back to article Spectrum Bridge solves the white space problem

Last month saw the launch of SpecEx, allowing companies to sell on spectrum licences - but SpecEx backers Spectrum Bridge want to see us all competing for a few MHz in the brave new world of secondary markets. America's FCC is firmly committed to a liberalisation of spectrum ownership, including sub-letting and reselling of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Bah, Spectrum Bridge?

I was playing that 25 years ago!

http://www.theatticbug.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3650

2. Ishkandar
    Happy

More on the financial news

The US is hit by another financial crisis as the sub-prime spectrum market imploded !! Sub-prime spectrum is bundles with some better spectrum and marketed as prime spectrum by unscrupulous dealers . Companies caught holding the toxic, worthless bundles are hoping that sucker, oops I mean succor, will come along to bail them out of the mess they made for themselves.

Now for the other news....

3. Stewart Haywood
    Boffin

I don't think that they have thought too hard

I would rent chunks of spectrum by width, frequency, time, geography and code. Then I could let the same chunk of spectrum to multiple users at the same time in the same location using different codes. Al I have to do is to offer max noise levels as a quality indicator. I can even let chunks of spectrum of different widths that overlap. Use frequency hopping and time slot hopping and I could cram even more users in there.

4. Disco-Legend-Zeke
    Paris Hilton

The Airwaves Belong to the People.

The sale by the FCC of our (800 MHz) airwaves brought in $22 Billion bucks. Less than ten dollars a head for US citizens.

The greedy carriers will then charge us $30 PER MONTH to use it.

We could have had another dozen or so free HDTV channels, but we will pay the cable company $78 a month.

And we wonder why the economy is in the dumper.

Paris cause she can adfford it all.

5. druck Silver badge
    Stop

Pile up of the airwaves

"Large lots aren't just split up by geography on SpecEx; spectrum can also be licensed by time both in terms of slots, such as allowing multiple licensees to share a frequency on alternate seconds, and time of day."

This makes about as much sense, and will probably work less well, than selling each lane of a motorway (US freeway) in both in geographical chunks and time. Each 100 meter (yard) section of each lane would have traffic running in alternate directions at different times of the day. On top of that you'd allow more "white space" vehicles to drive up the gaps between lanes.

It's all going to lead to one almighty pile up, and no one will be going anywhere over the airwaves.

6. Nano nano
    Boffin

Absence of radiation ...

... equals "black space".

Or have I said this before ... oh yes, I have.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like