back to article Catholic priests cane YouTube over blasphemous vids

A group of US priests has demanded YouTube show Catholics the same respect it shows to Jews when it comes to removing sacrilegeous videos. The Confraternity of the Catholic Clergy claims that the video sharing site and general moral cesspit carries at least 40 videos showing “blasphemous sacrilege against the Most Holy …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

what a shame

Jesus Crisps are yummy, don't mistreat them ;)

2. Simon C

Dont these religions realise

that fuss like this only creates further contempt?

The peeing on the memorial vid I believe to be worse, because the memorial is a symbol of lives being lost during a tragic period of the worlds history - this is based on fact

People running off with a consecrated piece of bread?? - Its based upon the embodiment of the Lord Jesus Christ and his blood is wine...which is based on by rights, pure fabrication.

The whole communion thing is symbolic of your belief in a religion.

The memorial is symbolic of your respect for the dead.

As an atheist I treat with respect the memorials for all walks of life, because no life should be taken like that.

As for a piece of consecrated bread....get over it.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No comparison

They picked a rubbish comparison to make really as the teen pissing on the Holocaust memorial isn't committing blasphemy, it's just being plain disrespectful of a horrific occurrence which actually happened in our collective histroy. You don't need to be Jewish to be offended by it or even believe in any religion per se. Wheras their case relies on the idea of believing that Catholicism is more than just a bunch of made up mumbo-jumbo in the first place and important enough that we should all tread lightly.

Aw, go on Monsieur Creosote, just one more wafer thin slice of his noodliness's appendage?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Transubstantiation...

...the belief that the flesh of your prophet passes through your digestive tract and out the other end.

Haven't they got more pressing things to be discussing? Like how to stop molestation and rape of children?

5. Anonymous John
    Coat

"footage of a host being flushed down a toilet."

And where does it go after being eaten?

Mine's the once with the free food from the church in the pocket.

6. Jim Coleman
    Coat

Really...

...does anyone really still believe in Jehovah any more?

I've started praying to the LHC instead.

Bloody irrelevant deity-bothering blarkboons!

Mine's the one with "God is dead and no-one cares" written on the back.

7. Niall
    Joke

Mentally misplaced period

"...a teenager urinating on a Holocaust memorial in Greece after five days of pressure. YouTube duly removed the vid."

After all that build up the memorial probably just got hit by accident.

8. Joseph Harris

What's good for the goose....

If they're going to take down videos offensive to Jews, they should do the same for everyone else. Catholics, Muslims, Atheists, Jedi, Pastafarians. That's the problem with censorship.

9. The Other Steve
    Flame

Dress wearing kiddy fiddlers indulging in canabilism.

"A group of US priests has demanded YouTube show Catholics the same respect it shows to Jews"

I think that's exactly right, they should ignore them both quite equally when they whine about acts of sacrilege. I find acts of religious worship deeply offensive, but can I have them banned, or even removed from youtube ? No, can I fuck. If I respect your opinion that there's a great beardy bloke in the sky who grants wishes if people ask nicely and behave in a way that pleases him, despite thousands of years of evidence to the contrary, will you undertake to respect my opinion that you're deluded lunatic who should be locked up for their own safety and that of wider society ?

No ? What's that ? "I'll burn in hell with all the other believers ?" Well fuck you then.

"and the outbreak of host-jacking as documented on YouTube could mean a return to the traditional drop-on-tongue method."

I wouldn't want a Catholic priest putting his hands any where near my mouth. With a lot of folk that would be because you don't know where they've been. With Catholic priests, it's quite the opposite.

"and to fast for three hours before mass instead of the current two"

I always thought that was because you only get a tiny sip of wine, and let's face it, that much won't get you shitfaced on a full stomach, and shitfaced is about the only way you'd want to sit through the unlovely dirge that is a Catholic mass and it's attendant wank.

What a vile ceremony the Eucharist is, "eat this, it is the body Christ". Fuck you mate! I'm not putting that in my mouth, it's well past it's sell by, innit ?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

catholicism = cannibalism ?

just wondering.

maybe they can send the excess containers of 'host' to feed some poor country. That stuff is pretty nutricious.

also in califonia , any place serving food that has more then 25 outlets will be required to post nutrition facts. I for one wanna know how many calories are in it ...

let's hope they are not made in china ...

And if they insist on having those videos removed. fine. remove them , we'll replace them with the news broadcasts showing names and faces off the 'fallen' priests.

