Feeds

back to article Credit agencies get death lists

Credit agencies and other organisations will receive a weekly encrypted list of deaths from the official registrar to stop fraudsters using the identities of the recently deceased to apply for credit cards and identity documents. Information on about 12,000 deaths a week will be sent out by the General Register for England and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Thumb Down

Weekly, eh?

Lovely. Gives the con men up to seven days to ply their nefarious trade.

Joke

Could be a problem for ...

... Steve Jobs given his repeated habit of dying

Stop

Someone better alert the newspapers

It would seem the obituary page needs to be encrypted.

(ok ok it is actually nice to see information security being thought of for a change)

This post has been deleted by its author

A plea ...

Pleeeease let's not have these as encrypted spreadsheets that could get 'lost'/made public once decrypted - too simplistic and prey to the CD/memory stick scenario.

Better to have some mechanism that could update the agencies' systems in a secure manner - e.g. agency sends encrypted (new key each month !) name/DOB/temporary record ID list to registrar's office, office sends back (encrypted) record ID of records to be updated.

Or something better that someone PAID to be good at such things has come up with - Schneier or Anderson for example.

Thumb Down

That'll work ??

But it didn't stop Amex sending an unsolicited credit card to a name I made up for a third party online survey, whose name they then flogged to Amex, who then decided that he must be worthy of a credit card, even though he DOESN'T EXIST!!

Silver badge

And what happens when...

... someone presses the wrong key or mis-spells a name and some poor (but perfectly alive) sod finds that his credit cards have all been cancelled because "the computer says you're dead"!

Anonymous Coward

Kill them?

If someone takes the identity of a dead person, is it illegal to kill them since technically they are already dead?

@ "that'll work"

Quote - "But it didn't stop Amex sending an unsolicited credit card to a name I made up for a third party online survey, whose name they then flogged to Amex, who then decided that he must be worthy of a credit card, even though he DOESN'T EXIST!"

Where was this online survey? I coul ddo with a few credit cards, particularly in names of people who don't exist ;)

Flame

Way of measuring performance

Isn't this just a way for them to measure how many people they have drove to suicide with their demands for repayment?

Back in the day when credit cards didn't exist, if you didn't have the money to pay for somthing you didn't have it - simple as.

These companies make me sick. They are directly responsible for the trillion pounds of consumer debt in this country, with little hope of getting it all back so they will screw up the ecomomy even more than it is now...

This topic is closed for new posts.