Feeds

back to article Axmark quits Sun cos he 'hates' working for the man

David Axmark, co-founder of MySQL, has quit Sun Microsystems because he “hates” all the rules he has to follow at the company. “I have thought about my role at Sun and decided that I am better off in smaller organisations,” wrote Axmark in his resignation letter, according to a blog post from Sun flack Kaj Arnö. “I HATE all the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

David Axmark

Is the future of open source. He gets lots of people to do his work for free, then he sells that work, signs on with the buyer then quits once he's certain he can put that employment on his resume.

Go Open Saucers Go! I think I'll start an open source company - anybody want a "job"?

Happy

RIF

This is exactly the kind of RIF I was asking for on Jon's blog the other day.

Anonymous Coward

Reasons

>> Axmark quits Sun cos he 'hates' working for the man

Well, that and the fact that he minted and doesn't need to work for anyone.

Silver badge
Happy

Well, well

Well for those who envy Axmark and Mounty and the Skype gang, just do the same.

After some ten to fifteen years, perhaps, you will, if possible, take the money and consider what you want to do as an adult.

And, honestly, I do not think Suns intention was to bye the "persons" but rather the product with its users.

Boffin

Sun is on its death bed, and Axmark wanted out

If three years ago a company had $7.4B of cash on hand, but now its entire market cap has

fallen to $4.39B, how much confidence would you have in the management?

At first flash of Jonahtan, we raced down to see.

Standing there on Newark shore.

Waiting for the Sun

Can you feel it now that doom has come.

And its time to live in the scattered sun.

Waiting for the Sun

Waiting.... waiting.... waiting.... waiting....

Waiting for Jon to go- run along

Waiting for Jon to go- hear my song

Waiting for Jon to go - run along

Waiting for you to tell him what went wrong

This is the strangest CEO Ive ever known.

Yeah!

David Doesn't Get It

Breaking the rules is part of the fun of working at Sun.

Pirate

Typical problems at Sun...

Sun has long suffered from too much ego at the top. They had problems under Scott, but things have not improved under Jonathan. The basic problem is this: Nobody is listening to the engineers, and (increasingly) the customers. Customers are getting sick of this and starting to replace Sun kit with IBM kit, because IBM is prepared to deliver (and support!) what they want. Sun, it seems, just can't be bothered with its paying customers' needs.

I work for one of Sun's top-20 customers in terms of revenue. They're turning their back on Solaris and going to IBM for future projects. You'd think Sun would be worried - but it doesn't look that way. They're just as full of themselves as ever, and blissfully unaware that they're getting devoured by Linux on the low-end market and killed by IBM in the high-end arena.

As far as Axmark is concerned, he's just one in a long line of people whose companies have been bought up by Sun, worked out his obligatory time at the company - and then left, taking all his knowledge with him. Sun is pretty bad when it comes to buying out other companies - they usually pay over the odds, and end up with most of the talent leaving - leaving Sun with an empty, worthless shell. Not really good business.

Same old story

Small company does something well.

Big company sees small company's potential.

Big company buys small company promising to keep them running as they always were.

Big company tries to make small company do everything their way.

Small company employees leave in frustration taking expertise with them.

Small company's customers slowly notice worsening service and look for alternatives.

Silver badge

@David Kelly

After Big Company buys Small Company - Small Company no longer has "a way". If that's not OK then don't sell. If you take the money you've got to do what they say.

@Anonymous Coward

I worked at Sun for over a decade and left this summer: in my opinion engineering leads the company and the company is very much aware of Linux (have you been following OpenSolaris?).

Anonymous Coward

Sun is a good place!

Kelly, I don't hate working for Sun.

I love that Sun is betting on Open Source for its main revenue, not

just as a side show (even if they have more work to do).

And I actually liked Sun enough to try to work in such a large

company, in spite of my hatred of bureaucracy needed in *all* large

organizations.

/David Axmark

This topic is closed for new posts.