11. Maverick
    Black Helicopters

Communion wine

If only we'd videod ourselves as teenagers when some friends and i broke into our school chapel and got wasted on communion wine. That would be the ultimate YouTube video to send me to hell. Nice wine though, those Catholic priests do have good taste.

12. Mowds
    Coat

Liberal innovations?

How is putting some bread into your own mouth rather than someone else doing it a liberal innovation? Really, do these people expect to be taken seriously?

Mines the one with the blasphemous statement written on it.

13. adnim

The onus is on god

to punish. cause server crashes, financial meltdown etc. etc. Why are priests even worrying over this. Their all seeing god is fully aware of all the evils we do and will deal with them accordingly and in as timely a fashion as he/she/it sees fit. The same goes for allah, buddah, krishna, the flying spaghetti monster et al. These deities do not need the puny interference of mere mortals to sort out the naughty ones. I would rather succumb to the will of a god than the will of a man/woman supposedly acting on behalf of that god. Don't these religious types realise that god is god, the gaffer, boss. The omnipotent, omnipresent dealer in all that is good and evil. Remember everything is gods will from the murder of thousands of people in collapsing skyscrapers, collateral damage in Iraq and the sexual abuse of children to the birth of a new born and our ability to love.

in the words of Matt Johnson, from the somewhat prophetic song Armageddon Days:

But god didn't build himself that throne.

God doesn't live in Israel or Rome.

God doesn't belong to the yankee dollar.

God doesn't plant the bombs for hezbollah.

God doesn't even go to church.

And god won't send us down to allah to burn.

No, god will remind us what we already know.

That the human race is about to reap what it's sown.

14. Krissie
    Alert

Erm, hold on a minute here!

"Put in layman’s terms, this means mistreatment of the host – or as one Vulture put it "that little biscuit” – which, after the appropriate liturgy, is transubstantiated into the body of Jesus Christ during the Catholic mass."

Erm... transubstantiated after the appropriate liturgy from the priest - Magic - isn't that basically witchcraft?

Worse still... eating the actual body of Christ - isn't that cannibalism... worse yet, it's eating your saviour! Dissolving bits of your saviour in the vat of hydrochloric acid and enzymes known as the human stomach is a holy act?

...and they complain about youtube hosting a few videos of people running away with the little biscuit?

Hmmmmm. Curiouser and curiouser

15. mystra

All a bunch of cannibals

The wafer is an embodiment of Jesu Criste....so Catholics are eating a piece of a man raised from the dead i.e. cannibals and zombies. I would think as a whole one would be happy that the little tidbit was flushed....after all the Church doesn't condone cannibalism does it??

Sacrilege like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Comparing that to plain disrespect is just stupidity.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Censorship is unacceptable in a free society

To be a free society, we need to be able to discuss anything freely without a censor deciding what we can and can't discuss. Once you start making exceptions you go down the slippery slope. Look at the UK and it's "make Internet safe for Children to read". They wouldn't dare make a public library into a Children only section, yet they try to make the internet into a Children only section!

They're just words.

17. DirkGently
    Joke

Surely...

"the offensive YouTube vids include footage of a host being flushed down a toilet"

was just cutting out the middle man.

Christopher Hitchens mentions something about this in his book "god is Not Great"... You've got to give the christians (and other religious communities) one thing - they provide excellent material for comedy.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a joke

Any chance these people can die and leave everyone else to climb out of the Dark Ages?

19. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Rather than doing this...

Rather than showing every different type of voodoo the same respect why don't we just show them all no respect at all? I don't believe in fairy tales or the bogeyman but I am finding it harder and harder to walk the fine line where I don't upset any of different fundamentalist religious groups. If someone wants to be a cock and nick a bit of bread then that's not something that really matters in the grand scheme of things. If someone wants to piss against a monument to something that happened 60 years ago is it really going to end the world? I can't name my teddybear after one of the most popular names in the world because it might offend.

20. Badminstyles
    Boffin

@ Simon C

"The whole communion thing is symbolic of your belief in a religion."

Not if you are Catholic.

c.1490-1700 most of Christian Europe was in a slight quandary over this little problem which ended up causing a slight division between Catholics and everyone else resulting in lots of little reformations.

21. Elmer Phud

@ Jim Coleman

You said 'Jehovah'!!!

Stone him.

Dunno what the god-botherers are on about, ritualised cannibalism isn't something they thought up just a few hundred years ago. Folks have been at it a lot longer than that.

Anyway, all that stuff about dodgy priests being kiddie-fiddlers and the ensuing cover ups - they keep real quiet about that then they get all uppity about a few crackers and supermarket 'value' wine. Are the bikkies Kosher or they made by Muslims? (like not trashing the merkin flag which is usually made in China)

Takes the biscuit, dunnit.

