having that moron being given airtime to do nothing more that promote gay culture. If its truly not a lifestyle choice (and I believe you), then get him off my TV. Seriously, hes undone years of good for the gay rights movement.

This person should be entitled to satirise in exactly the same way as yould all be supporting if the comments were against Islam.

Alert

Tough - get out!

As the old adage says, "Never a truer word spoken in jest.", by that I mean you showed us your true colours. Off the cuff remarks often jump from the subconscious showing our real beliefs, without us realising.

Sorry, but you had time to think it through before you typed it into your blog, the world will be a better place without prats like you! Good riddance!

Pirate

Chill

The original story was that the comments were made with his tongue firmly in his cheek -fnaar fnarr.

Personally, I PMSL when this story first broke as it was completely ridiculous.

I suggest that everyone gets of their high horses and chill.

The guy is probably going to get a ***licking (make you own mind up here).

Gold badge
Coat

@Riscyrich

Is that some cunning attempt to play on the term "plumb bob" or are you dyslexic?

Anonymous Coward

Errr

D@v3 said: "dont straight people Fellate also?"

Some straight people are quite partial to a bit of back door action, so maybe women should have their arses tattooed as well.

Silver badge

Less public position

"These comments are now being looked at internally within the Diocese and he faces disciplinary procedures."

"looked at internally" Isn't this how they deal with the child abusers? I guess he will be shipped out to a sleepy back water to continue his homophobic hate crimes then.

@Riscyrich

Life of Brian. I don't like plums, can I have a virgin instead?

Coat

Does this mean...

...that he'll be defrocked?

dumbass

Well I think we can all agree that the guy is an idiot for thinking he could say something like that publically and not kick up a fuss, however I believe that someones personal views and their jobs should not combine. No one should be forced to resign or face disciplinary at work for something they say or do outside of work. Job and private life are not one.

@Stone him

"Two points, ah, two flats, and a packet of gravel"

How many dinari does that go for these days?

(nice reference btw!)

Silver badge

FELLATIO KILLS?

Which one dies? Wouldn't be the first time I've had a girl choke on it.

He sounds like he has some pent up anger. A good BJ will release that tension.

Silver badge

@Lighten up

Ivana Chagalot:

There is a difference between him being entitled to hold an opinion and him calling for "discouragements of homosexual practices after the style of warnings on cigarette packets. Let us make it obligatory for homosexuals to have their backsides tattooed..."

The right to hold an opinion comes with the attendant *responsibility* not to express that opinion in a way or advocating behaviour that infringes on the right of others to live their lives in a manner that doesn't harm others.

Go

@ TeeCee

>> Is that some cunning attempt to play on the term "plumb bob" or are you dyslexic?

I'm dyslexic, maybe I should get that tatoo on my forehead? Or at least my name in reverse so I can see it in the mirror...

Anonymous Coward

Did it have to be a tattoo?

They are kinda of permanent aren't they.

He may have meant T.A.T.U the Russian lesbian band and 3rd place Eurovision contestant (cheated they were), could have been quite kinky.

One could imagine their tight t-shirts emblazoned with the logos whilst draped on the buttocks or the lower jaw or a happy chap giving deep throat or a good seeing to at the baker's entrance.

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Good Stuff

I'm glad to hear things like this. It means that we are hearing the truth. Far too many people these days keep quiet for fear of offending, when it is not the words, but rather the attitude, that is offensive.

Best of all, this might show one or two more people that ALL religious observers are fruit-cakes, by definition.

@11:05 AC - Err

I am worried about you, you could have a very shocking experience. Please use a dictionary.

@ stone him

I suppose the modern day equivalent of shouting "Jehovah" is shouting "Vista/Apple/Linux" on a tech web site.

Bronze badge

@Ferry Boat.

Im baffled, apart from the slap that often occurs as the result of some impromptue(sp?) 'back door action' i can't see where the shock fits in, nor the need for a dictionary.

@Riscyrich

life of brian - it might have been quicker on this site to ask who did not know that

@D@v3

The shock would be coming to AC as it appears AC has confused fellatio with 'back door' action. Picture the scene for yourself.

Gold badge

Re: dumbass

"No one should be forced to resign or face disciplinary at work for something they say or do outside of work. Job and private life are not one."

Ordinarily a fair point, and in previous cases where people have been sacked for making unfavourable comments about their employers in a blog, I think the majority opinion has been that the employer should keep their nose out of their employees lives. (If you want to control my actions for all 168 hours of the week, you will have to quadruple my pay just for starters, chum!)

I would, however, offer two complications in this case. Firstly, I believe the official line of the CofE is that the ministry is not a job. (Either that, or it's a job but the employer is God, not any human agency.) Therefore, you might argue that those under holy orders are "at work" 24/7.

Secondly, if you do or say something outside work that indicates you aren't qualified for the job, then you should expect your employer to consider your position. In fact, if your job places you in a position of trust and you don't deserve that trust, perhaps your employer has an obligation to do so. (Duty of care to the rest of society and all that.)

To strike off on a completely different tack, consider a person who believes that children of a difference sex, race or religion are inherently inferior and don't deserve the full attention of the school system. You might defend their right to speak their views, but you probably wouldn't want to employ them as a teacher.

Coat

however...

Actually, am I the only one that actually thinks the tattoo on "teh arris" is a wicked idea!!!

not sure about the only on the chin tho

heh heh....

Flame

@Mark Donnison

"Doesn't matter if you agree with what he says or not, you should defend his right to say it (even if he later retracts it :p )."

"He made a stupid comment that some found offensive, nothing more and nothing less. Get over it"

No, he felt his position of power and privelege allows him to encourage others of the same mindset to abuse and denigrate a section of society he has issues with. He has put his hand up and declared himself to be a disgusting bigot of the first order and deserving of all the ridicule and reprobation he has since received.

As others have said, whether serious or not, his purpose was to promote the subjugation of homosexuals just as the Nazis did the Jews (and others) and as white Americans did to black Americans. The difference between the Nazis and this bigot is that where the Nazis picked on people who had made a lifestyle choice, he wants to attack people for something that is inherent. Which makes him even more despicable. The only reason he didn't include blacks or women, who have also borne the brunt of religious bigotry, is that, by and large, you can easily tell whether a person is black or female without additional tagging!

Being gay doesn't make you any more of a threat to society than does the fact that you might be black, a redhead, male, or female. It's just that some people who make a choice to follow a particular religion or creed often need to find some group of people they are against just to make themselves feel good.

Of course, he is free to say these things, so that we can then properly judge him for the idiot that he is and ensure that he is removed from any position where he might be able to convince other similar idiots that he knows what he is talking about!

Go

@ michael

True, but where's the fun... or are you not allowed any?

Maybe you should take up part time role with Rev Peter Mullen, doubt he's going to be having much fun for a while.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.