22. sektah

Turn the other cheek

nm

23. skeptical i
    Thumb Down

Mighty thin-skinned, are we.

How typical that the bully Catholic church (I point to its long and proud history of, um, love and tolerance (?) of other religions and viewpoints) can not withstand the slightest perceived slight, criticism, or humour at its expense. One should not have to say "grow up already" to an institution that's been around for- freaking- ever, but here we are. Such nonsense only makes it more difficult for individual priests to do real and useful good works when they have to toe such an absurd company line; I wonder how many rue the day that Peter in Rome won church doctrine control over Patrick in Ireland.

How well do the wafers hold up as coffee dunkers?

24. DV Henkel-Wallace
    Boffin

"mistreatment of the host???"

How exactly do you mistreat a host? Send it malformed packets? Rough up its IP address?

25. anarchic-teapot
    Boffin

Re Liberal innovations?

"How is putting some bread into your own mouth rather than someone else doing it a liberal innovation? "

'S'called Protestantism.

26. Rick Dickinson

As Tom Lehrer so aptly put it....

First you get down on your knees, Fiddle with your rosaries, Bow your head with great respect,

And genuflect, genuflect, genuflect!

Do whatever steps you want if, You have cleared them with the pontiff. Everybody say his own, Kyrie Eleison,

Doin' the Vatican Rag.

Get in line in that processional, Step into that small confessional, There, the guy who's got religion'll Tell you if your sin's original.

If it is, try playin' it safer, Drink the wine and chew the wafer,

Two, four, six, eight, Time to transubstantiate!

So get down upon your knees, Fiddle with your rosaries, Bow your head with great respect,

And genuflect, genuflect, genuflect!

Make a cross on your abdomen, When in Rome, do like a Roman,

Ave Maria, Gee, it's good to see ya,

Gettin' ecstatic and Sorta dramatic and Doin' the Vatican Rag!

27. Mark
    Thumb Down

re: What's good for the goose....

So when the memorial of the pope after his death is pissed on and a U tube vid shown, that can be removed.

Real people died in the holocaust. And that happened whether you believed in God, Satan, Nothing or the FSM. They died.

And that was why the memorial vid was taken down. Not for sacrilege but for the contempt shown for the real people who died and the real people who survived in a small way from the horror.

Same as if the War Memorial were to be pissed on and video'd: the people who died for our country had been pissed on. Not christianity.

28. Andy

How many....

biscuits do I have to collect to make a whole Jesus?

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Simple

Can't they just forgive YouTube?

30. Robert Simpson

hmmm

we really need an inverted crucifix (no, not the bloody st peter's version, the blasphemous one which looks just like auld pete's version) icon

welcome to the holy roman empire

31. Christopher Wrinn
    Stop

To speak up for the underdog...

... who I think, on theReg at least, is very under-represented, I feel it is more a matter of equal treatment. If Youtube will remove videos that are sacrilegious to the Jews, but not to the Catholic Church, that's discrimination.

You can say what you want about the Church and its practices and all, but Equal treatment means Equal, which means either they should re-post the videos removed for the Jews, or remove the videos requested by the Church.

This is a grave issue to a great many people in the world. I applaud the Priests for having the courage to speak up on it.

/Stop - because y'all should stop ragging on people for their beliefs, especially those of you who don't allow people to rag on you for yours.

32. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Latin

Well, the new pope has already brought back the Mass read in Latin...

33. Joe Flynn
    Stop

Hang on.

If this video is removed, Youtube is effectivley saying that as a company, they believe in transubstantiation. I'm sure protestants find that also very offensive.

34. Bob Gulien

Pat Condell

They managed to ban Pat Condell...

http://www.patcondell.net/index.html

35. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Gawd!

Nazi's + money + mafia + banking + hitler youth = Catholic church

36. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Er, hate to be the one to tell you this....

RE: "Hell, before we know it it’ll be back to Latin and fish on Fridays."

I've lived in large Catholic areas and some churches still offer Mass in Latin once a week, and some people still eat fish on Fridays, but mainly during Lent. Burger King even offers specials on fish sandwiches during Lent. The US is *way* too religious.

37. Michael

Hmmmm.

Ok, I grant the difference between pissing on a memorial and stealing some communion bread.

HOWEVER,

If you created some you tube videos that amounted to "Allah can eat me", "God can eat me", and "Yahweh can eat me". I'll bet you they'd be pulled down for being disrespectful. The point isn't whether or not the religion is made up or not. The point is the videos are deliberate stabs of disrespect toward the Catholic church.

According to YouTube's community guidelines:

"We encourage free speech and defend everyone's right to express unpopular points of view. But we don't permit hate speech (speech which attacks or demeans a group based on race or ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender, age, veteran status, and sexual orientation/gender identity). "

Videos of people stealing the sacraments serves no purpose other than to demean or attack Catholicism, so are probably in violation of the rule.

I don't care what you think about religion - atheist, jew, buddhist, taoist, catholic, protestant, muslim, or hindu, I don't care. The point is that it's disrespectful, in poor taste, and OBVIOUSLY is intended only to inflame.

kthxbye

38. yeah, right.

goose and gander

If Google/YouTube is going to make religious exceptions for the Jewish lobby, then it needs to make exceptions for all the other religions and remove anything THEY find "sacrilegious". Otherwise they're just another religion-pushing bunch of hypocrites who not only DO evil, but ARE evil.

Personally, I'd rather they didn't bow or give exceptions to any religion, since it's the only way to finally how how ludicrous they all are except as organizations to control people.

39. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

We SHOULD be ragging - they do it!

@Christopher Wrinn

I've never had a problem with the catholic church ragging on me for my beliefs, because the catholic church started doing so during the time of the Roman Empire and has never relented. I don't have much of a choice - I'm Pagan.

An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, as they themselves say (and don't quote "turn the other cheek", because they themselves only apply it when it suits, and it most certainly doesn't stop them ragging on me for my beliefs.)

The catholic church in this story has shown itself, as ever, to be entirely hippocritical.

40. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@peeps

@ac 1834- Brought back the right to read mass in latin, not the requirement to.

@Christopher Wrinn - Bang on! Either they treat all religions the same, or not at all. Remove everything that every *PROPER* religion finds sacrilegious or none at all.

@sektah - "turn the other cheek" is not about letting someone do something unpleasant to you twice, it's about passive resistance and orthodox Jews hitting someone 'below' them with a back handed slap across the cheek, with the left hand (I think) because they couldn't use the other because it's unclean. You turn the other cheek to force them to use the same hand to do a forward handed slap, which won't really hurt and will make them look like a dick. Or something like that, probably not very clearly explained as I'm a bit pished.

@Joe Flynn - No, they don't. They just don't believe it.

41. Christopher Wrinn
    Thumb Down

Eh? PCKB?

@Anonymous Coward - if you are going to generalize what individuals who belong to the Church do to your religion, then let's turn it around in fair play. Is this a case of the Pot Calling the Kettle Black? In the time of the Roman Empire, the Church was the little player and was being tortured, set aflame alive, and fed to lions for pleasure, and even gambling, by the Roman Empire. In Ireland, St. Patrick was attacked by Druids relentlessly. Further back, the Jews have never had good relationships with their Pagan neighbors. We can go all day about this, but please, do point out where a Catholic, on Youtube, is posting videos, for instance, taking a dump in the sacrificial offering bowl to Kinich Ahau, or even something similar? This would be true "hypocrisy".

By what I said, if you find that video, you should have every right to have Youtube take the video down for being sacrilegious against your religion, if you want. I'm not stopping you.

I really don't need to debate "Turn the other cheek" or "Eye for an eye" with you, as it would do no good anyway. I've seen as much "selfless" "Turn the other cheek" in the history of Pagans as I have seen "Eye for an eye" in the history of the Church and vice versa.

The enmity between these two groups is the fault of both sides and not of innocent individuals. Can we move on now? kthx!

@Michael: "I don't care what you think about religion - atheist, jew, buddhist, taoist, catholic, protestant, muslim, or hindu, I don't care. The point is that it's disrespectful, in poor taste, and OBVIOUSLY is intended only to inflame." Amen! (teehee)

42. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Not cannibals...

... although many religious people do confuse themselves with God, or at least act under the belief that whatever they think must be how he feels, but no.

They are not cannibals.

The correct term is "deivores", to match omnivores, carnivores and ... er, ok, vegetarians. Oops.

But anyway.

Deivorous: god-eating.

43. Bear

civility and some respect

Clearly the adolescents who put the videos up intended to offend. In a civil society, no one really supports behaviour which is intended to be offensive: and only adolescents really indulge in this pointless offensiveness.

There is entire range of offensive behaviour which is considered to be criminal and perpetrators are prosecuted accordingly. Poofter bashing is one such example.

Perhaps, El Reg readers should extend the courtesy they demand be shown for themselves to other people and accept that there are minimum standards for behaviour in civil society. Just because some adolescent, or someone who has never grown beyond that, finds that hard, consider some people might think that they deserve to be beaten to a pulp, but refrain from doing so because they realise this is inappropriate behaviour.

44. Krissie

Back where it belongs...

@Christopher Wrinn

"... generalize what individuals who belong to the Church do to your religion, then let's turn it around in fair play. Is this a case of the Pot Calling the Kettle Black? In the time of the Roman Empire, the Church was the little player and was being tortured, set aflame alive, and fed to lions for pleasure, and even gambling, by the Roman Empire."

You mean of course until the roman empire became Catholic, and forced catholicism upon the whole of europe by various means... if you're going to get all historical, then let's not be so selective about the history. There was no such thing as Catholicism untill the Roman Empire - that's why it's called the Roman Catholic Church. True Hippocracy is claiming that I will go to hell for being pagan... that I am sinful, while failing to have taken proper action (or even give a meaningful apology) for priests abusing young boys. True hippocracy is telling me that I am going to hell for my beliefs, and that I am essentially the spawn of satan for what I believe, and even that I am worthy of persecutipon, while demanding that their beliefs are respected.

Sorry Christopher, but near 2 millenia of history stands against you on this one, including, but not limited to the Spanish Inquizition (and it's current "doctrine of the faith" incarnation), and religious endorsement of the Malleus Malificarum... Oh, and then there's the persecution of anybody that didn't agree with Galen for 1500 years, and the threats they made to Gallileo for stating that the earth revolves around the sun.

In the modern day, I'm different from pagans of old (in that I defend myself by the pen, not by the sword) - I'll respect those that respect me and earn it. The Catholic church however is not different in this regard - it's still disrespecting me and my beliefs.

45. The Mighty Spang
    Flame

lets conduct a scientific experiement

as it's the only way of sorting this out.

transubstatiation or however you want to spell it is not metaphorical. its fact. it *actually* changes into the body of christ. so lets feed one to a believer, then rush them into an operating theatre to extract said body of christ.

extract the dna - ta da - the 2nd coming.

or its just a biscuit.

46. David Wilkinson
    Stop

Don't watch the video.

In a free society the solution to offensive material is not to watch it. I know I won't.

If they want to do something track down the thief, press charges and post the video of him doing community service on you tube.

47. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

video of flushing?

Heck, I'm just glad they didn't show video of it coming out the other end. Ok, I'm all done; washed my hands and getting me coat.

48. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

The real reason

We all know that they are disgruntled with youtube because it has a policy against posting kiddy porn; and they (them catholic priests) see this as unfair discrimination.

Ha ha! No lightning bolt. <frazzle>

49. Moss Icely Spaceport
    Stop

Thank you for upgrading to God Version 5.76

There have literally been thousands of "gods" during Man's evolution on earth. Probably tens of thousands, if we count all the rituals, talisman and flying spaghetti monsters.

None of them are true, although some have persisted through time. A few religions have grown rich and powerful. Some are based purely on hatred.

I don't care what people put on YouTube. I don't have to look at it and I don't exactly 'bump into' this stuff in my daily life, and I am online a lot.

This is just another case of one religion saying 'our god is better/bigger/more important/has better teeth than yours', yadda, yadda, yadda.

No god, never was, never will be. One day Man, as a race, will wake from this prehistoric nightmare.

50. Alex Nich
    Dead Vulture

Really?

Yup, some terrible stuff has been done by the catholic church, and in the name of the catholic church. Don't forget, though! Alot of great things have also been done by and in the name of the church.

Lives have been taken. Lives have been saved. Lies have been told. Truth has been shared. Knowledge and Learning has been destroyed. Knowledge and Learning have been preserved. Hope has been killed. Hope has been given.

Before we have a Holy Flame War. Let's take a deep breath.

Many religious people have cogent reasoning for their beliefs, some are basically brainwashed. Many atheists have a good logical argument for not believing, others are just rebelling/knee-jerk rejecting.

People come in all sorts. Having a given faith doesn't change the fact that we are human, and prone to doing stupid things and trying to feel OK about it afterwards. This is not what religion is about, but it how it is often used. Why haven't we figured this out? Can't we all understand that we might not all agree with each other and just DEAL WITH IT?

But, back to the article: Is a a group of rabbis requesting the takedown of a video of someone pissing on a Holocaust memorial the same as a group of priests requesting the takedown of videos showing the defamation of an object that is sacred and holy to them?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like